• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any gay or gay friendly shooters in or around Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sultan62

^ I tell people I work in personal security all the time.

That seems to appease most who then raise their brows and go "Oohhh, ok". Like hearing that I get paid to carry a gun means they're cool with it. No jerks or criminals ever end up in those kinds of jobs of course.

Of course by personal security I just mean myself but it somehow settles the average sheeple.

Others have used this excuse on my behalf, but I haven't and don't intend to. Part of my reason for carrying openly is to normalize the sight of guns on regular people. I don't want to appear to be part of a special club that gets to carry.

elixin77

Yeah, I'll side with Sultan on this one Smith45. I OC for many reasons, but one of the reasons is so I can make the people around me used to seeing a gun. If I brush off their questions with "I'm an armed guard" then their brain stops working after that. If I tell them I'm a regular joe shmoe from down the street just trying to protect himself, then the gears start moving

rotorhead

Others have used this excuse on my behalf, but I haven't and don't intend to. Part of my reason for carrying openly is to normalize the sight of guns on regular people. I don't want to appear to be part of a special club that gets to carry.

+37

It also serves to falsely reinforce the myth that somehow "training" is an unwritten requirement to exercise a right, something that's becoming quite annoying as of late.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Ok Ok. I guess I made a big deal out of nothing. I just wanted to be open about it so it would cause a problem with someone later but seems it caused more of an issue saying something then not saying something. I guess I was wrong. So can we put the dead horse to bed now. Man they need a way to close a post or delete it. LOL

Actually, that's not true. Keep reading.

I'm curious what one's sexual orientation has to do with guns, shooting, or the right to do anything related to both? Why bring it up?

Any Heterosexuals, or Heterosexual Friendly people wanna come shoot in or around Gainesville, FL? How about Bisexuals?

We all bleed red, what's the big deal? Welcome to Equality. Your genitals, and what you do with them, are not relevant.

Why bring it up? What's the big deal? Let me clue you in on something, something that you being a "straight guy" probably wouldn't understand. When people go to shooting ranges together, they talk with each other. Talking about shooting and guns 100 percent of the time for hours on end is not gonna happen. Personal life will creep in somehow. "Why do you have to ask about it or talk about your personal life" almost without fail comes from a straight person to a gay person. It's never the other way around.

Gay people have to be guarded in a manner that straight people don't have to be. In order to avoid conflict and also the potential of injury or death, gay people have to be guarded about what they say it to or who I say it to, or they face backlash, anywhere from the spectrum of being told "be quiet about your personal life, I don't want to hear about it", with the awkwardness that ensues afterwards; to direct personal insults, prosletising, and bullying towards said person; to infliction of injury, from mild to crippling; and being murdered."

It's not that Carry24/7 believes that you folks would do physical harm, but how would you straight guys feel if someone told you to basically shut up if you talked about your wife, or told you that your 'lifestyle' *gag* is a sin?

That's why Carry24/7 is asking if someone who was gay or "gay friendly". Gay friendly means someone who is fully supportive of what they are, and know for certain that being "gay" doesn't mean "radical leftist", though to be fair, there are some leftists who are greatly pro-2A.

If you can't have a good relationship in general with your range partner, and if it any way limits conversations to solely guns, it will not work out. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Last edited:

PT111

MY wife is originally from Charlotte and she had an uncle that never married and may or may not have been gay. I never asked or made any comments about it. We just treated him like any other member of the family. It never bothered me in the least. After he died I asked my wife about it and she said that she really didn't know that no one ever brought it up. it was always suspected but no one cared.

I have a 17 year old nephew that has declared that he is gay. In his case rather than trying to be a person who happens to be gay he is trying to convince everyone that he is and isolating himself from society. That he is gay is not the problem but how he in handling it is. It is like he is trying to punish everyone else for him being gay which may be understandable. The point is that "most" people don't really care but judge you as a person by how you act. But as some have pointed out there are some people that will judge someone on everything including being short, fat or a different skin color.

Carry24/7

MY wife is originally from Charlotte and she had an uncle that never married and may or may not have been gay. I never asked or made any comments about it. We just treated him like any other member of the family. It never bothered me in the least. After he died I asked my wife about it and she said that she really didn't know that no one ever brought it up. it was always suspected but no one cared.

I have a 17 year old nephew that has declared that he is gay. In his case rather than trying to be a person who happens to be gay he is trying to convince everyone that he is and isolating himself from society. That he is gay is not the problem but how he in handling it is. It is like he is trying to punish everyone else for him being gay which may be understandable. The point is that "most" people don't really care but judge you as a person by how you act. But as some have pointed out there are some people that will judge someone on everything including being short, fat or a different skin color.

This is my take on your post. No one knows if the uncle was gay or not, that tells me that no one cared to really know the true him and would rather keep it a secret. I'm sure if he was he never told becuase he was afraid that he would lose family. So if he was to me it sounds like the guy died alone and probably never felt safe or accepted. Sad.

As for the nephew I dought he is trying to punish EVERYONE for him being gay. Sounds to me like he's just trying to be accepted into the family but doesn't want to have to hide and be scared of who he is. If my take on the uncle is correct he doesn't feel accepted and that's why he is isolating himself. It's not from society but the family that doesn't want to hear it. Someone who has the balls to come out is not going to hide from society. Again sad. Hope the kid makes it.

And to say most people don't care, well just listen to all the S$%^ gays have to hear from people and you might understand. A straight person saying they understand, do they truly? Do you know what it's like to be black? And unfortunately for the fat people or the black people they can't hide who they are and will be judged.

Gunslinger

Just looking for someone interested in going to the range with. I have a partner of 9 years who doesn't like to shoot much. I have a G 22 27 and 36 a S&W M&P 15 a Kel Tec PLR 16 and last put not least a Sig Mosquito.

A little about me: I'm 37 white, live in Belmont. Prior Military and work in the security field.

If this is a problem for you please do not respond.

Just curious, why mention Gay or Gay friendly? Why not just ask if anyone is interested in shooting with you? And why mention your race? You're looking for someone to have some fun with for a few hours, not make a life long commitment. I mean no offense, but am curious, as I said.

Gunslinger

PT111 It is much like the other day two students were getting carried away with their "affection" in the lounge area at the school. I stepped in and told them to knock it off and act like adults instead of junior high students. The boy said "But this is my fiance". I told him said:
You're mean...:>

Gunslinger

Ok Ok. I guess I made a big deal out of nothing. I just wanted to be open about it so it would cause a problem with someone later but seems it caused more of an issue saying something then not saying something. I guess I was wrong. So can we put the dead horse to bed now. Man they need a way to close a post or delete it. LOL

Don't worry about it. Consider it a learning experience for this forum. We may argue about a lot of things--and some of us are not exactly forgiving of police acting like thugs, but in general personal activities/beliefs away from 2A issues are tolerated quite well.

Carry24/7

Just curious, why mention Gay or Gay friendly? Why not just ask if anyone is interested in shooting with you? And why mention your race? You're looking for someone to have some fun with for a few hours, not make a life long commitment. I mean no offense, but am curious, as I said.

Go back and read what Gray Peterson said. He was able to say what I was trying to say.

Gunslinger

Actually, that's not true. Keep reading.

Why bring it up? What's the big deal? Let me clue you in on something, something that you being a "straight guy" probably wouldn't understand. When people go to shooting ranges together, they talk with each other. Talking about shooting and guns 100 percent of the time for hours on end is not gonna happen. Personal life will creep in somehow. "Why do you have to ask about it or talk about your personal life" almost without fail comes from a straight person to a gay person. It's never the other way around.

Gay people have to be guarded in a manner that straight people don't have to be. In order to avoid conflict and also the potential of injury or death, gay people have to be guarded about what they say it to or who I say it to, or they face backlash, anywhere from the spectrum of being told "be quiet about your personal life, I don't want to hear about it", with the awkwardness that ensues afterwards; to direct personal insults, prosletising, and bullying towards said person; to infliction of injury, from mild to crippling; and being murdered."

It's not that Carry24/7 believes that you folks would do physical harm, but how would you straight guys feel if someone told you to basically shut up if you talked about your wife, or told you that your 'lifestyle' *gag* is a sin?

That's why Carry24/7 is asking if someone who was gay or "gay friendly". Gay friendly means someone who is fully supportive of what they are, and know for certain that being "gay" doesn't mean "radical leftist", though to be fair, there are some leftists who are greatly pro-2A.

If you can't have a good relationship in general with your range partner, and if it any way limits conversations to solely guns, it will not work out. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

While what you say does occur, I think you're exaggerating its level of occurrence. Sure, there are many who believe homosexuality is evil, sick, amoral...fill in the blank. But those who hold it against an individual 'personally' are a small subset of that. I have liberal friends. Even cops. And quite a few gays--male and female. I couldn't care less--excepting it makes for lively discussion on politics, about their beliefs because I like them and they like me. If a gay can be a friend on a personal level, why would I care about them collectively? Further, I firmly believe many who make derogatory comments about a class of people, Black, Gay, Jews--again, fill in the blank, don't believe or hold to the comments on an individual basis. Just my 2 cents, but based on living a lot of lifetime.

Carry24/7

While what you say does occur, I think you're exaggerating its level of occurrence. Sure, there are many who believe homosexuality is evil, sick, amoral...fill in the blank. But those who hold it against an individual 'personally' are a small subset of that. I have liberal friends. Even cops. And quite a few gays--male and female. I couldn't care less--excepting it makes for lively discussion on politics, about their beliefs because I like them and they like me. If a gay can be a friend on a personal level, why would I care about them collectively? Further, I firmly believe many who make derogatory comments about a class of people, Black, Gay, Jews--again, fill in the blank, don't believe or hold to the comments on an individual basis. Just my 2 cents, but based on living a lot of lifetime.

Well if your ok with one person being gay, black, Jews, fill in the blank then why make an anti remark about the whole group? They are part of that group. Unless your gay,black,Jew-- fill in the blank you can't understand or know how often it happens. I don't tell everyone that I'm gay so I hear all the anti gay comments. And if we just go to the range an shoot then no big deal but if there come a point that we hang out outside the range( being it grabbing a beer or a meal or a cook out) my partner may come along. So if it would be a problem for someone then I'd rather not put them or myself in that position.

singhcr

I can understand what Carry 24/7 is talking about.

I am the type of person who isn't too worried about saying what he thinks. However, there are some times where my "lifestyle" is contrary to the environment that I am in at the moment.

I am having a number of job interviews at the moment. I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm fascinated by history- as a result, I really like collecting military surplus firearms because I can see the craftsmanship and how engineering principles change over time and from nation to nation. For example, the French MAS 49/56 has a gas impingement system that's far superior to the M16 design because the gases do not enter the receiver but push directly onto the bolt carrier- and it was designed by a French engineer in 1905.

Many times during my interviews I am asked what my interests outside of work are, as people that are ME's will usually find hobbies that show their interest in how things work. I have to censor myself here because while I can say that I'm interested in record players and computers, I can't say that I'm interested in firearms. It's a perfect example of how my natural curiosity in how things work, particularly mechanical things, apply to my personal life and show how I have a passion for my work because I use my skills outside of work. However, firearms aren't politically correct and I may not get hired as a result, so I have to shut up. Once I get hired I will not hesitate to talk about my interests, but I'm the type of person that believes strongly that people should be able to do and say what they want without fear of shame or reprisal so even in that 2 hour block of time I hate not being able to say what I am thinking. I've had to be reminded several times by my friends and family that getting a job in a bad economy is more important than my dislike of self-censorship. I agree, but I still hate it.

Asking ahead of time whether someone is gay or gay friendly is a simple way of eliminating these potential problems. It should not be necessary to do so, but there are a lot of closed-minded people out there.

Spearhead

Not sure what you mean? What my statement says/means is I'm looking for someone in the area to shoot with that doesn't give a **** about someone being gay, straight, or whatever. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not going to hide who I am but I don't scream it either.

Bro, if I'm getting jacked up in the parking lot of the convenient store by some thug, and you're there with your piece on my side, I wouldn't give a rats ass what your sexual habits were.

Carry24/7

Bro, if I'm getting jacked up in the parking lot of the convenient store by some thug, and you're there with your piece on my side, I wouldn't give a rats ass what your sexual habits were.

I'm sure no one would at that point. LOL Hell at that point I wouldn't care if you hated gays. I would stand by and watch someone get hurt no matter who they were. But would you hang out with a gay guy any other time? I see you were/are in the Army. What's your thoughts of gays in the Military? I did 10 years and saw some good soldiers booted just for that fact.

Dreamer

I grew up in MD and DC and thought that was how it was all over the U.S.A.

Yeah, most people in MD and DC have absolutely NO IDEA that the gun laws in that area are, in fact, the EXCEPTION in the USA, and not the rule...

I lived in NoVa for 15 years, and worked in DC for 2 and MD for 10 of that. My stepdaughters and granddaughter live in MD and I visit them often, so I am VERY familiar with the "MD Mindset", andI have become a bit of an expert on MD Firearms Laws, for what they are worth.

I OC whenever I'm in MD--in our Condo. We own property in Columbia, and as such, I am permitted by MD law to OC on my own property. Gotta love the "letter of the law"... ;)

Glad to see you finally "swam the moat" and got into the "FreeZones". The People's Republic of Murderland, and the District of Columbia (which IS a "district" of "Columbia"...) are embarrassing blots of tyranny and unmitigated governmental corruption on the otherwise free and law-abiding Mid-Atlantic Region.

I could go on and on about how F-ed up the laws (and the LEAs, and even some of the supposedly Pro-2A orgs) are in MD, but I see that "GrayPeterson" has entered this thread, and since he's one of the many unofficial "watchdogs" on this forum for the "MD Gun Rights Organization That Shall Not Be Named", I'll stop talking about MD, lest I am reported to the "higher powers", and the evil Valkyries of Censorship swoop down upon this thread and begin ripping entier post out of it to toss down the "memory hole"...

I have been CCing for almost 2 years now. Was told that OC was legal but if someone calls the police you more than likely would face GATTTOP. So even after reading all the info on this site I have to say I'm still a little worried. LOL The funny thing is I'm an armed security officer and I OC for work but reluctant when not in uniform. I'll get there some day. I think I would get less hassel from a LEO because of my job.

Search around here in the NC section for some of my GAttTotP essays. This is yet another of the pernicious urban myths perpetuated by CC instructors in NC, and we are working hard to dispel this foul untruth. GAttTotP is NOT some sort of loosey-goosey whim of a law that can be thrown around with impunity by LEOs if they don't like you OCing. IT has VERY specific conditions that must be met in order to be applicable, and to my knowledge it has NEVER held up as a "stand-alone" charge in a situation concerning lawful, legal OC.

Again, welcome to OCDO, and welcome to NC.

Stay Safe...

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Way to come out swinging buddy. When you settle down, lets talk...

I'm all for it. And I understand it better than you know. I have a secret of my own I can haul out of the closet that will twist your brain: I wish I were gay, but I'm not. What do you do with that one? Am I in Narnia, I wish!

I'm just pointing out that if you have to be guarded about it, or you want to be treated as an equal, why bring it up?

Bring your partner. Be the stereotypical Flaming Queer. All you'll get from me is a high-five and hysterical laughter. I love it when people have the balls to go all-out and damn what others think. I guess that's the real point I'm making here. What happened to "We're here, We're Queer, and there's nothing you can do about it!" It's like you're asking permission to 'shoot while gay.' Stand up man! nobody here is going to have a problem with it. We're not the $10,000 shotgun NRA types. We love freedom for ALL around here. Don't be bashful.

"I like boobies and want to put my ding-dong in vaginas; is it ok if I shoot with you guys?" - Just for asking that question, I'm likely to be told 'no, you should stay home, freak." Not because of the orientation, but because it's just weird...

Last edited:

PT111

Not because of the orientation, but because it's just weird...

LOL at that comment because it is true that people get the wrong impression of what we are laughing at so many times. Sometimes you just have to laugh. I looked at one of the students at our school the other day and said "You must be very brave and ready to fight". He said "I'm a lover not a fighter". I said, "Well if a fight breaks out you are going to have to stay and fight because there is no way in the world you can run from a fight with your pants hanging down around your ankles like that".

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Just looking for someone interested in going to the range with. I have a partner of 9 years who doesn't like to shoot much. I have a G 22 27 and 36 a S&W M&P 15 a Kel Tec PLR 16 and last put not least a Sig Mosquito.

A little about me: I'm 37 white, live in Belmont. Prior Military and work in the security field.

If this is a problem for you please do not respond.

Carry24/7 -- I'm up in Cabarrus county but would have no problem meeting up at one of the local ranges for some target practice. I am a liberty-minded individual and I don't worry about anyone who isn't infringing on my rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.