• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government shut down?

MikeTheGreek

Now, I don't know that much about the Government, because I tent to think politics are utterly retarded, and I don't pay much attention.

But, does anybody think this is actually going to happen?

If it does, I'm not surprise. 14 trillion in the hole for a "War on oil" that went from a "get rich quick" scheme, to a "lose all our money" scheme, so when I heard this on the news I just laughed.

I heard the active & deployed soldiers will still get paid, and the rest MAY only have delayed paychecks for a week or two, so that's one of the only reasons I don't really care about this whole thing right now.

Other thoughts?

eye95

It has happened before and can happen again. If Congress does not pass a spending bill today, the federal government has no lawful authority to spend money tomorrow.

Remember, though, this whole "crisis" exists because one party had control over the entire appropriation process--and failed to get the job done last year. The other party now has control of the house in which spending legislation originates and has done its job, passing a spending authorization. The hang-up is the house that is still controlled by the party that failed in its job, the leadership of which refuses to even consider the spending bill that has already been sent to it for action.

On edit: This is not OC-related. The thread belongs in the Social Lounge.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

It has happened before and can happen again. If Congress does not pass a spending bill today, the federal government has no lawful authority to spend money tomorrow.

Remember, though, this whole "crisis" exists because one party had control over the entire appropriation process--and failed to get the job done last year. The other party now has control of the house in which spending legislation originates and has done its job, passing a spending authorization. The hang-up is the house that is still controlled by the party that failed in its job, the leadership of which refuses to even consider the spending bill that has already been sent to it for action.

On edit: This is not OC-related. The thread belongs in the Social Lounge.

Thanks for the info, and sorry! Didn't see that it was for OC Hot Topics only

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
My fellow comrades and I (military) are considering going infront of walmart in our uniforms and holding signs, "Will work for food." (Name/Branch tapes and rank would be covered up)

This is assuming the president Vetos a bill that would continue our pay, which he has said he will do.

MikeTheGreek

My fellow comrades and I (military) are considering going infront of walmart in our uniforms and holding signs, "Will work for food." (Name/Branch tapes and rank would be covered up)

This is assuming the president Vetos a bill that would continue our pay, which he has said he will do.

Everybody I know in the Military said they will continue to get paid.

Everybody I know that has no knowledge on the military seems to think soldiers will NOT get paid.

I tend to believe my friends serving overseas who say if it shuts down they'll pass something so they should be getting paid.

CarryHard

I wouldn't be surprised if the government shuts down totally and forever

You have to realize that not many human civilizations have lasted over 300 years
and the USA is approaching that surely.

With all the unrest in the world and crisis + our soldiers and budget is smeared across the world

This was already in plans to happen

All i can say is i'm glad im armed
Ammo and gun prices are going up. the dollar is devaluing and gold is also at a all time high 147.80% increase in the past 5 years

Edit: and also oil prices, like 150$ a barrel now?

Last edited:

tak2w

Will NICS be down?

I'll try to bring this thread around to a little more gun related.....

Does anyone know if the NICS instant background check system will be impacted by the shutdown? I am going to a gun show this weekend, but it won't be an issue for me either way because in NC if you have a CHP, then they don't have to do the NICS check. It could affect a lot of sales though if the systems i shut down.

zack991

Everybody I know in the Military said they will continue to get paid.

Everybody I know that has no knowledge on the military seems to think soldiers will NOT get paid.

I tend to believe my friends serving overseas who say if it shuts down they'll pass something so they should be getting paid.

I am current military and that not correct. They will not get their rightfully earned pay but get payed what is owned to them at the governments earliest convince. Anyone who has served knows they are not quick at all to pay pass due checks. Soldiers on the home station wont receive check until its passed. Yet your congressman/women will be paid.

During what may be his last trip to Iraq, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates addressed the issue of military pay if there is a 2011 government shutdown.

According to Gates, soldiers in the field(DEPLOYED) will receive half of their pay for this pay period if there is a government shutdown. The remaining pay will be paid out at a later date as backpay.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The current "crisis" over a government "shutdown" is a deliberate giant red-herring.

First, the misgovernment is not shutting down. Troops will still be fighting, air-traffic control will still run, etc. Calling it a shut-down is a lie.

Second, and much more important, the politicians are supposedly fighting over tens of billions in spending cuts.

Tens of billions.

BULLS**T!

The federal government is running huge, totally unsustainable deficits. We're spending or will be spending vast sums to pay the interest on the national debt they are running up (by borrowing to do the deficit spending), nevermind paying down the principal. Nearly 10% of Americans are unemployed. Another what? 6-8% can only find part time work? If either party were genuinely serious, they'd be standing on roof-tops shouting with mega-blaster bullhorns about the disasterous situation we are in, demanding $100's of billions in spending cuts yesterday.

The paltry tens of billions in reductions being argued by Congress really only mean the massive and destructive budget deficit will be only slightly less massive. The whole furor over a so-called government shut down is just a deliberate distraction being played for political gain, and to keep everyone's eyes off the dire situation the government and we as a nation are in.

Oh, and as another poster mentioned above, price inflation has arrived from all the money printing in QE1 and QE2. Actually, it arrived earlier, but it is becoming harder for the government and its shills in the media to convince people it hasn't.

Last edited:

zack991

Citizen- what do you think about the GOP's Path to Prosperity budget proposals?
Wont do much good when you have the democrat party still bending over backwards doing obamas wish list and not want needs to be done.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

Wont do much good when you have the democrat party still bending over backwards doing obamas wish list and not want needs to be done.
Something I read that was quite laughable. Reid said the Tea Party and the GOP are trying to push a "radical, extreme agenda" through with the cuts they are proposing. REALLY???? Unlike the Nobamacare they rammed through.

zack991

To make it worst any of my Brothers in arms that dies defending this country, their family will get nothing in death benefits. No death benefits for military during shutdown

WASHINGTON – In the event of a government shutdown, the Pentagon would have to delay payments of the $100,000 death benefit that families receive if a military service member dies in the line of duty, a senior defense official said Friday,

Families would get the money eventually after the government re-opens, but they could have problems paying expenses, including for the funerals, the official said, adding that the Pentagon will reach out to various military aid agencies to help those who need it.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_re_us/us_us_shutdown_military

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Citizen- what do you think about the GOP's Path to Prosperity budget proposals?

I don't know anything about it except its name and sponsor. If you had not mentioned it, I wouldn't have known about it.

But, I can tell you I would be very, very suspicious of such a budget proposal. Because:

1. The name of the program/initiative almost tells me all I need to know. One cannot spend his way to prosperity. Spending positively cannot create prosperity. Production causes prosperity. Spending can only be a necessity such as purchasing raw materials or labor, etc. Or, spending can be an actual drag inhibiting prosperity. The key factor is that production, not spending causes prosperity.

2. The government has made a high art out of mis-naming initiatives. Soviet Pravda and Izvestia would have been envious. For all I know they may have learned it from our Congress.

3. The Republicans and Democrats are equally guilty of destroying our Constitution and creating the huge fiscal problems the government has. Even Reagan, likeable as he was, presided over huge increases in federal spending. The two parties behave alike--spend, spend, spend. The only difference is how they sing to their own voter bases about where the money will be spent. Thus, I firmly believe that neither of the major parties is really working for the interests of their base. I firmly believe they are working to keep themselves in power. They are really just two wings of the same party: the Keep Ourselves in Power Party. They accomplish this by spending that benefits their campaign donors and lobbyists, and rhetoric that divides the electorate to our loss and their gain.

The crisis is here. Its time we stopped listening to their rhetoric and allowing ourselves to be so easily divided. For all readers: Think about it. Do you really dislike half of the people with who you share this section of the continent? Does it make sense to go around hating half the people in the nation?

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

To make it worst any of my Brothers in arms that dies defending this country, their family will get nothing in death benefits. No death benefits for military during shutdown

WASHINGTON – In the event of a government shutdown, the Pentagon would have to delay payments of the $100,000 death benefit that families receive if a military service member dies in the line of duty, a senior defense official said Friday,

Families would get the money eventually after the government re-opens, but they could have problems paying expenses, including for the funerals, the official said, adding that the Pentagon will reach out to various military aid agencies to help those who need it.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_re_us/us_us_shutdown_military

**** that, they shouldn't have to fight while the govt dipshits **** around with their pay & death benefits, why fight for a country that throws you to the wolves and tells you to fend for yourself

That's retarded

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
**** that, they shouldn't have to fight while the govt dipshits **** around with their pay & death benefits, why fight for a country that throws you to the wolves and tells you to fend for yourself

That's retarded

I've been advocating for about two years that the youth of this country should refuse to enlist until rights are fully restored.

I know its a bit of a dream. But, imagine it as a quid pro quo negotiating point.

"No, Senator Warhawk. I will not enlist until you give us back our rights. My mom's cousin, Jake Cannonfodder, died in one of your wars. You professed to be thankful for his service. I'm betting your campaign donors like Halliburton and Northrop Grumman were even more thankful. His grieving family accepted the 'thanks of a grateful nation.' I'd rather have rights than thanks. I see no point in risking my life to support a government that drives the national debt to the moon, threatens me with 10,000 laws and regulations, lies to me daily, and ignores the constitution. No. I will not fight. I will not enlist. Not until after our rights are returned and additional guarantees written to prevent their removal. I might consider serving that country, but not this government."

DevinWKuska

Now I dont pay much attention to the media because I feel its mostly negative stuff. But I heard about this shut down while working on Ft. Lewis. I can tell you its causing a commotion. Today many formations were solely to address the pay issue. The general consesus I am getting from the troops? "How am I suppose to pay my bills? How am I suppose to pay for gas to get to work? Why bother showing up tomorrow, My contract was based on the mutual understanding I would be paid regularly, not whenever the govt gets around to it."

I tell you the truth when I say that I am seriously starting to spend more and more money per paycheck on ammunition and disaster preparedness items. Everytime I go to buy the items afore mentioned(especially ammunition) I am finding alot of it sold before they can get it on the shelves. Maybe its just widespread panic and nothing factual, but panic leads to rioting... just my two cents