• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local News Story: Police Chiefs Wary, But Will Enforce New Concealed Guns Law

tak2w

Police Chiefs Wary, But Will Enforce New Concealed Guns Law

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/...ill_Accept_More_Concealed_Guns_119486669.html

Jacksonville Police Chief Michael Yaniero says the vast majority of concealed-carry permit holders aren't a problem, but he worries that someone who's been drinking could start something and get guns involved.

..........--Moderator Edited--
RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

JayT

I don't know what else to say to Mr. Tom Bergamine "No kidding?!" in reference to guns and alcohol not mixing. It's already mandated no-alcohol to carry... Why is there a need for the 2nd law to exist?!

I know this has been beaten to death... but it still irritates me to see this in print.

smlawrence

Do they really believe that not a soul carries in some restaraunts anyway with the old law in place. And yet there isn't a problem with anyone who has their CHP. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Dreamer

I find two things about this article troubling.

First, I find it disturbing that they would ask LEOs their opinion of a law, and whether or not they would enforce the new law. It's not the job of LEOs to speculate on or debate the merits of law--if they want to do that, the need to run for a seat in the General Assembly.

Apparently the folks at WITN don't understand that little "Separation of Powers" thing in the Constitution...

And I also was a little miffed about the line about giving municipalities the power to restrict CC in sports fields and swimming pools. I thought NC had State Preemption (toothless as it is). Municipalities clearly DO NOT have that power, and to give them this power in HB111 is clearly a violation of the NCGS and the NC Constitution.

I mean, I get the whole "guns and booze don't mix" and I agree with it. But I don't drink when I'm carrying, and I think the majority of CHP holders in NC are responsible enough to do the same. So the "guns and booze don't mix" issue is actually a non-issue. If it WAS an issue, then why does EVERY other state east of the Mississippi (including MD, NY, and NJ) allow carry in establishments that serve? (OK, I'll admit that MD doesn't make a very good pro-carry-in-restaurants argument, but ALL of the people with perits who have gotten drunk and then shot someone in a bar and restaurant in MD in the last decade or so have been off-duty LEOs, NOT citizens... Just sayin'...)

But I just can't see how disarming adults who are attending sporting events in public parks, or while visiting a swimming pool served the public good. As far as I know, pool water is NOT a "controlled substance", and baseball and soccer are not "mind-altering".

WTF planet are these people from?

Last edited:

jp49911

...in reference to guns and alcohol not mixing. It's already mandated no-alcohol to carry... Why is there a need for the 2nd law to exist?!

I have seen this stated a couple of times; would someone please clarify? To my understanding, you can no longer legally conceal once you consume alcohol but technically you could legally OC. This is not an endorsement of drinking and OCing btw.

rotorhead

It's just another story about the hazards of guns. It's part of a ramped up campaign launched by anti-gun groups to get the fear in the air. Stories like this will increase greatly as some of these bills get closer to the Governor's desk. Once they get that far, you'll see a ton of these stories.

The various forms of media in the state will be more than happy to oblige.

fisty

I am not concerned at all with the person with a concealed-carry permit or the ones who open carry, it is the bad guy who carry's concealed without a permit. Bud guys do not carry legally nor do they give a rats ass about the laws, that is why they are the BAD guys.