Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The final VOTE in Maplewood!

The final VOTE in Maplewood!

The City of Maplewood, City Council will vote April 12th whether or not to prohibit OC in Maplewood. The public input session is at 7:30 PM and no other comments are allowed after that. If you want to help protect our 2A rights come out and speak or at least show up to support our 2A rights. Dress well, be polite and help prevent this "INFRINGEMENT" of you rights. Speak in the forum if you can, it's the last chance or this will be a done deal!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Exclamation I can't make it...but someone ought to metion this!

Missouri War Casualties..

WWI....11172
    WW2..8003
    KOREA..944
    VIETNAM...1418...THREE IN MAPLEWOOD.

These men and women did not serve their country/state to uphold an amended Missouri Constitution..

With one stroke of a pen....or one raise of an arm, MW will either respect the sacrifices made by the men and women of Missiouri, or insure that it was all in vain.

I have a personal interest in this...although he was not a MO resident...

http://thewall-usa.com/guest.asp?recid=58119

God bless our troops....
    Last edited by zekester; 04-11-2011 at 01:32 PM.

I may go. I'm guessing you plan on not being let in if you are OC'ing?

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    I may go. I'm guessing you plan on not being let in if you are OC'ing?
    City Hall! NO OC/NO CCW - hey my talkis 3 min easy, if you have no game plan yet, you might mention the car jacking attempt last month at wal-Mart as that may not have happened if he was OCing, as well as the above post plus what ever else you can get in within the 3 min time limit. I hope some one besides myself will talk!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    I hope some one besides myself will talk!
    Looks like mom's surgery is scheduled for 7 am, should be out of recovery by 12. Thinking I will go in, take an extended lunch to greet her and head back to work. Barring any unforeseen events at work, I will be there.

I will try to be there but a public speaker I am not. Seeing as you can not carry is anyone going to wear there empty holster?

Moderator / Administrator
    City Hall! NO OC/NO CCW - hey my talkis 3 min easy, if you have no game plan yet, you might mention the car jacking attempt last month at wal-Mart as that may not have happened if he was OCing, as well as the above post plus what ever else you can get in within the 3 min time limit. I hope some one besides myself will talk!
    Why can you not open carry? I thought this locality did not currently ban open carry?

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    I will be there, and if allowed to address the council I will do so.

Doc

go doc!!!

anyone going from st charles...?....I may be able to go

Need a ride...94 and 70 area.
    Last edited by zekester; 04-12-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Best of luck to all! Let us know how it went after the vote tonight.

I wouldn't go there not carrying we all have CCW's we can all carry there.

What time is everyone showing up? Since I have not met anyone in person yet who should I look for?

Quote Originally Posted by xdmcompact View Post
    What time is everyone showing up? Since I have not met anyone in person yet who should I look for?
    look for a large man in a grey suit coat

Doc

good luck. was gonna get my truck fix but 70 was closed. decided not to go because i would show up with my blackhawk holster (empty) to voice my opinion without saying a word.

however some people wish to be more professional and productive, so i will not attend.

Left the Maplewood meeting, my self and the others before the vote. This is what I saud, had to edit to fit in the 3 minutes:
    The 1st Amendment gives us the right of freedom of speech, freedom of the press. Yet you cannot yell fire in a theater. The 1st amendment gives us freedom of religion but we cannot kill innocent men women and children in the name of God. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. But you cannot use a firearm in a threatening manner, you cannot point a firearm at someone. For over 125 years according to Article 1 Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution you can carry a firearm exposed in a holster in the State of Missouri and The City of Mapelwood. We have one incident by one person who was within his rights and The City of Maplewood wants to change that? The legislature here in Missouri made it the law and the Supreme Court here and in the US Supreme Court up held those laws.
    As of December 11th 2010 The following Cities in STL CO. allow open carry:
    Ballwin, Black Jack, Brentwood, Bridgeton, Charlack, Crestwood, Dellwod, Des Peres, Eureka, Ferguson, Frontenac, Green Park, Hazelwood, Huntingleigh, Jennings, Kirkwood, Ladue, Maplewood, Maryland Heights, Pacific, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill, Sunset Hills, Warson Woods, Westwood, Woodson Terrace.
    An alternative, perhaps an amendment to your proposed ordinance might follow the lead of the following St. Louis County Cities.
    The following Cities allow open carry for people with a valid CCW permit: Berkley, Clayton, Creve Coeur, Ellisville, Florissant, Manchester, Northwoods, Olivette, Vinita Park, Webster Groves.
    The Missouri Statutes state an individual in possession of a concealed firearm confronted by a law enforcement officer who requests to inspect their CCW permit must present that permit to the officer. Modification of the proposed ordinance to allow open carry with a CCW may well resolve the issue of identification when a request is made by police.
    While the past incident brought about negative publicity for Maplewood, open carry remains the legal right of Missouri citizens, and has perhaps grown in popularity in recent years. Since the drafting of the Missouri Constitution in the early 1800’s and the founding of Maplewood in the late 1800’s open carry has been legal under article 1 section 23 in the State of Missouri. It simply has not been an issue.
    Please consider a delay for modification of this ordinance to allowing those with a valid CCW to open carry. This would put the city of Maplewood in line with many Cities within St. Louis County.
    Total prohibition to open carry means you can be arrested for simply placing your hunting rifle in or out of your vehicle, or if you are in possession of a Conceal Carry Permit and your firearm is simply seen, due to wind, riding a bicycle or a flip of a shirt or leaning over the trunk of a vehicle you can go to jail.
    Over 125,000 Missouri permits and perhaps 75,000 here with other state permits.
    Please consider carefully before placing additional infringements on the second amendment for the people of Missouri here in Maplewood. The second amendment of the Bill of Rights, is as basic a freedom to Americans as freedom of the press or freedom of religion, please do not “infringe” on our 2nd amendment rights.

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    look for a large man in a grey suit coat

Doc
    Each of these guys and a couple others spoke out against any ordinance being passed to prohibit OC. and One person half heartedly spoke for the ordinance to pass. But you could tell after the chastising tone in the mayors voice as he read aloud his retort to any pro 2A comments. He could care less how anyone felt. He was the authority and was going to rule how ever he pleased.

Doc

Accomplished Advocate
    I would like to apologize on behalf of every gun owner I have ever known to our veterans, I salute you and your dedicated service to all of us and the freedoms we enjoy thanks to your sacrifice and the sacrifice of those whom served with you but never came home.

The very thought that the mayor would use the deaths of our fallen soldiers and compare the exercising of 2a rights to war protesters disrupting the funerals of our brave disgust me beyond my ability to remain civil while speaking of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    I would like to apologize on behalf of every gun owner I have ever known to our veterans, I salute you and your dedicated service to all of us and the freedoms we enjoy thanks to your sacrifice and the sacrifice of those whom served with you but never came home.

The very thought that the mayor would use the deaths of our fallen soldiers and compare the exercising of 2a rights to war protesters disrupting the funerals of our brave disgust me beyond my ability to remain civil while speaking of it.
    Are you freaking kidding me? Is there (or will there be) an audio recording or transcript somewhere that I can read? I'd love to hear the IQ in the room go down as the Mayor spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    Each of these guys and a couple others spoke out against any ordinance being passed to prohibit OC. and One person half heartedly spoke for the ordinance to pass. But you could tell after the chastising tone in the mayors voice as he read aloud his retort to any pro 2A comments. He could care less how anyone felt. He was the authority and was going to rule how ever he pleased.

Doc

Went to the meeting to support open carry and show support for these guys in the picture above, they could not have done a better job at trying to get the mayor to reconsider. The mayor had already made up his mind long before hearing from any of us. It would not have mattered, he ruled the way he was going too no matter what was said. Empty holster or no empty holster (wore mine) we never had a chance.

Just one more reason not to spend money in Maplewood. The sales tax rate is too high anyway. Maplewood loses. WalMart loses. Other stores in the city lose.Shop elsewhere when possible.

Does anyone know the exact wording the ordinance used? Was, "readily capable of lethal use" in there? I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Fenton and made it illegal for EVERYONE including LE.

Also, on the agenda was something for the "Police Asset Sharing fund". Could someone please tell me what that is?

I almost went tonight to ask them why they are passing new laws when their cops can't even follow or understand the ones on the books now. This was at the Wal-Mart yesterday. This was certainly more danger to the citizens in Wal-Mart than me open carrying.

Maplewood City Code
    Sec. 50-240. - Fire lanes.
    No person shall park or leave unattended a motor vehicle on any portion of a fire lane or on any portion of a parking lot or private way not properly designated as a parking space.

EDIT: No I was not shopping there. I was there to meet an employee about my arrest.
    Last edited by lancers; 04-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.

From Ryan Martin, editor of the Brentwood Maplewood Patch:
    "By my count, Maplewood City Council publicly discussed three out of 15 agenda items tonight.
    42 minutes ago via TweetDeck"

Do you think they jumped right to the last item on the agenda?

Accomplished Advocate
    FYI for anyone thinking of protesting for the next 15 days so to speak, DON'T.

At the beginning of the meeting there was a quick vote on making the decisions immediate and I would suspect anyone open carrying today would indeed be risking their freedom.

None of us were completely clear on what was said just prior to that vote.

Well guys, you tried, that's all you could do. I applaud you for that.

I went up to city hall today to get a copy of the ordinance. It did in fact pass 6-1 I believe she said.

Here is the ordinance. Looks like you could park your car on one side of town and walk home openly carrying an unloaded gun and back to your car legally. They also included the "readily capable of lethal use" clause.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast