• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daytrip to Oregon (w/no OR CPL) What do I need to know?

G20-IWB24/7

I searched the Oregon forum a bit, but it didn't have a covenient FAQ section like the WA forum does (thanks Bill!) and the information I was getting was partial. I'm driving down with my wife and some of our friends to Astoria & Seaside tomorrow. What do I need to know? I'd like to carry, obviously.

Thanks in-advance!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Here's the little I know for Oregon.....

A CHL DOES NOT AUTHORIZE YOU TO CARRY A FIREARM IN ANY PLACE THAT IS POSTED IN OREGON

An Oregon Appeals Court decision has found that your car is now considered a "public place." The ruling means that possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle may be considered a crime if the locality in which you are traveling has a ban on open loaded carry.

Astoria - 5.010(A) No carry in park, loaded or not

Off-limits to non-licensed persons:
-Public Schools
-Public buildings
Hospital, Capitol building, College/
University, City Hall, etc

Oregon OC Pamphlet: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3474&d=1280899231

Applying for a Clatsop County CHL: http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/default.asp?pageid=168&deptid=5

Last edited:

onlurker

My understanding of Oregon law (IANAL) is that you cannot legally carry in the greater Portland/Beaverton/Tigard metro area with a loaded magazine let alone a loaded firearm that is openly carried. I mean you could open carry but the firearm better be unloaded (without an Oregon CHL) along with the magazine (no bullets in the mag sort of thing) in the greater Portland Metro area. IIRC, this is the only region in OR that has this sort of restriction, everywhere else you can open carry as you see fit (loaded or otherwise) save for private business posing firearm restrictions.

Last edited:

Tawnos

My understanding of Oregon law (IANAL) is that you cannot legally carry in the greater Portland/Beaverton/Tigard metro area with a loaded magazine

That exceeds their legal authority under OR's preemption law. I'm hoping for the day it's overturned, even though I now have an OR CHL.

joeroket

My understanding of Oregon law (IANAL) is that you cannot legally carry in the greater Portland/Beaverton/Tigard metro area with a loaded magazine let alone a loaded firearm that is openly carried. I mean you could open carry but the firearm better be unloaded (without an Oregon CHL) along with the magazine (no bullets in the mag sort of thing) in the greater Portland Metro area. IIRC, this is the only region in OR that has this sort of restriction, everywhere else you can open carry as you see fit (loaded or otherwise) save for private business posing firearm restrictions.

Newport is also one but he is not going down quite that far.

G20-IWB24/7

Great Day in OR.

Spent the day, as planned in Astoria and Seaside. Did not carry at the Astoria Column (due to the park ordinance), but OC'd everywhere else. No issues, no inquiries. Uneventful day. Oh, and if you get to Seaside, eat at Norma's Diner and get the salmon fish & chips. FANTASTIC!

2 Pics below are the wife and I at the Lewis & Clark Trail -ending at the beach in Seaside, and me shaking the hand of one of the taffy shop owners (notice the G19 in exposed IWB on my belt).

Attachments

• CIMG8488.jpg
    CIMG8488.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 162
  • CIMG8490.jpg
    CIMG8490.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 171

Metalhead47

Spent the day, as planned in Astoria and Seaside. Did not carry at the Astoria Column (due to the park ordinance), but OC'd everywhere else. No issues, no inquiries. Uneventful day. Oh, and if you get to Seaside, eat at Norma's Diner and get the salmon fish & chips. FANTASTIC!

2 Pics below are the wife and I at the Lewis & Clark Trail -ending at the beach in Seaside, and me shaking the hand of one of the taffy shop owners (notice the G19 in exposed IWB on my belt).

Man that's alotta taffy :eek:

But I think with a setup like that no one noticed, it's *almost* concealed.

Br1911

But I think with a setup like that no one noticed, it's *almost* concealed.

By coincidence I just had a discussion with an LEO in Washington state and he said that IWB carry is considered "concealed carry" by definition, even though the grip or more of the gun shows. Have no idea about Oregon, but just FYI/FWIW.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
By coincidence I just had a discussion with an LEO in Washington state and he said that IWB carry is considered "concealed carry" by definition, even though the grip or more of the gun shows. Have no idea about Oregon, but just FYI/FWIW.

First, welcome to OCDO.

Second, the LEO you spoke with is wrong. Ask him to produce an RCW that describes this method and defines it as 'concealed carry'. I will wait.........he won't find it.

Metalhead47

First, welcome to OCDO.

Second, the LEO you spoke with is wrong. Ask him to produce an RCW that describes this method and defines it as 'concealed carry'. I will wait.........he won't find it.

Drat beat me to it. Welcome Br1911. Do some reading around here and you'll find that LEOs are rarely the best sources for what is, and is not, lawful. :banghead:

G20-IWB24/7

In the Level 3 Safariland holsters used by most LEO's the only portion of the gun I can see is the grip. The exact same portion of the gun is exposed as when I'm Open-carrying IWB. And leather basketweave in the shape of a gun, does not count as a gun.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I searched the Oregon forum a bit, but it didn't have a covenient FAQ section like the WA forum does (thanks Bill!)

Just an FYI, I am working with some folks down in Oregon to create a "Oregon FAQ." In the mean time check out this FAQ and other info from the fine folks at OFF (Oregon Firearms Federation).

FAQ: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/
Oregon Gun Laws: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html
Guns in Schools: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/news/20011126gunsinps.html
Portland Airport terminal/drive/parking: Legal to carry with a CPL as of Aug 2008
Notify officer: No
Schools: yes
state parks/national parks/WMA/national forests: yes
rest areas: yes
Taverns: yes

Mech

OMG I remember that statue and the taffy guy! Such familiar sights :)
Glad you had a good time down there!