• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NM Recognition of CO permits in jeopardy!

PracticalTactical

Short story: NM DPS is concerned about people using TX and AZ permits instead of NM permits. They pushed for legislative changes and didn't get it so now they're doing something that could endanger reciprocity with other states.

Basically they're using a novel interpretation of NM law to say all out-of-state permits are invalid and then saying they only intend to enforce against NM residents. But, in theory, they could arrest anybody with an out of state permit if they wanted to. I think that's too much arbitrary power for any police to wield.

I'm trying to get them to go about this the right way instead of doing something we could all regret later.

(and for the record, I am not advertising any AZ or TX courses for NM residents)

------------------

[letter withdrawn for now for tactical reasons]

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Not allowing residents to carry with out of state permits is nothing new. But I doubt they will stop recognizing other states with whom they have reciprocity, including CO. That would be a can of worms that I doubt very much anyone in the Legislature down there would allow, as well as the Governor. I could see they wouldn't recognize a CO resident with a NH permit but not a CO resident CCW. I don't think it will go anywhere beyond that, and even doubt that will happen.

Anubis

Regardless of whether it's enforced against CO permit holders, if NM statutorily refuses recognition of the CO permit, CO statute will cause non-recognition of NM permits here. Definitely a giant leap backward.