Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 88

Thread: Turned table - LEO gets the boot from cafe

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613

    Turned table - LEO gets the boot from cafe

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112Vp...eature=related

    I wonder if one LEO now has a better perspective of OC?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    you sure that was about OC? i dont know the story besides what was on the video, but the video made it sound like he just dosent like cops. he stated that it was b/c they pick on homeless people. he never did say it was about OC.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    It had nothing to do with OC, it is a hang out for folks whom enjoy weed and police presence hinders the ability to distribute etc.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    184
    Ok my 2 cents. Anyone that thinks this is justified obviously has no clue about anything. What i heard in that video was the same type of rhetoric spouted by the Brady Bunch, except it was aimed at cops not at guns. Everyone that owns a gun is not a bad guy, same as everyone that wears a badge is not corrupt. If u can actually think this is ok then you are a criminal who has no business owning a gun. So now this officer knows what discrimination feels like, but does anyone know him? Has he personally ever harassed or discrimanated against an OCer? He's in Oregon so who knows? Just saying if u believe he deserves it for being a cop then u have to believe Ocers deserve it for carrying. Step back and take a good look, it's the exact same principle, discrimination.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ok my 2 cents. Anyone that thinks this is justified obviously has no clue about anything. What i heard in that video was the same type of rhetoric spouted by the Brady Bunch, except it was aimed at cops not at guns. Everyone that owns a gun is not a bad guy, same as everyone that wears a badge is not corrupt. If u can actually think this is ok then you are a criminal who has no business owning a gun. So now this officer knows what discrimination feels like, but does anyone know him? Has he personally ever harassed or discrimanated against an OCer? He's in Oregon so who knows? Just saying if u believe he deserves it for being a cop then u have to believe Ocers deserve it for carrying. Step back and take a good look, it's the exact same principle, discrimination.
    You obviously have no clue about anything.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If u can actually think this is ok then you are a criminal who has no business owning a gun.
    So now a persons thoughts dictate whether they are a "criminal" or not.... and whether they should own a gun? Their thoughts? REALLY??

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    640
    well..i would of laughed a little and thought to myself..."sucks dont it?"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396
    Its well within the property owner's rights to ask him to leave. If I were the officer, it probably would have irked me just as it would if I wasn't causing any problems and was still asked to leave any other place for any other reason including carrying a firearm openly while not being a uniformed officer.

    If a police officer walked in my front door right now, I'd demand that he leave. I really prefer not to have armed agents of my government on my property without my summoning them there first.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    I really prefer not to have armed agents of my government on my property without my summoning them there first.
    Yup.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    SNIP I really prefer not to have armed agents of my government on my property without my summoning them there first.
    Your government? Ah-HA! Now I know who to **tch at when Congress screws up!

    Seriously, though, I pretty much quit referring to it as my government. I want no ownership of it. Its a political lie to make me feel like I have some say in it (as though the politicians really do or care what the voters want, or provide sage leadership when the voters want something they shouldn't have.)

    Re-read the 14th Amendment. There is a clause in there that completely contradicts the whole "we the people" and "consent of the governed" scam. Right in the first sentence:

    "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States..."

    We can't unconsent to be governed. The government is gonna give us government, but good, and plenty of it. Even if they have to bend, twist, and mutilate the constitution to do it.
    Last edited by Citizen; 04-13-2011 at 01:48 AM.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Speaking of which, I have to write an essay about "The Literary Arts of the Contact Zone" (read about it if you care), and I've decided to select "No Treason" as my object of analysis. Lots of fun I'm having with that very subject, just tonight.

    Hopefully my professor enjoys getting something a little... different from the usual fare.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-13-2011 at 03:38 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If u can actually think this is ok then you are a criminal who has no business owning a gun..
    Wow. Where do we turn our guns in? Exactly what crime did we commit? Private business that doesn't want me to carry, I won't patronize. Private business that doesn't want cops, the cop can find another place to buy his doughnut. Nothing, failing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the follow-on BS, says you have to serve 'anyone.'

    You have a right to your 2 cents. And that's exactly what it's worth.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    184
    Ok sorry im not a literary scholar and maybe phrased it the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is that it's discrimination. It had nothing to do with whether they allow guns or not. It was simply becuase he was a LEO. So if u think its ok and within their rights, we can go back to the Civil Rights Act. Is it ok to kick someone out of a store for being black? No. Mexican? No. Martian? No. So why is it ok to discriminate becuase of his job? It's not. That was my point.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ok sorry im not a literary scholar and maybe phrased it the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is that it's discrimination. It had nothing to do with whether they allow guns or not. It was simply becuase he was a LEO. So if u think its ok and within their rights, we can go back to the Civil Rights Act. Is it ok to kick someone out of a store for being black? No. Mexican? No. Martian? No. So why is it ok to discriminate becuase of his job? It's not. That was my point.
    Lawfully, it is okay as its not a protected class of citizen as the others are by law.

    Is it morally right or wrong to kick an officer out? That one is up to the individual. Some people believe they should have the right to deny anyone service no matter who they are or what association they are using to discriminate upon. In a sense, I can actually agree with that to an extent if we are going to agree that private property for a business is actually "private" property. No law should tell an owner of a business who he has to sell his wares or services to in my opinion but its a tough road to go. I would think that in today's day and age, if you put a sign up on your store front that no blacks are allowed for example, that many people of all races would be so turned off by it that the publicity could really hurt your business. I wouldn't do business with them but I kind of feel it should be their right. That's not going to happen to such an extent for the business man that kicks out gun carriers, police men, underdressed patrons or dog walkers though.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ok sorry im not a literary scholar and maybe phrased it the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is that it's discrimination. It had nothing to do with whether they allow guns or not. It was simply becuase he was a LEO. So if u think its ok and within their rights, we can go back to the Civil Rights Act. Is it ok to kick someone out of a store for being black? No. Mexican? No. Martian? No. So why is it ok to discriminate becuase of his job? It's not. That was my point.
    A person holds a job by choice. A person does not choose to which race he belongs.

    The two are in no way analogous.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    That business owner is a knucklehead, straight up, plain and simple.
    Last edited by OC for ME; 04-15-2011 at 07:49 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Mo., ,
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    That business owner is a knucklehead, straight up, plain and simple.
    ^^^This.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    Its well within the property owner's rights to ask him to leave. If I were the officer, it probably would have irked me just as it would if I wasn't causing any problems and was still asked to leave any other place for any other reason including carrying a firearm openly while not being a uniformed officer.

    If a police officer walked in my front door right now, I'd demand that he leave. I really prefer not to have armed agents of my government on my property without my summoning them there first.
    Nothing wrong with that....to bad the office didn't simply say....it's his property to do with as he pleases.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ok sorry im not a literary scholar and maybe phrased it the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is that it's discrimination. It had nothing to do with whether they allow guns or not. It was simply becuase he was a LEO. So if u think its ok and within their rights, we can go back to the Civil Rights Act. Is it ok to kick someone out of a store for being black? No. Mexican? No. Martian? No. So why is it ok to discriminate becuase of his job? It's not. That was my point.
    Police are not a protected class. Neither are Martians. This is not discrimination. It is the choice of a business owner to deny service to someone he chooses not to serve.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 04-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    184
    Discrimination is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category.


    I'm not arguing law I am simply saying it is discrimination as defined by the meaning of the word. And actually if it came down to it, a good lawyer could legally prove discrimination. Being a police officer might not exactly be a protected class according to statutes but this legal system no longer applies the statutes literally it applies what an attorney can convince the jury of.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    And actually if it came down to it, a good lawyer could legally prove discrimination. Being a police officer might not exactly be a protected class...SNIP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class
    Protected class is a term used in United States anti-discrimination law. The term describes characteristics or factors which can not be targeted for discrimination and harassment. The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" and persons cannot be discriminated against based on these characteristics:
    Race - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Civil Rights Act of 1866
    Color - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Religion - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
    National origin - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Age (40 and over) - Federal: Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
    Sex - Federal: Equal Pay Act of 1963 & Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Familial status (Housing, cannot discriminate for having children, exception for senior housing)
    Sexual orientation (in some jurisdictions and not in others)
    Gender identity (in some jurisdictions and not in others)
    Disability status - Federal: Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 & Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
    Veteran status - Federal Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974
    Genetic information - Federal: Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
    Looking over the list... No, I don't see "LEO status" anywhere on the list.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class


    Looking over the list... No, I don't see "LEO status" anywhere on the list.
    Quite right... LEO's do not qualify. Does anyone here let police wander into your house at will? If not, is it because you are breaking the law? Or because you just prefer that they don't wander through your house looking for chance to increase money flow to the city? Cops are always looking for reasons to arrest or cite people. It is their JOB to generate revenue and clean up crime scenes. Do you really believe that they want to socialize with you and "get to know the neighborhood better?" If so, you are naive. Ignorance is bliss so congrats to you if you live in this state of denial.

    MY eyes are wide open.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class


    Looking over the list... No, I don't see "LEO status" anywhere on the list.
    Jeezus! Don't give 'em any ideas!

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by peterarthur View Post
    Quite right... LEO's do not qualify. Does anyone here let police wander into your house at will? If not, is it because you are breaking the law? Or because you just prefer that they don't wander through your house looking for chance to increase money flow to the city? Cops are always looking for reasons to arrest or cite people. It is their JOB to generate revenue and clean up crime scenes. Do you really believe that they want to socialize with you and "get to know the neighborhood better?" If so, you are naive. Ignorance is bliss so congrats to you if you live in this state of denial.

    MY eyes are wide open.
    Well said, sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Jeezus! Don't give 'em any ideas!
    Oops! Maybe I should redact my post before folks get wind of it.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Lady Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    53
    I'd be willing to be the business owner has a sign in his place that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". It's not illegal to refuse to serve someone in your own business.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •