Thread: NM Recognition of CO permits in jeopardy!

Las Cruces, New Mexico

NM Recognition of CO permits in jeopardy!

Short story: NM DPS is concerned about people using TX and AZ permits instead of NM permits. They pushed for legislative changes and didn't get it so now they're doing something that could endanger reciprocity with other states.

Basically they're using a novel interpretation of NM law to say all out-of-state permits are invalid and then saying they only intend to enforce against NM residents. But, in theory, they could arrest anybody with an out of state permit if they wanted to. I think that's too much arbitrary power for any police to wield.

I'm trying to get them to go about this the right way instead of doing something we could all regret later.

(and for the record, I am not advertising any AZ or TX courses for NM residents)

[letter withdrawn for now for tactical reasons]
    Last edited by PracticalTactical; 04-08-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Free, Colorado, USA
    Not allowing residents to carry with out of state permits is nothing new. But I doubt they will stop recognizing other states with whom they have reciprocity, including CO. That would be a can of worms that I doubt very much anyone in the Legislature down there would allow, as well as the Governor. I could see they wouldn't recognize a CO resident with a NH permit but not a CO resident CCW. I don't think it will go anywhere beyond that, and even doubt that will happen.

Arapahoe County CO, ,
    Regardless of whether it's enforced against CO permit holders, if NM statutorily refuses recognition of the CO permit, CO statute will cause non-recognition of NM permits here. Definitely a giant leap backward.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" Patrick Henry (ironically a slave owner), 1775 Mar 23.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    One small step for NM legislators, one giant stumble for mankind (in both states).
    Last edited by since9; 04-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.