• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can your local city government tell you that you're in violation?

mem1977

My neighbor normally will be on his property target practicing with his firearms. He and I both live on the creek bank in the city of Martin, Floyd County, KY. While he was target shooting his gun over the hill into the creek. A city police officer rolled up in his car and told him he was in violation of city ordinance and that he couldn't be firing his gun in city limits.

Now I am almost 100% sure that the city can't do that. If its on your property what business is it of theirs? Can anyone let me know of the state law that says the city is in violation?

:question:

CharleyCherokee

The preemption statute of Kentucky says nothing about the discharge of firearms so it is possible that there could be some local statutes on it. Unless you could convince the officer that firing the bullet is "transferring" it as someone put it in another post. :p

CharleyCherokee

Additionally did the officer do anything other than warn about it? Might have respectfully asked him which statute you were in violation of so you could have looked into it.

neuroblades

I'm fairly local to you mem1977, I can't answer for sure on your query, What I can tell you is that if the city of Martin is like most cities, they can do this, IF the person is within city limits. The big question is IF Martin has this in effect.

boomer92266

What business of theirs is it? How about the noise disturbing others, frightening pets and children? What about the danger of bullets flying around from every direction in confined spaces? What if half of the residents of the city decided to fire off a few rounds at the same time, would there be enough cops to make sure they were all shooting safely? Would they ever have time to do anything else? This forum is about open carry, not about shooting in any place. Shooting a gun, outside of a properly constructed range, in a populated area is just plain stupid. If anyone wants to shoot on their own property they need to move outside of any cities.

i agree with gutshot, THIS IS WHY I MOVED FROM GLASGOW, KENTUCKY TO A LITTLE COMMUNITY in monroe county called bugtussle. i can carry here without anyone saying a thing, and the best part my neighbors shoot more than i do. i love being in the country, i don't think fireing a gun inside a cities limits is a good thing especially near water where a bullet could ricochet. thanks

flb_78

Im sure that all municipalities have laws against the discharge of firearms inside the city limits except at a certified range.

Also, do y'all own the land on the other side of the creek? If not, he's shooting onto someone else's property and that's a big no no without their permission.