• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does it make you fell big?

FTG-05

"Sorry a simple piece of metal frightens you; sounds like a personal problem."

Your way worked too. Good job!

papa bear

fortunately, encounters with non-carriers, are positive. i mostly get "i have thought about carrying, but didn't know i could". how you react to an encounter does depend a lot on timing. like what mood you in are and how much you are willing to interact with people. but, also how the person projects themselves.

Now i do feel that ignoring them is can be a bad thing.
1. these are people that want to push their weight around and show how big they are, by pushing someone around
2. ignoring them just encourages them to do it to someone else, till they run into someone who is not going to take it
3. if they get away with it. they will escalate it up more.

i used to do collections and repossession, and i would tell my people to treat the people
friendly, fair and firm. always be polite and be sure to know your facts. this site is one of the best resources on that.
remember if you get in a shouting and name calling match. you prove what some already believe and make up the mind of others

btw i think ScOtt handled the situation very well.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
It seems like the Police always roll by in a hurry when someone who had zero interaction with the carrier calls them up to "investigate" so why wouldn't they want to help someone out who is actually being harassed by another person directly?

sultan62

Sadly enough more and more people are taking this view. I've heard it time and time again and even to the point of "well you should just stop playing officer" As I've said before if you want to OC then go for it, I do it, from time to time when I'm to lazy to put my IWB holster on but I prefer concealment and harp on concealment pretty hard in my classes just for the simple reason that the OP posted about.

Why not just present both options, with the inherent risks, instead of 'harping' on your preference?

FTG-05

Sadly enough more and more people are taking this view. I've heard it time and time again and even to the point of "well you should just stop playing officer" As I've said before if you want to OC then go for it, I do it, from time to time when I'm to lazy to put my IWB holster on but I prefer concealment and harp on concealment pretty hard in my classes just for the simple reason that the OP posted about.

So, gun owners should roll over and play dead? We should let those who have a demonstrable irrational fear of guns to determine whether or not we keep ourselves safe or how we carry a gun?

I've said this before and I'll say it again (I'm probably stealing someone else's words, but I have no clue who's):

OCers are leading the charge for our gun rights, they're on the spear point of the charge. God bless everyone one of them for being the Rosa Parks of our generation.

Last edited:

WTFOVER

Why not just present both options, with the inherent risks, instead of 'harping' on your preference?

I do present both options, I also present both options with problems that could arise from carrying either way. As I said, I prefer concealment vs OC. The majority of students that have been through my class take concealment over OC also (atleast the ones that are part of my email list about new bills, etc)

So, gun owners should roll over and play dead? We should let those who have a demonstrable irrational fear of guns to determine whether or not we keep ourselves safe or how we carry a gun?

Please show me where I said the OP should roll over and play dead. I said I've heard worse come from people talking to people who OC. Also, if you notice I said I prefer concealment over OC expect when I'm to lazy to put my IWB holster on (which is very rare) I never said people shouldn't OC

OCers are leading the charge for our gun rights, they're on the spear point of the charge. God bless everyone one of them for being the Rosa Parks of our generation.

Got some stats to back that up? Cause at least here in NC the bills that are currently going through the process are all geared to conceal carry people.

Resto Guy

My reaction...

Quote from OP> "Man: does it make you feel big carrying it like that?"

No Sir, but thanks for asking. This is my first time openly carrying a handgun, because I'm actually conducting an experiment. You see, research has shown that very often open carriers are insulted by a$$holes. It appears that my experiment confirms that.
Thank you for your contribution.

Sc0tt

"If by "that" you mean this firearm shaped ass-hole magnet, I'm terribly sorry I forgot I had it turned on"

sultan62

I do present both options, I also present both options with problems that could arise from carrying either way. As I said, I prefer concealment vs OC. The majority of students that have been through my class take concealment over OC also (atleast the ones that are part of my email list about new bills, etc)

You stated that you "harp on concealment pretty hard" in your classes. The fact that you are presenting both does not mean that you are presenting both fairly. If you are harping on concealment, as you said, then you are throwing your personal bias into the mix instead of letting the students choose based on a fair presentation of each option.

IOW, I'm asking the same question I asked the first time, again.

fisty

Been there my self A few times my self. I carry my pistol on the dash at all times. A few weeks ago i had a as... Nice guy ask me why i carried a gun, trying to be a bad ass? When i ask why it bothered him? He told me. Well if i try to rob you you would shoot me. I almost wet my self laughing. At lest he was being honest.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some years ago while carrying a full size 1911, a matronly lady asked me if I was compensating for something.

"Yes mam, that's why I'm carrying one of my smaller guns.""

It took second or two to get through, her expression was classic...:eek:.. She said no more.

WTFOVER

You stated that you "harp on concealment pretty hard" in your classes. The fact that you are presenting both does not mean that you are presenting both fairly. If you are harping on concealment, as you said, then you are throwing your personal bias into the mix instead of letting the students choose based on a fair presentation of each option.

IOW, I'm asking the same question I asked the first time, again.

And once again I will say, I talk about both. Pros vs Con's. Since it is a concealed carry class I will talk more about concealment vs OC. What they do outside of the class is up to them, I just know that the ones I've stayed in contact with carry conceal vs OC.

Sc0tt

And once again I will say, I talk about both. Pros vs Con's. Since it is a concealed carry class I will talk more about concealment vs OC. What they do outside of the class is up to them, I just know that the ones I've stayed in contact with carry conceal vs OC.

Of course they do. If I spent the 100 dollars for the 2 day class, plus the ammo to quality + the 80 dollar application fee, followed by the 10 dollar mental health check, followed by the 30 day wait (Randolph county, damn them)
Id be an idiot (no offense to anyone) not to use the crap out of it for a while. Thats a lot of time and money to wear a jacket over something that you have every right to walk around with in the first place.

sultan62

Of course they do. If I spent the 100 dollars for the 2 day class, plus the ammo to quality + the 80 dollar application fee, followed by the 10 dollar mental health check, followed by the 30 day wait (Randolph county, damn them)
Id be an idiot (no offense to anyone) not to use the crap out of it for a while. Thats a lot of time and money to wear a jacket over something that you have every right to walk around with in the first place.

Actually the $10 is for fingerprinting. Other than that, yeah. Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Dreamer

The difficulty of dealing with people who are confrontational about OC is that they are CLEARLY mentally unstable and incapable of rational thought.

If they WERE mentally stable, do you think they would get all up in your face when you are CLEARLY armed?

'Nuff sed...

I think the OP handled this situation as well as he could. The only thing he might have done better was to:

1) have a voice recorder on his person, and activated as soon as the encounter began,
2) had a NC OC card, or NC Gun Rights brochure to hand the guy.

But given the obviously unbalanced state of the guy who confronted the OP, I think he handled it VERY well.

Good luck, and stay safe!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip---
1) have a voice recorder on his person, and activated as soon as the encounter began,
!

Best is to have the voice recorder running at all times when you are out and about. I carry spare rechargeable batteries and change them on a set schedule.