• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reaction in Vallejo that was actually quite hilarious...

DooFster

I was carrying my Jennings Nine 9mm (yeah, a cheap gun, but it's my first one), and my wife wanted her usual smoothie from Jamba Juice. When I walked in, the "barista" (or whatever smoothie makers are called nowadays) asks me the following question: "Are you......here to rob me or something?"

I replied with: "No ma'am, why do you ask?"

"Well, you have a gun on you, and I've not seen a person with a gun around town."

"I am wearing a gun, yes..."

"Is that even legal?"

"Yes, ma'am..." (while handing her literature about OC)

(I then ordered my smoothies)

When I walked out of the shop, she mentioned to me as I headed toward the door: "You and your friends who carry guns legally are more than welcome to come here while doing so!"

"Awesome, ma'am!"

Then here's the second funny part - as soon as I get out the car, I notice 3 VPD cars lit up and 5 officers approach me. They do an e-check on me, smile at me, release me, and only reply with "We got a call about a MWAG, so we had to come. When we saw it was one of you OC'ers, we just did what we had to do, so please don't think we are picking on you."

(a few moments go by of cracking jokes and just chatting)

"We WANT more of you running around here in these parts. Have a nice day, sir..."

My reply: "Thank you, gentlemen! You have a great day too!"

I get into my car, roll out of the parking lot, and head back to the house...

Good day, good e-check, and good graces from the men and women of the Vallejo Police Department...

Last edited:

Claytron

I was carrying my Jennings Nine 9mm (yeah, a cheap gun, but it's my first one), and my wife wanted her usual smoothie from Jamba Juice. When I walked in, the "barista" (or whatever smoothie makers are called nowadays) asks me the following question: "Are you......here to rob me or something?"

I replied with: "No ma'am, why do you ask?"

"Well, you have a gun on you, and I've not seen a person with a gun around town."

"I am wearing a gun, yes..."

"Is that even legal?"

"Yes, ma'am..." (while handing her literature about OC)

(I then ordered my smoothies)

When I walked out of the shop, she mentioned to me as I headed toward the door: "You and your friends who carry guns legally are more than welcome to come here while doing so!"

"Awesome, ma'am!"

Then here's the second funny part - as soon as I get out the car, I notice 3 VPD cars lit up and 5 officers approach me. They do an e-check on me, smile at me, release me, and only reply with "We got a call about a MWAG, so we had to come. When we saw it was one of you OC'ers, we just did what we had to do, so please don't think we are picking on you."

(a few moments go by of cracking jokes and just chatting)

"We WANT more of you running around here in these parts. Have a nice day, sir..."

My reply: "Thank you, gentlemen! You have a great day too!"

I get into my car, roll out of the parking lot, and head back to the house...

Good day, good e-check, and good graces from the men and women of the Vallejo Police Department...

Why do all these open carry stories end up sounding almost exactly alike?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Although I'm an outsider and don't have to deal with that e-check crap, where does your silly law require an e-check?

MKEgal

(Putting aside the discussion of if the law is constitutional...)
The statute you cited allows officers to perform an action, it does not require a check.
So how do officers decide who to check?
I mean, how do they look at someone and decide that this person's gun might be loaded?
Are there reports of officers who don't check, or who merely ask the citizen if s/he is complying with the [ridiculous] law of not carrying loaded?

Gundude

So how do officers decide who to check?
I mean, how do they look at someone and decide that this person's gun might be loaded?
Are there reports of officers who don't check, or who merely ask the citizen if s/he is complying with the [ridiculous] law of not carrying loaded?

It depends on which officer is doing the check. Some UOCers have been approached with weapons drawn. Some have just done a "HI, how are you" and everything in between.
A couple of yrs ago, one UOCer was arrested and taken downtown. Later he was released and paid off to the tune of $35,000 by for a false arrest.
I have had about 5 (e) checks since I started UOCing, and all have been very low key. One happended with out an inspection. One happened in La Mesa and the LEO's were very nervous. I suspect it was their first encounter with UOCers. It was more like a training exercise for them.

DooFster

I'm always getting "looked" at by VPD but they've only done an e-check once. They've even stopped randomly and asked me how I felt about OC'ing and I told them it is something that all should do.

They even told me that they shouldn't bother me anymore with e-checks since they have a description of me at the office and it says that I'm legal. Now if that's true, awesome. If not I will just work with what I've got.

hgreen

Can we stop saying e-check experiences go well?

Someone not from CA would read these posts like we don't care about our rights in CA and are happy to just not get guns drawn or arrested for participating in a 100% legal activity.

There is no such thing as a good e-check or one that went well.

The fact is police do not have to do it and many don't, those that do, do so on their own free will; making it very clear that they are the ones with the power and you are the subject.

Until we stop thinking and posting that these "go well" or "are ok" we will never make progress.

DooFster

You did get that on audio, didn't you?

Sorry C3... Didn't get it.

Can we stop saying e-check experiences go well?

Someone not from CA would read these posts like we don't care about our rights in CA and are happy to just not get guns drawn or arrested for participating in a 100% legal activity.

There is no such thing as a good e-check or one that went well.

The fact is police do not have to do it and many don't, those that do, do so on their own free will; making it very clear that they are the ones with the power and you are the subject.

Until we stop thinking and posting that these "go well" or "are ok" we will never make progress.

I understand what you're saying... There are always those that have the bad experiences and I'm just saying that if someone else goes around in Vallejo I doubt they'll get bugged by VPD... That's all...

cato

I encountered my first on duty 'uoc experience' just the other day. I did not check the sidearm, but I probably don't count since I told him I wished he was loaded.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I encountered my first on duty 'uoc experience' just the other day. I did not check the sidearm, but I probably don't count since I told him I wished he was loaded.

May you always represent both with honor and integrity. Thanks.

Presume you mean you wished his handgun was "loaded."...:lol:

Last edited:

hgreen

That's like asking to report something that did not happen.

We had about 20 people open carry at the Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair last fall, walked right with officers for several minutes chatting with them. Not even once did they ask if guns were empty or hint at doing e-checks.

I OC in Hermosa Beach daily and never once been e-checked there. Closest I came was late night when walking dogs I called in a suspicious activity call and waited for them to show up, told the dispatch I was OCing, cop that showed up just verbally asked if it was unloaded.

We have held SBOC events with 70+ people, the police are well aware of the events and if they do show up they just come to check-in with us and tell us to call them if we have any problems.

So yes, does happen, and it happens all the time that police do not do the optional check, despite having the opportunity.

Even in San Diego we had about 15 to 20 people OCing at the Multicultural fair, walking right along side SDPD officers, not a single e-check or even question if they were loaded.

Cops who do choose to perform e-checks are the exception and should be treated as such.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Did you give him a big hug? A high-five? I imagine you had a big smile on your face.

Gunslinger

Maybe because so many are very much alike - quick, clean and simple.

Why do you ask?

He must be from a Free State where you can OC LOADED handguns without being subject to loss of your 4th Amendment rights--your 2A rights already having been trampled in the PDR. Unloaded carry is legal in Kalifornia, so why do the cops stop people for the 'e-check' BS in the first place? It has as much standing in the law as stopping you in your car to see if you have a license.

DooFster

So, what you're saying is that you arent taking the precaution of carrying an active audio recorder in the event that police encounters are not as friendly as this one turned out.

Oh, I was activated. There was really no need to keep the audio file because of the fact that it didn't go south...