• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government shut down?

eye95

My fellow comrades and I (military) are considering going infront of walmart in our uniforms and holding signs, "Will work for food." (Name/Branch tapes and rank would be covered up)

This is assuming the president Vetos a bill that would continue our pay, which he has said he will do.

You do realize that such an action would be unlawful? As a retired AF NCO, I am appalled. I suffered through a shutdown while I was on active duty. I knew that I would be paid, even if it was late. So I did my duty and did not talk about breaking the law. Shame on any who do.

You want to protest? Take off that uniform!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I don't know anything about it except its name and sponsor. If you had not mentioned it, I wouldn't have known about it.

But, I can tell you I would be very, very suspicious of such a budget proposal. Because:

1. The name of the program/initiative almost tells me all I need to know. One cannot spend his way to prosperity. Spending positively cannot create prosperity. Production causes prosperity. Spending can only be a necessity such as purchasing raw materials or labor, etc. Or, spending can be an actual drag inhibiting prosperity. The key factor is that production, not spending causes prosperity.

2. The government has made a high art out of mis-naming initiatives. Soviet Pravda and Izvestia would have been envious. For all I know they may have learned it from our Congress.

3. The Republicans and Democrats are equally guilty of destroying our Constitution and creating the huge fiscal problems the government has. Even Reagan, likeable as he was, presided over huge increases in federal spending. The two parties behave alike--spend, spend, spend. The only difference is how they sing to their own voter bases about where the money will be spent. Thus, I firmly believe that neither of the major parties is really working for the interests of their base. I firmly believe they are working to keep themselves in power. They are really just two wings of the same party: the Keep Ourselves in Power Party. They accomplish this by spending that benefits their campaign donors and lobbyists, and rhetoric that divides the electorate to our loss and their gain.

The crisis is here. Its time we stopped listening to their rhetoric and allowing ourselves to be so easily divided. For all readers: Think about it. Do you really dislike half of the people with who you share this section of the continent? Does it make sense to go around hating half the people in the nation?

I think an effort has been underway, and some success has been made, to pull one of these parties away from the "Keep ourselves in power party". It's being demonized by the media, but more and more it seems to be gaining ground. Instead of throwing up our hands and declaring the system is corrupt and irrepairable, it makes more sense to keep up the pressure. We can't win every battle, but we're making headway.

As far as hating half the country goes... liberals really only account for %20, so I don't hate %80 of us.:D

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
You do realize that such an action would be unlawful? As a retired AF NCO, I am appalled. I suffered through a shutdown while I was on active duty. I knew that I would be paid, even if it was late. So I did my duty and did not talk about breaking the law. Shame on any who do.

You want to protest? Take off that uniform!

I could not agree more.