• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NC, quick question.

Herdo

Hello everyone. Please forgive me for this will be a bit off topic, considering I have versed my self well in NC OC.

I'm 22 years old and going to be moving to NC soon with my girlfriend. She recently finished her RN program and we will be moving from AZ to the eastern NC area. I was a bit nervous about leaving my gun rights behind in AZ, but soon learned NC was a pretty good place for gun owners to live.

Anyways, we are looking at coastal property and have found a few with large amounts of land. Some have around 5 acre's, some 10, and one property we are looking at in our price range has about 130 acre's!

I guess my main question is, when does it become legal to fire my weapons on my own land? Most of what we have looked at seems to be out of city limits, and has at least 4+ acre's of land. I'm not too sure about the laws in NC but here in AZ I think they are pretty straight forward. You need to be out of city limits, and on private property, with a few technicality's, like no shooting within 100 yards of a road or highway.

We are going to be taking a trip to NC in about a month to get a better idea of the area. Thank's for you time, and again, sorry about this thread being off topic, but I really wanted to get some fact's from a large group of NC resident's and didn't know where else to go!

Andy

Northerner

Hello everyone. Please forgive me for this will be a bit off topic, considering I have versed my self well in NC OC.

I'm 22 years old and going to be moving to NC soon with my girlfriend. She recently finished her RN program and we will be moving from AZ to the eastern NC area. I was a bit nervous about leaving my gun rights behind in AZ, but soon learned NC was a pretty good place for gun owners to live.

Anyways, we are looking at coastal property and have found a few with large amounts of land. Some have around 5 acre's, some 10, and one property we are looking at in our price range has about 130 acre's!

I guess my main question is, when does it become legal to fire my weapons on my own land? Most of what we have looked at seems to be out of city limits, and has at least 4+ acre's of land. I'm not too sure about the laws in NC but here in AZ I think they are pretty straight forward. You need to be out of city limits, and on private property, with a few technicality's, like no shooting within 100 yards of a road or highway.

We are going to be taking a trip to NC in about a month to get a better idea of the area. Thank's for you time, and again, sorry about this thread being off topic, but I really wanted to get some fact's from a large group of NC resident's and didn't know where else to go!

Andy

What we learned in Johnston County recently when they updated the law on when and where and how one could shoot on his/her property is that it is really different in almost every county. It seemed the further East one went the county zoning and noise ordinances were non-existent.

M

mattwestm

As long as you are outside of the city limits, you should be good to go. What part of Eastern NC are you looking at? The Pamlico sound area of the state is really nice!

Herdo

Thanks for the reply's! I've tried to find some more info and it seems to be that if you are out of town and on private property you are clear to use a firearm. The problem's can arise with noise ordinances and neighbors complaining.

Also Matt, that is exactly the area we are looking at, specifically around Bath, Belhaven, Beaufort, New Bern, and everywhere in between. It is absolutely gorgeous there. I still find it hard to believe that you can find waterfront property so easily! My girlfriend lived all up and down the east coast growing up so she finds it normal, but growing up in AZ, I am having a hard time grasping the idea of an ocean/sound front property for a reasonable price. We've also found many properties that have creeks or canals on the properties running into the sound, which would be great as well (we enjoy kayaking).

One more thing. I was looking around and came across something about getting a handgun purchase permission slip sort of thing from the county sheriff. Is this for all county's or just specific ones? When I was looking around before I don't remember seeing this. Is this new? Do you have to get one for every handgun purchased? This is a lot of questions so if someone can give me a link or something I would really appreciate it! Here in AZ if I want a new handgun, I go to my local gun shop and come home with one in a matter of minutes. I'm kind of worried! Haha.

Thanks again for the reply's!

Northerner

One more thing. I was looking around and came across something about getting a handgun purchase permission slip sort of thing from the county sheriff. Is this for all county's or just specific ones? When I was looking around before I don't remember seeing this. Is this new? Do you have to get one for every handgun purchased? This is a lot of questions so if someone can give me a link or something I would really appreciate it! Here in AZ if I want a new handgun, I go to my local gun shop and come home with one in a matter of minutes. I'm kind of worried! Haha.

Again, it's really different for every County, but essentially you will have to apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit (PPP) for each hand gun purchase. Some Counties you can get 3 permits in a year and others you can get up to 5 permits (~$5 each). Some Counties request basic information while others ask for references (in writing), employers, SS#, etc. It's really not suppose to be like this, but our Legislators and LE Agencies seem to be indifferent to the inconsistencies. Although this is an OC forum, applying for your NC Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) is good for two reasons; 1) Carrying openly in a vehicle can't be construed as concealed (some LEOs consider it concealed if open on your hip and he/she cannot see it approaching the vehicle); 2) A CHP will allow you to purchase unlimited handguns, a PPP is no longer needed.

Enjoy the coastal/sound bugs and flies!:eek:

Last edited:

buzzsaw

On a positive note, there is legislature under consideration this session that would eliminate that POS holdover from the Jim Crow era. One can only hope and inundate your local representative with encouraging emails.