• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is it worth to have a firearm Attorney assist with an application

Edward Peruta

To: Everyone who considers applying for a Permit to Carry in Connecticut or finds themselves frustrated by questionable decisions made by members of law enforcement.

I am aware of the fact that there may soon be a group of dedicated attorneys who will offer their collective knowledge of State and Federal firearm laws to the residents of CT.

Based on my monitoring of posts on this and other message boards, I now believe that certain issues are very common.

Do these topics seem familiar?

The requirement that an appointment is necessary to submit an application for a permit.
The delays in obtaining an appointment to submit an application
Innocent mistakes on the application by applicants which cause denials
The failure of issuing authorities to read and know the law pertaining to permits
The additional requirements imposed on applicants by issuing authorities
The failure of issuing authorities to submit fingerprints to DPS in the mandated five days
The failure of issuing authorities to make a decision within one week after receipt of the National Criminal History Records Check
Incorrect statements by issuing authorities that the delay is caused by a backlog at DPS or the FBI

PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION WITH AN OPEN MIND.

There are many individuals who will find this information unnecessary, so please understand that it is meant for those with questions and those who live in communities where obtaining a Permit to Carry is complicated by unwritten rules and/or the incompetence of those who are charged with enforcing the law.

There are many individuals who have the ability to submit applications for Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers and do so in firearm friendly communities in Connecticut.

On the other hand, there are those with incidents in their past, or who live in communities that fail to understand or abide by the law when processing Permits.

Having watched hearings at the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners and read related posts on several message boards, I am convinced that many permit applicants should consider the assistance of a knowledgeable firearm attorney from day one.

The law clearly mandates what it takes to apply for and obtain a Permit to Carry a Pistol or Revolver in CT, and clearly mandates certain deadlines for issuing authorities to act and/or make decisions.

I know of no better way to put issuing authorities on notice or send a very clear message that the applicant is SERIOUS and needs to be respected than having an attorney involved in the process from day one.

I have been pitching this to several Connecticut Attorneys and law firms for several months and can report here that I have had some success.

Here is the process that I have been pitching:

Offering Permit Applicants a simple Eight Week Firearm Permit Retainer Agreement

1. Explanation of information or circumstances that may be required or exempt on the DPS-799 Pistol Permit Application.

2. Administrative assistance with client's Pistol Permit Application preparation and supporting documents.

3. Written advice and recommendations to client on submitting a completed accurate Pistol Permit Application.

4. Notarization of client's Pistol Permit Application and related exhibits prior to submission to an issuing authority.

5. Submission of client's application by Certified mail, (return receipt), with the Attorney's Cover Letter.

6. Weekly monitoring to determine when clients FINGERPRINTS or POSITIVE I.D. information is submitted to SPBI/FBI. (per CGS 29-29)

7. Weekly monitoring of SPBI and FBI fingerprint based criminal history background check progress.

8. Pistol Permit Application monitoring for compliance with 5 day, one week and eight week statutory requirements. (per CGS 29-29)

9. Letters, (3 max - 5 day, one week and eight week)), to issuing authority regarding mandatory time requirements mandated by CGS 29-29, as needed.

10. Payment of local and state Permit Fees by Law Office check.

11. Prepare a written request for Expedited Appeal Hearing Before the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners if necessary and justified

We pay to attend and take the approved course of instruction, we pay for the weapons we carry for self defense, we pay for our ammunition and the range time to become proficient with our weapons.

Why shouldn't we retain and compensate a knowledgeable attorney to answer our questions, provide us with timely factual information and monitor our applications while they move through the process.

To have and know an attorney from day one sends a very clear message that we should not be ignored or misled in our desire to keep and bear arms for self defense.

I'm sure that more will become known about this in the next couple of months.

Last edited:

KIX

Obviously, not everyone will need the service (some towns actually do a great job).

others, sadly, really need a kick in the backside.

Even if we attain the goal of ending suitability, we would still need attorneys that would work for a reasonable fee to help people with rather old records. I've seen too many people in their 40's that haven't committed any crimes in over two decades that would need help cleaning up their old records.

I find it insanely sad to think we need a permit and/or an attorney to exercise our rights.

Jonathan

Claytron

i cant attest to the difficulty of Maine's application because i have nothing to compare it to, but there were a few confusing parts and seeing as how i really didnt want any delay i decided to go into the police department and get clarification. A guy behind the counter looked it over and helped me for a few minutes filling out a few things and said everything was perfect and i twas all set...

Two weeks later I get a call saying that there was missing information and i had to go back in to redo it so apparently the guy helping me wasnt too familiar with it.

The thing that really stinks is the time wasted... two week delay on a four week approval time really sucks, especially when you took the time to go into the PD and confirm that the application was all set.

Gunslinger

i cant attest to the difficulty of Maine's application because i have nothing to compare it to, but there were a few confusing parts and seeing as how i really didnt want any delay i decided to go into the police department and get clarification. A guy behind the counter looked it over and helped me for a few minutes filling out a few things and said everything was perfect and i twas all set...

Two weeks later I get a call saying that there was missing information and i had to go back in to redo it so apparently the guy helping me wasnt too familiar with it.

The thing that really stinks is the time wasted... two week delay on a four week approval time really sucks, especially when you took the time to go into the PD and confirm that the application was all set.

But you knew you would get the permit in a Free State. Our friends in the PDR of CT have no such guarantee.

KIX

Ha, Maine........ complaining of just six weeks........

let me tell ya some of the horror stories I'm hearing in my study to end suitability here in CT.

While I'm at it.... PDR of Connecticut......... I'd even drop the D, we lost democracy quite some time ago.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a representative republic while I'm at it.......

Jonathan

Claytron

Ha, Maine........ complaining of just six weeks........

let me tell ya some of the horror stories I'm hearing in my study to end suitability here in CT.

While I'm at it.... PDR of Connecticut......... I'd even drop the D, we lost democracy quite some time ago.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a representative republic while I'm at it.......

Jonathan

I wasnt complaining about a 6 week turnaround time, i was dissappointed that an officer looked it over, said it was perfect and ended up being incorrect. But he was a young officer and im a devout follower of the **** Happens religion.

careful about calling people out for whining though, someone always has it worse than you.