• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Politician Shuffle!

CalicoJack10

A thought occurred to me today, and I don't know how things go in other states, but I sure see a lot of this here.

I have seen a lot of posts that are about letter sent to Senator this or congressman that asking where they stand on a certain issue. But they are elected officials, and what they think of a certain issue, or how they feel about certain legislation should have no bearing on their jobs at all.

I mean, ultimately they are there to be representatives of the people, and not representatives of what they think or even want. I think that as we send these letters out to our elected representatives we should be telling them what we want and not asking where they stand.

People like the ones that ran out of state need to understand that they are not some almighty power that sways the people, they are the tool of the people to effect the changes that we want.

I mean seriously, a majority of the campaigns that people run have no information about where they stand on our rights, or even the issues we want addressed. They are mostly all just attacks pointed at the other candidates. To me this says "If we can make it look like they are worse than we are, people will vote for us instead"

This is not supposed to be a battle to be the lesser of 2 evils, it is supposed to be a race to show support for Wisconsin citizens. My thought is that we need to stop catering to the whims of those that are supposed to be representing us, but instead bring back a time when they bend to our will.

Did I miss something in this?

TyGuy

I don't know. It's an age old question. Are people elected to represent the people, i.e. the should vote the way the people "would" or are they elected because of the candidate's stances and judgement and therefore should vote the way they, the candidate, feel? I don't know how you would know how the people you represent would want you to vote on every issue, unless you constantly were taking polls for every bill, which is unrealistic, so I am more apt to believe the second is more correct.

IDK

HandyHamlet

...so I am more apt to believe the second is more correct.

Citizens call, petition, and write their elected officials every day with their concerns and issues. We here are certainly not the only ones.

How officials vote depends on how much money is in their war chest (and where the money came from). What party they are affiliated with. And how many favors they owe to whom.

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I dont believe that people get voted for based on making decisions for the rest of us. If that was the case we would not call them public servants. We would just call them a$$holes.

The concept is to have a representative of the people that can relay our beliefs to the government. If not then their job is based on a police state. And I don't know about anyone else, but I sure as hell didn't offer my life up in defense of a bunch of people who are only there to tell me what freedoms I can and can not have.

I defended 6 sheets of paper that define our god given rights as human beings, and the people who live under the protection of those documents. So the idea that we elect people so that they can take away the freedoms that I fought (and still fight) for based on their opinions does not hold any water with me.

You get an E for Effort, but an F for FAIL.

As long as I live I will encourage my fellow citizens to refuse to compromise on our god given rights. We are citizens not slaves. And being a militant is not the way to go about doing this. The system works, it just has to be trimmed of tyrants from time to time. That is why we still have the ability to vote, so that we can remove the tyrants from a position of power.

Outdoorsman1

I dont believe that people get voted for based on making decisions for the rest of us. If that was the case we would not call them public servants. We would just call them a$$holes.

The concept is to have a representative of the people that can relay our beliefs to the government. If not then their job is based on a police state. And I don't know about anyone else, but I sure as hell didn't offer my life up in defense of a bunch of people who are only there to tell me what freedoms I can and can not have.

I defended 6 sheets of paper that define our god given rights as human beings, and the people who live under the protection of those documents. So the idea that we elect people so that they can take away the freedoms that I fought (and still fight) for based on their opinions does not hold any water with me.

You get an E for Effort, but an F for FAIL.

As long as I live I will encourage my fellow citizens to refuse to compromise on our god given rights. We are citizens not slaves. And being a militant is not the way to go about doing this. The system works, it just has to be trimmed of tyrants from time to time. That is why we still have the ability to vote, so that we can remove the tyrants from a position of power.

WOW... this post (and ONLY) this post has caused my to re-think how I handled my recent encounter with LEO...It is not about keeping my a$$ out of jail...it is ALL about keeping our rights alive and srtong. Rights that others have sacraficed SO MUCH to defend...

CalicoJack10... First I will thank you for the above post and 2nd I will apologize to you and anyone else who has sacraficed to protect the rights that I recently chose not to honor...

That will not happen again...

nuff said.

Outdoorsman

CalicoJack10

WOW... this post (and ONLY) this post has caused my to re-think how I handled my recent encounter with LEO...It is not about keeping my a$$ out of jail...it is ALL about keeping our rights alive and srtong. Rights that others have sacraficed SO MUCH to defend...

CalicoJack10... First I will thank you for the above post and 2nd I will apologize to you and anyone else who has sacraficed to protect the rights that I recently chose not to honor...

That will not happen again...

nuff said.

Outdoorsman

It is not about the past, it is about the future. You came out unscathed, and that is all that is important. The reason guys (And gals) that serve take this kind of thing very serious is because we don't ever defend just a nation. We defend people's rights to live by the laws of our nation, and we demand that the freedoms that we fight for be given to us with no injustice done as a result. And US means all of the U.S.A. and not just those that serve. The way you handled things was not the way many of us would have, but it turned out that you were allowed to carry on with your freedoms where many others have tried and failed. For that reason alone you should be proud of making it through without going to jail. Most importantly, remember, Freedom Is Not Free!

LR:
Thanks for fixing that for me. lol

Captain Nemo

Calico Jack:
I agree with your post 100%. I think in the last two- three elections we have seen the awakening of the people. Most of it I give credit to the internet. The internet and it's worlwide messaging to millions of people at warp speed has made goverment more transparent. Many politicians secretly dislike it for that very reason. Major media secretly dislikesit for those same reasons. It takes away their cesorship of the news we hear and takes away their brainwashing tactics. Of course, publically, neither of those factions will admit they don't like the internet. One only needs to think back 40 years ago. Back when I was designing computers for the company I worked for. When floppy disks were all the rage and nine pin dot matrix printers and a 10meg hard drive was greater than sliced bread. and computers operated at the blazing speed of 400mhz. In those days communications with politicians was either by phone or by mail and most people were not about to spend 30cents for a stamp or pay for a long distance call to talk to a politician. So once a politician was in office he/she had all the control. All that has changed big time. Now we can express our opinions and contact politicians nearly instantly and virtually free. We have to make use to the powerful tool we have and you are absolutely correct that we have to tell our political representatives that we are through with being sheep. Sheep that have spent too many years giving the fox the keys to the chicken coop. As you nsay we have to inform them that we hired them and as we have been demonstrating in the last few elections we can fire them. Some politicians have gotten the message but not enough. All we need to do is remind them of Dassel and Fiengold. Two influential politician that felt they were securily entrenched in there job as career politicans but suffered the wrath of an upset constituency. Most of all, we have to stop being condesending and start demanding. Let them know we control their employment. Today they are less likely to make us angry and more likely to listen because they are aware that anything they say or do can instantly be communicated to millions of people world wide. We need to use that tool more and most of all we need to demand term limits. Calico Jack two thumbs up for your post.

oak1971

They need to know who they work for and who got them into office in the first place. If they don't do our bidding we need to vote their asses out regardless of what party they belong to. They need to live every waking moment trembling in fear. Only that will keep them honest.