• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative snippets regarding Firearms in the news

Edward Peruta

Is it me or am I biased in favor of Second Amendment rights?

I'm tired of reading the daily negative firearm snippets in the news.

The Main Stream media in Connecticut, (I mostly read the Hartford Courant), seems to prioritize every negative firearm incident in CT during the legislative session.

Never once do they offer the fact that most if not all victims of firearm assaults are UNARMED and UNABLE to immediately defend themselves. It's a fact that people with criminal intent tend to look for individuals who do not have the ability to defend themselves or immediately respond in kind.

The editors and news directors of our state media outlets, know the power of keeping an issue in the news and appear to have there agenda focused on the negatives.

Having grown up in Hartford County I always noticed that the State Teacher's Union or some other political body involved in eduction always had the billboard on the connector between I-91 and the tunnel under Main street in Hartford when the legislature was in session.

I often wonder what the statistics would be like if every victim of firearm violence had been bearing a weapon for self defense when attacked.

Tactical9mm

I've been back in Connecticut for roughly three months. I've seen the demonizing of firearms by the majority of local media (both newspaper & television). Recently it has been about displaying confiscated firearms, as if some magnificent achievement had been accomplished. It is disgusting.

There are clearly ongoing attempts to influence people into having negative perceptions about both firearms, and their owners. Institutional indoctrination I would call it. Propaganda, call it what you will. If it gets citizens to elect anti-constitution, liberty despising extremists that will wage a jihad against the rights of law-abiding firearm owners, then it is a strategy that is working for them.

I've looked at statistics that were compiled and published through organizations like the NRA, and GOA over the years. As logic would suggest, in areas of our country where more of the citizenry is armed, the per capita violent crime rates have declined.
The flip-side of that coin is in areas where the law-abiding have been disarmed, crime rates have gone through the roof.

So to propose an answer to your question in your final sentence of your post; if we were a Constitutional carry State where every citizen not a prohibited person could bear a pistol, the firearm violence might not happen in the first place. Criminals would fear the possibility that a potential victim might pull a pistol and shoot them where they stood.

KIX

Funny this should pop up.

I mentioned this to my girlfriend about a month ago. She then noticed all the leading gun violence stories and such that she never hears (at least as often) post the legislative session.

Rather sad really.

Never any mention of citizens that actually use their firearm for self defense.

Jonathan

Ryan

Can't Wait!

I have told my wife that, with or without her, once our boys hit college, everything but the dog, the truck, and the guns gets sold and I escape the tyranny of CT.
New Hampshire or Kentucky perhaps.
Oh, to once again be able to walk into a gun shop and see AK-47's and Tommy guns and Uzis in the rack.:banana:
Heaven!
I'm so tired of fighting to keep what little remains of my rights in this state.:banghead:

KIX

I saw some of them great guns on the wall in Newington @ BMG today.

But at the same time, I saw a barrel I wanted and realized I have to get the muzzle break welded on because I live in this God forsaken state that somehow thinks it's the..... umm...... constitution state.

Constipation state....... maybe.

Jonathan