• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turned table - LEO gets the boot from cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And actually if it came down to it, a good lawyer could legally prove discrimination. Being a police officer might not exactly be a protected class...SNIP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class
Protected class is a term used in United States anti-discrimination law. The term describes characteristics or factors which can not be targeted for discrimination and harassment. The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" and persons cannot be discriminated against based on these characteristics:
Race - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Civil Rights Act of 1866
Color - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
Religion - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
National origin - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
Age (40 and over) - Federal: Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Sex - Federal: Equal Pay Act of 1963 & Civil Rights Act of 1964
Familial status (Housing, cannot discriminate for having children, exception for senior housing)
Sexual orientation (in some jurisdictions and not in others)
Gender identity (in some jurisdictions and not in others)
Disability status - Federal: Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 & Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Veteran status - Federal Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974
Genetic information - Federal: Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

Looking over the list... No, I don't see "LEO status" anywhere on the list.

peterarthur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Looking over the list... No, I don't see "LEO status" anywhere on the list.

Quite right... LEO's do not qualify. Does anyone here let police wander into your house at will? If not, is it because you are breaking the law? Or because you just prefer that they don't wander through your house looking for chance to increase money flow to the city? Cops are always looking for reasons to arrest or cite people. It is their JOB to generate revenue and clean up crime scenes. Do you really believe that they want to socialize with you and "get to know the neighborhood better?" If so, you are naive. Ignorance is bliss so congrats to you if you live in this state of denial.

MY eyes are wide open.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Quite right... LEO's do not qualify. Does anyone here let police wander into your house at will? If not, is it because you are breaking the law? Or because you just prefer that they don't wander through your house looking for chance to increase money flow to the city? Cops are always looking for reasons to arrest or cite people. It is their JOB to generate revenue and clean up crime scenes. Do you really believe that they want to socialize with you and "get to know the neighborhood better?" If so, you are naive. Ignorance is bliss so congrats to you if you live in this state of denial.

MY eyes are wide open.

Well said, sir.

Jeezus! Don't give 'em any ideas! :p

Oops! Maybe I should redact my post before folks get wind of it. ;)

Lady Glock

I'd be willing to be the business owner has a sign in his place that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". It's not illegal to refuse to serve someone in your own business.

OC for ME

I'd be willing to be the business owner has a sign in his place that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". It's not illegal to refuse to serve someone in your own business.

As long as you do not violate Title VII. Go for it. However, bad career move to toss a paying customer out cuz you got a problem with "da man"....business owner dude is a real tool. After hearing this I wouldn't go there. Being in MO, I ain't gotta think about it. But I would do the same to any business here in MO that I could possible visit AND I would let them know too.

No law against being stupid if you ain't being stupid and breaking the law.

Lady Glock

As long as you do not violate Title VII. Go for it. However, bad career move to toss a paying customer out cuz you got a problem with "da man"....business owner dude is a real tool. After hearing this I wouldn't go there. Being in MO, I ain't gotta think about it. But I would do the same to any business here in MO that I could possible visit AND I would let them know too.

No law against being stupid if you ain't being stupid and breaking the law.

What if he kicked out a doper, a career criminal, a crooked politician (but I repeat myself)...would you feel the same way for them and refuse to do business with him?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Not worried about a "what if". All I know is that a LEO got sent packing for basically being a LEO. Not good in my book.

Well, make sure you don't patronize his business.

In my book, it was good -- although his defense of his position could have been more eloquent.

I've no doubt I'd enact a similar policy. That's the policy in my residence. Seems like a prudent one for a business, too.

Gunslinger

Discrimination is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category.

I'm not arguing law I am simply saying it is discrimination as defined by the meaning of the word. And actually if it came down to it, a good lawyer could legally prove discrimination. Being a police officer might not exactly be a protected class according to statutes but this legal system no longer applies the statutes literally it applies what an attorney can convince the jury of.

In a court of law, it is a legal term--not sociologic. Unless an "underclass," you cannot be a plaintiff alleging dicrimination.

tittiger

More people should do this.

I for one am one of those people that feel the same way as this man and as do countless law abiding Americans.
I have been homeless and harassed and terrorized by these thugs. Also it is like Ayn rand predicted in Atlas Shrugged, and absolutely everything these days is a crime. More people should be brave enough to do this. I am sure many think it.

Last edited:

papa bear

first i do think that a property owner has every right to ask someone to leave his property. and it drives me nuts, when a ordinance denies my rights. but say that a LEO, just because he is a LEO, can carry in a given area
i have close relatives in LE that would be welcomed if they came to my house socially, but they had better have a warrant if they came officially.
but, i'll side with Marc, this is still a two wrongs don't make a right.

Evil Tyler Durden

Crummy California the most unfair state in the uni
I like how the Broad states "I feel a human being was humiliated". When most cops are dirty and two faced. I guarantee you that she would NOT feel the same way if any of us Law Abiding Citizens were OCing. I bet you she would be the 1st person to call the cops. I'm also willing to bet she's sleeping with that specific cop, why else would she goto the extent of writing a blog about it. Too bad none of us were OCing in the area that day and at the same time actually in that same line ordering coffee behind the cop. I bet manager would have welcomed us to stay.

goalseter88

I for one am one of those people that feel the same way as this man and as do countless law abiding Americans.
I have been homeless and harassed and terrorized by these thugs. Also it is like Ayn rand predicted in Atlas Shrugged, and absolutely everything these days is a crime. More people should be brave enough to do this. I am sure many think it.

He had the right to, but it wasn't braveness that he did it for. I dont like it if he didnt have a good reason. In my opionion, i dont think he had much of a reason to other then he has the right to do it. I sorry you had a bad experience with cops, dosent make them all bad. Same way with stores, when you OC, i had some ask me to leave, dosent mean i expect them all to just b/c of one. I dont like getting kicked out of stores either, just b/c they have a right to kick me out.

tittiger

He had the right to, but it wasn't braveness that he did it for. I dont like it if he didnt have a good reason. In my opionion, i dont think he had much of a reason to other then he has the right to do it. I sorry you had a bad experience with cops, dosent make them all bad. Same way with stores, when you OC, i had some ask me to leave, dosent mean i expect them all to just b/c of one. I dont like getting kicked out of stores either, just b/c they have a right to kick me out.

I think you missed the point that all cops make some people nervous. I am one of those and would not want one in my home or my business.

And yes I think the way things stand ALL cops are bad each and every one of them because they all enforce mala prohibita law. Perhaps with a long hunt I could turn up a few in the whole country that do not do that.

Regardless they make me nervous and in a free society I choose not to be around them and BTW that does not mean me leaving my business when a LEO walks in.

Festus_Hagen

I think you missed the point that all cops make some people nervous. I am one of those and would not want one in my home or my business.

And yes I think the way things stand ALL cops are bad each and every one of them because they all enforce mala prohibita law. Perhaps with a long hunt I could turn up a few in the whole country that do not do that.

Regardless they make me nervous and in a free society I choose not to be around them and BTW that does not mean me leaving my business when a LEO walks in.
:eek:

One of the self percieved elite gets tossed out on his ass and whines about it. Welcome to the serf world.

opencarryinmo

bet the police take longer to respond to calls from that business

i bet now that the police will take a little bit longer to respond to calls from that business, cause they do not want them there, poor choice to tell a police officer he is not welcome to be at your business, yes it is the business owners right to refuse service to any one but i would not have it be a police officer, or any public service personal these are the people that respond to major emergency to keep them safe, not a good idea to ask them to leave.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
i bet now that the police will take a little bit longer to respond to calls from that business, cause they do not want them there, poor choice to tell a police officer he is not welcome to be at your business, yes it is the business owners right to refuse service to any one but i would not have it be a police officer, or any public service personal these are the people that respond to major emergency to keep them safe, not a good idea to ask them to leave.

What kind of fool is reliant on the police in the first place?

Big mistake you're making there. They have no duty to protect.

I have never once seen an instance where a situation was improved by the cops being called. I guess it happens occasionally... on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.