• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might be moving to Charlottesville

Jay

So my girl and I might be moving to Charlottesville area she has an interview at UVA Medical Center, but it seems very promising as she has been in constant contact with the manager of the department she would be in.

OK... onto my question we live in New Hampshire when and if we move down there keeping the fingers crossed. Will my New Hampshire carry license qualify me to get a Virginia permit or will I still have to take some type of safety course??

Blk97F150

So my girl and I might be moving to Charlottesville area she has an interview at UVA Medical Center, but it seems very promising as she has been in constant contact with the manager of the department she would be in.

OK... onto my question we live in New Hampshire when and if we move down there keeping the fingers crossed. Will my New Hampshire carry license qualify me to get a Virginia permit or will I still have to take some type of safety course??

Here are the permit requirements for a concealed handgun permit:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaConcealedHandgunPermit

No permit needed to open carry. :banana:

Good luck on the job prospect.... hope it goes well for her.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
It would seem from my brief reading that NH did not require you to attend some kind of firearms safety training, correct?

If that is the case, you would need to do one of the following to apply for a Va. permit:

Demonstration of competence:

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

Jay

It would seem from my brief reading that NH did not require you to attend some kind of firearms safety training, correct?

That is correct I did not have to take any safety course for the New Hampshire license just fill out an application (one piece of paper) pay $10.00 and they hand it to you in about six days :)

My best friend is a cop and NRA Instructor I will see if he can get me into one of his classes before I move down then. As long as they will accept it form out of state??