• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The price of defending yourself,( long post to read)

CalicoJack10

There is no good way to talk about this. The cost to the children is far worse than any monetary amount anyone could come up with. The only way to combat this at all is to find a way to charge the criminals for the cost, in most states there is restitution for other tabs that the state or federal government pick up for the actions of criminals, but in self defense there is not.

Not to mention the toll that this takes on the woman who was forced to shoot the dingle berry that decided to break into the house. And the other children who have not yet come to terms with the fact that their mother, who is a symbol of safety to them, had to commit a violent act. They do not yet understand that it was done to keep them safe, and this will likely scar them for life.

Again, I have to ask, what is the price of our safety?

Captain Nemo

We live in a world of paradoxes. We live in a country that will train our 18 year old men and women to use firearms and send them off to kill people that have no argument with us other than a difference in ideologies yet that same country will deny, or make us fearful, of using our rights to defend ourselves and families from a criminal element that has no other motive but to do us harm. Sure some of you will say that Al Quida is a criminal element that threatens us. That is an excuse the goverment uses to justify it's actions. The North Korean, Syrian, Iraq, Taliban, Iranian, Jordan, Palestine factions have shown no overt threat to us yet our soldiers are trained to kill them at a moments notice, while at home we are not allowed to defend ourselves from the criminal element without a lot of controversy. As I said, we live in a paradox.

civilwarguy

We live in a world of paradoxes. We live in a country that will train our 18 year old men and women to use firearms and send them off to kill people that have no argument with us other than a difference in ideologies yet that same country will deny, or make us fearful, of using our rights to defend ourselves and families from a criminal element that has no other motive but to do us harm. Sure some of you will say that Al Quida is a criminal element that threatens us. That is an excuse the goverment uses to justify it's actions. The North Korean, Syrian, Iraq, Taliban, Iranian, Jordan, Palestine factions have shown no overt threat to us yet our soldiers are trained to kill them at a moments notice, while at home we are not allowed to defend ourselves from the criminal element without a lot of controversy. As I said, we live in a paradox.

Just another point to think about what about when the individuals trained by our country to protect it come home and get looked down upon by the same government for living with the same "heightened state of awareness" they were trained to always keep themselves in. I find it funny that the whole time i was in the service it was always be prepared for anything to happen but yet when i voice my desire to be allowed to carry everywhere i go in order to be prepared for whatever may happen i get told no you cant carry here or there... Or when i talk to state reps (not just ones from my area) and am told well we need to have training to carry concealed otherwise it isn't safe. So i guess according to their thinking my training is good enough to get sent overseas to protect this country but we don't trust you when you get home.

I am sorry but i fought for the rights given to us by god and recognized by our founding fathers. Don't tread on me isn't just a motto its a way of life. When you come for my rights you had better be prepared for a fight because i choose to defend myself and my rights by any means necessary (the way my government trained me to).

hardballer

Buck up. The price of freedom and liberty is not free. I don't know much in this life that is free. Scared for life, How about; they have a life. We have raised a couple of generations of Docile, frail, and weak individuals who's first thought when in trouble of any kind is to call the government.

These idiots go skiing, hunting, camping, hiking, exploring with out proper preparation and expect to be bailed out. I haven't even touched the entitlement class of civilians. We have created a society of adult children in need of a wet nurse living in some escapist dream world..

Before you get your undies in a bundle, I know there are those among us who legitimately needed a hand, one way or another at some point. Please get that I am not speaking of you.

there are bad people in this world and they need to be dealt with. Unfortunately, sometimes a civilian must engage these goblins and the result is a fatality. We do not live in utopia. Life is not easy and there are bad people intent on taking what you have, whether it be your things or your life.

In such cases, violence must be met with violence. That is the real world. The rest of it is someone's fairytale. The truth of it is this, you may never have to face violence or danger in this life. The odds are not in your favor. Better to be mentally and physically prepared than hope and wish for unicorns and teddy bears.

Ultimately, very sobering...

The things we learned from the home invasion in Oklahoma
http://bit.ly/eDU2zg

Mother shoots two home invaders
http://bit.ly/besMo8

We are all ok thanks to my wife.
http://bit.ly/hBQ5Aj

civilwarguy

Before anyone jumps on me for being un-patriotic. I served my time protecting this country. 3years. Air Force, just after Korean war, flying F-86 sabre jets.

i dont know why anyone would jump on you for being un-patriotic i saw nothing i your post that would suggest such.