• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The one time I'm not carrying in my home...

SIGdude

I was getting ready for work a little bit ago, and thus, was not wearing pants appropriate for supporting the weight of a pistol. I went out onto my front porch, my wife was working in our garden. She suddenly yells and points to the road in front of our house (we live on the busiest road in town, which is actually just highway 33 through the middle of our city) There is a dog running accross the street. Traffic stops and a woman and my wife run out there and coax it into our yard.

I tell them to put it in our fence so they can keep it controlled, it was pretty scared and flighty. So then the next door neighbor girl comes over, along with the husband of the woman that helped my wife with the dog. Across the road I and through the parking lot I can see a guy walking towards us, I figured it was his. So I start walking into the front door of my house so I can walk through to the back door and into the pen to get the dog, that way I won't risk opening the gate and the little guy getting out again.

I'm almost through to the back when I hear the guy start screaming at my wife to "stop being a F***** B**** and give him his F***** dog." So naturally I burst out my back door to confront him about it, and my two little dogs run out. Naturally my wife starts freaking out because now, god forbid, the dogs are in the same pen together. (I have a shihtzu-poodle and a Cocker-poodle mix, both between 15 and 20 pounds; the dog we got from the road was about a 20 lb beagle.) They are barking at each other and she is now screaming at me to stop them and break it up.

I walk over to the dog and gingerly pick him up, and start to hand him to the owner. The owner grabs -just- the collar, no scruff, and yanks him out of my hands and walks away, jerking his dog's neck while doing it. Then my wife starts yelling at me for not being there to protect her and for just letting him get away with that. Apparently she would have preferred seeing me off to jail instead of work.

This gentleman lives in a traditionally low-income duplex that has a constant throughput of criminals and unsavories. Baggy cargo pants hanging halfway off his ass, no shirt, his toddlers running around barefoot in the parking lot unsupervised. That kind of guy. My wife even admitted that had I been out there and confronted him about how he was talking to her, he would have tried to hit me. "Well had my dad been here he wouldn't have let that guy get 3 words in edgewise." Great, your dad isn't here, and thus is not in the patty wagon on the way to lockup for peacing some punk out.

Then the guy walked the dog back to his place, put it in the house and sat on his porch and watched my wife do yardwork for 20 minutes. She's mad I didn't go yell at him or something. It isn't a crime to face north on your patio 300 feet away from someone doing yardwork. I dunno, I get she was scared, but it seems inappropriate to have it be taken out on me.

Had I been dressed, I'd have had the gun on, and I would imagine the whole encounter would have gone much more pleasantly; but I didn't, because ripped out pajama pants can't support my holster, let alone my gun. I don't think I would have even needed to motion or make mention of it. It cools people out, and sadly the first time I really could have used it was one of the few times I couldn't wear it.

hardballer

Living where you live, I don't know how you can relax. I live in a place close to low income individuals who are unpleasant as well. They have actually complained to the sheriff about my "flaunting" my gun. You are right. It does have a cooling effect.

I have spoken to several individuals over the years with the same result. When I spoke to them or asked them a question or demanded an action from them, they responded with a hardy "yes sir". I've never had to draw it. It just has a way of calming goblins down... Heheheh...

anmut

I was getting ready for work a little bit ago, and thus, was not wearing pants appropriate for supporting the weight of a pistol. I went out onto my front porch, my wife was working in our garden. She suddenly yells and points to the road in front of our house (we live on the busiest road in town, which is actually just highway 33 through the middle of our city) There is a dog running accross the street. Traffic stops and a woman and my wife run out there and coax it into our yard.

I tell them to put it in our fence so they can keep it controlled, it was pretty scared and flighty. So then the next door neighbor girl comes over, along with the husband of the woman that helped my wife with the dog. Across the road I and through the parking lot I can see a guy walking towards us, I figured it was his. So I start walking into the front door of my house so I can walk through to the back door and into the pen to get the dog, that way I won't risk opening the gate and the little guy getting out again.

I'm almost through to the back when I hear the guy start screaming at my wife to "stop being a F***** B**** and give him his F***** dog." So naturally I burst out my back door to confront him about it, and my two little dogs run out. Naturally my wife starts freaking out because now, god forbid, the dogs are in the same pen together. (I have a shihtzu-poodle and a Cocker-poodle mix, both between 15 and 20 pounds; the dog we got from the road was about a 20 lb beagle.) They are barking at each other and she is now screaming at me to stop them and break it up.

I walk over to the dog and gingerly pick him up, and start to hand him to the owner. The owner grabs -just- the collar, no scruff, and yanks him out of my hands and walks away, jerking his dog's neck while doing it. Then my wife starts yelling at me for not being there to protect her and for just letting him get away with that. Apparently she would have preferred seeing me off to jail instead of work.

This gentleman lives in a traditionally low-income duplex that has a constant throughput of criminals and unsavories. Baggy cargo pants hanging halfway off his ass, no shirt, his toddlers running around barefoot in the parking lot unsupervised. That kind of guy. My wife even admitted that had I been out there and confronted him about how he was talking to her, he would have tried to hit me. "Well had my dad been here he wouldn't have let that guy get 3 words in edgewise." Great, your dad isn't here, and thus is not in the patty wagon on the way to lockup for peacing some punk out.

Then the guy walked the dog back to his place, put it in the house and sat on his porch and watched my wife do yardwork for 20 minutes. She's mad I didn't go yell at him or something. It isn't a crime to face north on your patio 300 feet away from someone doing yardwork. I dunno, I get she was scared, but it seems inappropriate to have it be taken out on me.

Had I been dressed, I'd have had the gun on, and I would imagine the whole encounter would have gone much more pleasantly; but I didn't, because ripped out pajama pants can't support my holster, let alone my gun. I don't think I would have even needed to motion or make mention of it. It cools people out, and sadly the first time I really could have used it was one of the few times I couldn't wear it.

Hmm sounds like you need to carry some protection from that wife of yours! I usually keep something shiny in my pocket to distract my wife when she gets like that... :)

MKEgal

anmut said:
I usually keep something shiny in my pocket to distract my wife when she gets like that... :)
First reaction: chocolate & a hug also work well (esp. together). Add to that hug: "honey, I'm so sorry you were scared" in the most sincere voice you have ever managed, & it would go a long way to calm her down.
You're not admitting fault for not protecting her, you're acknowledging how she feels... and if you love her, you really do feel bad that she was scared.

Second reaction: she was scared.
Followup to that: get her her own pistol*. What will she do if the guy comes back while you're at work & does more than glare at her?

*and as our friend from Utah points out, that comes with training & thought & learning about the laws

Last edited:

Zeus

A friend of mine told me once, the best thing to do when you live in a new neighborhood, is to sit out on your front porch on a nice day and clean your guns. I have done it and I have never had a bad neighbor since :) Maybe coincidence?

jpm84092

Followup to that: get her her own pistol. What will she do if the guy comes back while you're at work & does more than glare at her?

MKEGAL offers great advice. Let me add to that - after getting her a pistol of her own, get your wife some competent training using said pistol. It is my experience that most anti-gun persons, particularly female anti-gun persons, are anti-gun because they are afraid of guns because they do not understand guns and do not know how to hold, load, or operate them safely. They lack the knowledge, skills, and attitude to safely own and operate a pistol. (That would be the NRA Instructor coming out in me.)

In a recent post to the forum of the US Concealed Carry Association, I posted about having recently conducted a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course for schoolteachers. These guardians of Utah Children had made a decision to carry a concealed firearm in their classrooms in the event the unthinkable happened. Some female teachers had never held a firearm before. After that course, and a few who took the NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation Course from me, they were avid lovers of range shooting and plotting and planning to purchase a pistol. (Please take note that in Utah, a Utah "permission slip" allows one to carry inside the GFSZ including into the school and into the classroom.)

Fear of firearms comes from ignorance of firearms. Many anti-gun folks are ignorant of the fact that a firearm does not just discharge itself. It needs help in the form of a finger on the bang stick.

Carry on my friends, proudly carry on.

jpm84092

A friend of mine told me once, the best thing to do when you live in a new neighborhood, is to sit out on your front porch on a nice day and clean your guns. I have done it and I have never had a bad neighbor since :) Maybe coincidence?

Mr Zeus,

I like you thinking and have done exactly what you suggested. I have, on more than one occasion, decided to clean my "black rifle" and a handgun or two on my front porch.

Krusty

Your friend gives sound advice. A few decades ago I moved into a low rent housing area and had an uncle across the street. I was "warned" of my new next door neighbor and his 2 doberman's. When I was unloading at the back door he would let the dogs get within about 3 feet of me and then asked if the dogs were bothering me. I pulled my coat aside so he could see my Mod 25 S&W and told him in a very calm voice they were no bother, if they bite me I'll just blow their fu***** brains out. The dogs were immediately taken inside and we became best of friends.

pkbites

About a year ago I was in Baraboo on some busines for 3 days. I was stunned that such a small city has so many low life scumbags. And traffic through there is terrible.

I've observed on WILENET that the Baraboo police department has a continuous recruitment for officers. No other department in this state has that. What's the deal? Is turnover high?

civilwarguy

About a year ago I was in Baraboo on some busines for 3 days. I was stunned that such a small city has so many low life scumbags. And traffic through there is terrible.

I've observed on WILENET that the Baraboo police department has a continuous recruitment for officers. No other department in this state has that. What's the deal? Is turnover high?

my guess would be due to the low pay it is being used as a jumping off point for those who want to get in law enforcement and then leave as soon as they find something better.

abechira

SIGdude, your neighbor seems to have some personal issues, nothing you can do about that. Having your firearm at your side might have had a different outcome, for better or for worse, depending on his mental state. Your wife should have never chastised you for exercising better judgment. You were cool, calm and collective. Your wife was not physically assaulted neither did your neighbors intent seem to be of that. It is not a crime to be an an offensive jerk. Next time leave that dog to his fate, and keep your Situational Awareness on yellow when dealing with this fool. Just my .02 worth.:cool:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
i WOULD HAVE kicked the poo outta him just for treating his dog that way & went to jail for it..so be it......... I HATE people that abuse Dogs & Animals in General.....

SIGdude

to address several points brought up in this thread.

1.) Wife isn't anti gun, she just doesn't feel comfortable carrying one. She doesn't want me to buy her one, frankly, I can't really afford it right now, but I own two handguns.

2.) I had -never- met this man before. Never even seen him. Constant transience from the housing across the street and parking lot. Obviously I will watch him like a hawk now.

3.a.) Baraboo is the mule town for Madison, a ton of grow operations here, amongst other things. The garbage seems to flock here.
3.b.) The amount of seedy stuff that happens in this town, coupled with low pay, a -very- young average age, and some higher ups that are downright unbearable in the force are what contributes to the issues you see in the police force. I honestly can't tell you the names of any officers that have been there less than 20 years, since the rift is so great... not that I talk to the police a whole lot here.
3.c.) As an aside and after the fact, Baraboo has, or at least had, more murders in a 10 year period than any other similar sized town nationwide a few years ago; I may not be recalling it exactly right, but there is over 1 a year here, typically.

4.) Sorry GlockRDH, not anything here, buffet-wise, that is worth mentioning. Nothing really in the area that I like a lot, mostly overpriced chinese that falls short. Sadly we would have to go to East Berkeley if we wanted a choice of buffets. I saw you at the annual meeting for about 9 seconds from across the room. By the time I made it over to your last known location, you were gone, nowhere to be found.

5.) I can't let an animal suffer. Would never sit by and let it get smoked by a car. Conversely, I just started a new job, and I can't afford to go to jail over some *******'s obviously abused beagle, regardless of how bad I wanted to help the poor thing.

6.) The housing situation is weird around here, always has been. I've lived in this house for 5 years, most of the houses on both sides of 33 are very nice, large, old houses kept in great shape. My one neighbor is an old house jerry-rigged as a duplex, incredibly low income, but not much issue from them, just them yelling at my dogs from time to time. Across the street is a business with a large parking lot, and then houses on up, all really nice. Behind them is an alley; crossing that alley is like crossing over the Kaiu Wall (bonus points if anyone knows what I'm talking about) You aren't so much traversing an alley as you are stepping into an entirely different realm, despite being 12 feet of difference, you are on a completely different plane of existence. Run down houses, rotten people, unsupervised children, nightly yelling. It's all on the same square block, I imagine the property value is reduced by nearly 25% because of some of those houses.

Last edited:
M

McX

SIG aint no paradise nowhere. out here in the burbs, they're all very politically correct, and will cut your throat, or stab you in the back every chance they get. and greet you with 'howdy neighbor' the very next day. all i can say is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris