• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holder's DOJ opposes 4th Amendment protection for digital communications

Repeater

The U.S. Justice Department offered what amounts to a frontal attack on proposals to amend federal law to better protect Americans' privacy. This attack applies to both e-mail communications and file storage "in the cloud" -- basically, the Obama administration is urging Congress not to adopt legislation amending the Electronic Communications Privacy Act that would impose constitutional safeguards on Americans’ e-mail stored in the cloud.

Gun rights activists who want to collaborate by sharing electronically private information and strategies, for example, would be subject to privacy violations that would be legal if the government has its way.

Privacy groups want the law amended to require law enforcement to secure a search warrant first.

The Justice Department opposes that; As CNET reported, James Baker, the associate deputy attorney general, warned that rewriting a 1986 privacy law to grant cloud computing users more privacy protections and to require court approval before tracking Americans' cell phones would hinder police investigations. Baker told a Senate committee that requiring a search warrant to obtain stored e-mail could have an "adverse impact" on criminal investigations. And making location information only available with a search warrant, he said, would hinder "the government's ability to obtain important information in investigations of serious crimes."

Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, seemed to agree. It's crucial, he said, "to ensure we don't limit (law enforcement's) ability to obtain information necessary to catch criminals and terrorists who use electronic communication." He also suggested that requiring warrants would lead to "increased burdens on the court system."

As you can see, both Progressives and NeoCons are siding with law enforcement over the citizens thereby promoting Statism over liberty.

You've been warned!

sudden valley gunner

"hinder the courts".........

Shows you how twisted their thinking has become the courts were designed for our reprieve against the government...also shows you that it is no longer true.

since9

Campaign Veteran
We don't need the government to protect our 4th Amentment right to secure communication. We can do it ourselves. Here is an idea everyone can use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwohadcUv4A

Here's another idea for your smart (cell) phone. Of course, if it's confiscated by the feds and you lock it or wipe it, they might add tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice...

stuckinchico

hmm lets see i carry a prepaid phone, in which i have removed the gps chip in it( and it still works) hmmm my laptops encrypted and backed up off site sorry big brother your hand are not allowed in my pants