• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No CC at Lapeer County Sheriff`s Dept.

bruiser 160

I was just at the Sheriff`s Dept for Lapeer county and noticed a sign banning no concealed firearms allowed. My friend was asking me about it and I told him that it was not enforceable. Am I correct on this or am I mistaken?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was just at the Sheriff`s Dept for Lapeer county and noticed a sign banning no concealed firearms allowed. My friend was asking me about it and I told him that it was not enforceable. Am I correct on this or am I mistaken?

You are correct. They can ban weapons from secured jail area, but not the lobby. You should talk with the sheriff about this and mention the 1990 preemption statute 123.1102. If they refuse PM me and I can send a letter/email.

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

lil_freak_66

you are correct,unenforceable except in places that are not open to the general public including but probably not limited to: staff only areas and the jail.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
you are correct,unenforceable except in places that are not open to the general public including but probably not limited to: staff only areas and the jail.
Cite on staff areas. Jails yes.

MSP can not lawfully ban firearms from posts. From an email from Major Bush.

Dear Mr. Jeffs,

I am following up on the email you sent to Colonel Eddie Washington regarding
a notice posted at various MSP facilities.

In Michigan, it is legal for a person to carry a firearm in public as long as the person is carrying the firearm with lawful intent and the firearm is not concealed. Carrying a non-concealed visible firearm is commonly referred to as open carry.

In general, citizens who come into Michigan State Police work sites to conduct business (e.g., file a complaint, obtain an accident report, etc.) are not prohibited from openly carrying a holstered firearm in areas where public access is not restricted such as the lobby areas. Citizens may be prohibited from openly carrying a firearm in restricted areas of work sites. Before allowing a citizen to enter restricted areas of the work site, members may ask a citizen to secure the firearm outside of the work site. If a citizen refuses to secure the firearm outside the work site, the member shall deny the person access.

The signs, which will remain posted at department work sites, allow the citizen the opportunity to secure their firearms prior to entering the work site to conduct business. There is no Michigan statute which prohibits the posting of the signs.

Major Charles Bush, Commander
Michigan State Police
Office of Emergency and Specialized Services
517-241-0246

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/user/detroitbiker#p/a/u/1/dXNLjuGVfPU {Part 1}

http://www.youtube.com/user/detroitbiker#p/a/u/0/Yh8Xc_cteO8 {Part 2}

This pretty much sums it up, the guy in the black shirt ( off duty Sheriff who starts asking for ID's is on the WACO gun board & clearly doesn't know or care about the law) ??? In the end they had to remove the old signs & replace them with ones that said no weapons allowed in secured areas of the building.

The Lt was a nice guy in general but it was clear they don't want anyone other than themselves to be able to carry there.

How's the saying go: "When only the police have guns it's called a police state"!

Last edited: