• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DMV - Is OC Ok?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Depending on the DMV you are going to there might not even be a rent-a-cop there to give you funny looks.

OC is OK at DMV.

It is not considered "nice" to show up with an OC'd handgun that is magnitudes better quality, or appearance, or performance capabilities, than the one carried by the rent-a-cop - but they will eventually get over it if you do. :>)

stay safe.

wikieod

Went to the DMV on Greenbrier to retake my drivers test (my license from SC expired, so I had to do the whole thing). I knew the day was going to be good when the rent a cop looked at me and asked "Is that a Ruger?", I said yes, and he said thats what his first gun was, then he bought a Glock. We talked for about ten minutes about guns and OC and CC, while they sorted out my paperwork. Everything went well, and I am now a licensed VA Driver. It's ironic to have a good time at the DMV. :D

ocholsteroc

Went to the DMV on Greenbrier to retake my drivers test (my license from SC expired, so I had to do the whole thing). I knew the day was going to be good when the rent a cop looked at me and asked "Is that a Ruger?", I said yes, and he said thats what his first gun was, then he bought a Glock. We talked for about ten minutes about guns and OC and CC, while they sorted out my paperwork. Everything went well, and I am now a licensed VA Driver. It's ironic to have a good time at the DMV. :D

That's the one I go to.

Come out to a dinner sometime, we have one coming up on the 13th

What if you are asked to leave? isn't it coverd under the law? so if they banned guns there then it would be invalid or am I wrong?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Dinner-7pm-Greenbrier-Olive-Garden-April-13th

Last edited:

Dreamer

In NC, we have a "state preemption" statute that essentially reads like this:

"No municipality, county or government agency may enact policies or ordinances which restrict the carry or possession of firearms... Unless they enact such a rule. Then it's OK..."

We can't carry in the DMV (actually, we don't have a DMV here--license plates and DLs are processed and issued by PRIVATE CONTRACTORS who have their offices on private property, so they wouldn't be covered under State Preemption even if it DID have any effective "teeth".)

We also can't carry in the General Assembly (or ANY state government buildings). Or in most municipal or county buildings. Or in Polling Places. Or in most public libraries.

And cities are frequently allowed by the AG to enact temporary "policies" restricting carry (OC and CC) during "special events" like local festivals, public concerts and cultural events, and other such free, open-to-the-public, on public land type events.

And we also have a statute that puts a COMPLETE ban on the transport or possession of firearms off one's personal property during "declared states of emergency".

In other words, our "state preemption" statute is a steaming, squishy pile of crap, and not worth the paper it's printed on.

Compared to NC, you folks in VA have virtually libertine gun laws. At the very least, the laws in VA, for the most part, make sense. Here in NC, the NCGS is often self-contradictory, and the interpretations issued by the AG are often in direct violation of the Law of the Land, as written and enacted.

But we're working on that...

At the very least, it's looking like the "Restaurant Carry" bill is a "shoe-in" this session. So we've got that going for us, which is nice. :banana:

Last edited:

wikieod

That's the one I go to.

Come out to a dinner sometime, we have one coming up on the 13th

What if you are asked to leave? isn't it coverd under the law? so if they banned guns there then it would be invalid or am I wrong?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Dinner-7pm-Greenbrier-Olive-Garden-April-13th

I am going to try and come to Olive Garden on Wednesday, but I have a hockey game in VB. Still don't know the time for the game, but hoping it's late, so I can make it to both.

Tosta Dojen

Correct. §15.2-915 prohibits localities from regulating firearms, but does not prohibit state agencies from doing so.

That said, it doesn't seem that DMV has enacted any prohibitions on the possession of firearms. I was in the Roanoke DMV on Thursday without trouble. The two Securitas security guards stationed there put their heads together for a couple of minutes when I entered, then resumed their stations without a word to me.

USNA69

Correct. §15.2-915 prohibits localities from regulating firearms, but does not prohibit state agencies from doing so.

That said, it doesn't seem that DMV has enacted any prohibitions on the possession of firearms. I was in the Roanoke DMV on Thursday without trouble. The two Securitas security guards stationed there put their heads together for a couple of minutes when I entered, then resumed their stations without a word to me.

That was my thinking, also. The moral of the story is that, if challenged about OC in a DMV, it be unwise to say anything containing the word "preemption".

Last edited: