• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Parks

SimplyTom

All,

Can I legally carry a firearm in a Clark County Park?

I've searched the forum for a definitive answer but can't find one. Read a thread from 2009 where the park police, backed up by the CC District Attorney, says state law does not override the CC ordinance banning firarms from the parks.

Hopefully, someone can answer this question.

Thanks.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

We have done a fair amount of work on this issue, the AG says no. as of about 6 months ago. There is a Case Pending NLV v. Hanes that will probably be a decider all the way, as far as written Law Goes, we should be covered under pre-emption. there are a few relevant threads in here should you get curious

SimplyTom

Thanks for the info and the court case.

The case is Hanes v. Clark County and the City of North Las Vegas, case # A-10-622398-C.

Did some research on the District Court website and, after several Motions to Dismiss asked for by CC and NLV, the judge denied their motions and a court date has been set for a bench trial (judge will decide the matter) on July 5, 2011 @ 1:30 pm with Judge Susan Johnson to decide the matter. Judge Johnson presides over Department 22 and is located in Courtroom 15D on the 11th floor of 330 S. Third St.

I wonder if the court date is just a coincidence and portends a decision in our favor? :banana:

From what I understand about the premption issue this case should be a "no brainer" for the judge and she should promptly nullify all NLV and CC ordinances concerning this matter, IMHO.

Last edited:

one5oh2nv

so whats the law say for city parks vs county parks? I have been to a few different parks and they all have signs that say no firearms. Im mainly wondering about the park in Aliante and another in NLV. Ive been told oc is ok in nlv but havent asked about the parks.