Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: The Brady Campaign is a radical splinter group!

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    The Brady Campaign is a radical splinter group!

    In another thread I commented how it was typical for someone in the Brady Campaign to be interviewed any time some major firearm event made the news, but other groups with larger and more right wing membership are rarely heard from. A poster here recently asked about some official counts of membership for the various pro freedom groups.

    Well, I did a little checking, and it comes out approximately like this:

    NRA: 4 million plus

    CCRKBA: 650,000

    Second Amendment Foundation: 350,000

    GOA: 300,000+




    Now for the Anti Freedom Group:


    Brady Campaign: 50,500 (In one document they stated their 2004 membership was "about a half million")

    For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there. The Media needs to keep this group going so they will have a willing shill to carry their anti-2nd Amendment bigotry to the masses. It would be great to see a debate on Fox News asking all these organizations their own take on why they fill the niches they do. If Brady and Helmke were asked to explain why they were so often blown up in the viewers' eyes as great heros of civilization, when they are really rather minor players in a radical fringe group, the answers would be very very dramatic and filled with many stories from their archives telling us how fortunate we are to have them.

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    In another thread I commented how it was typical for someone in the Brady Campaign to be interviewed any time some major firearm event made the news, but other groups with larger and more right wing membership are rarely heard from. A poster here recently asked about some official counts of membership for the various pro freedom groups.

    Well, I did a little checking, and it comes out approximately like this:

    NRA: 4 million plus

    CCRKBA: 650,000

    Second Amendment Foundation: 350,000

    GOA: 300,000+




    Now for the Anti Freedom Group:


    Brady Campaign: 50,500 (In one document they stated their 2004 membership was "about a half million")

    For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there. The Media needs to keep this group going so they will have a willing shill to carry their anti-2nd Amendment bigotry to the masses. It would be great to see a debate on Fox News asking all these organizations their own take on why they fill the niches they do. If Brady and Helmke were asked to explain why they were so often blown up in the viewers' eyes as great heros of civilization, when they are really rather minor players in a radical fringe group, the answers would be very very dramatic and filled with many stories from their archives telling us how fortunate we are to have them.
    Thanks, I was at least one poster who was curious about these numbers.

    Tell me this: How cool would it be if we could get VCDL membership higher than the Brady Bunch! And completely reachable, if you ask me!

    TFred

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Brady Campaign: 50,500 (In one document they stated their 2004 membership was "about a half million")
    For those who didn't already know, it gives us a strong indicator about how accurate all their other numbers are...

    Multiply by 10, then publish!
    Last edited by ixtow; 04-10-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  4. #4
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    For those who didn't already know, it gives us a strong indicator about how accurate all their other numbers are...

    Multiply by 10, then publish!
    When you think about it, 50,000 is nothing.... in a country with 310million+

    Why are they making such a big push with so little members?

    With all the anti gun people out there, you think they have more members.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 04-11-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    634

    Does the term...,

    "House of cards" ring a bell?

    sidestreet

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Tell me this: How cool would it be if we could get VCDL membership higher than the Brady Bunch! And completely reachable, if you ask me!
    TFred
    I have every reason to believe that VCDL membership numbers dwarf the Brady Bunch within Virginia right now.

    Does anybody have actual/confirmable number by states for them?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I have every reason to believe that VCDL membership numbers dwarf the Brady Bunch within Virginia right now.

    Does anybody have actual/confirmable number by states for them?
    It's kind of hard to tell. Aren't the Brady's broken up into splinter cells in Va.?

  8. #8
    Regular Member USNA69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    375

    Brady Campaign Comes To The Big Screen

    Well, it is the NARO Theater in Norfolk, so it is not that big a screen.

    Excerpt from the Monday Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:

    DOCUMENTARY ON GUN VIOLENCE TOUCHES ON TECH
    Naro offers screening, Q&A with VT survivor
    By Joanne Kimberlin
    The Virginian-Pilot
    Agree with him or not, Colin Goddard is hard to dismiss.

    Tall. Chiseled. Well-spoken. And shot four times by a psychotic gunman at Virginia Tech.

    Some survivors of the rampage focused on forgetting. Goddard decided to let April 16, 2007, determine his course. He became a voice for the 32 who died, and a poster boy for the push to tighten gun laws.


    Read the full article here: http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIVE...&view=ZW50aXR5

    This thought occurred to me while reading the article:
    "It sure was a good thing that not one of the Virginia Tech students or faculty was armed. Somebody could have really been hurt."

  9. #9
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there.
    The same could be said of the $outhern Poverty Law Center and race-baiters like Morris Dees and Mark Potok.

    These worshipers of Lincoln and disciples of Goebbels are a blight on humanity and only further serve to perpetuate statist yankee lies in order to "preserve" a union which not only does not need to be preserved, but might actually fare batter if it wasn't.

    All of the problems with this country can be traced back to one single man and one singular symptom - lust for power.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    Well, it is the NARO Theater in Norfolk, so it is not that big a screen.

    Excerpt from the Monday Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:

    DOCUMENTARY ON GUN VIOLENCE TOUCHES ON TECH --snipped--

    Read the full article here: http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIVE...&view=ZW50aXR5
    While the place and time are mentioned, the date is not. Is it by invitation only?

    Best quote from the Va Pilot articles is:

    "Goddard knows it’s impossible to stop all the bad guys from getting guns. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. To throw your hands up in the air and say there’s nothing we can do about it is ridiculous"

    Yep, sure is ridiculous, but Goddard has repudiated any personal responsibility for his safety and would have us do likewise.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    While the place and time are mentioned, the date is not. Is it by invitation only?
    It's an E-Pilot article. One would have to know the date of the article - I am guessing sometime over the weekend (Saturday, maybe?) and at the bottom it says 7 PM Wednesday.

    I guess that's this Wednesday, and a visit to http://www.narocinema.com/ confirms.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    It's an E-Pilot article. One would have to know the date of the article - I am guessing sometime over the weekend (Saturday, maybe?) and at the bottom it says 7 PM Wednesday.

    I guess that's this Wednesday, and a visit to http://www.narocinema.com/ confirms.

    From a good friend who apparently want to see if I can really cave in my skull from headbanging.

    Oil up the keyboard keys and get ready to send in those responses. No fair writing them ahead of time and just waiting till the credits roll to hit the "SEND" key.

    stay safe.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subj: hbo gun special coming wednesday


    FYI -
    NPR had Barbara Kopple on yesterday, talking about GUN FIGHT, a special she's done on guns. From the interview, seems that although she has some pro-rights people on, she's convinced by the antis. The show itself, of course, will show one way or the other.
    This HBO "documentary" premeires Wednesday at 9pm Eastern; it will also air on Saturday and on April 21, 25 and 29.

    Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/11/354...#ixzz1JDnC7fSU

    Sounds like it'll be worth watching and responding to -- we'll at least need to be able to respond intelligently to the issues they'll raise. Some links are below.

    =============================================
    HBO main link to this has trailer and synopsis, probably more. See it at:
    < http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/ind...ries/gun-fight >
    Commentary and background:
    < http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/11/354...n-look-at.html >
    More links if you care: Google the following phrase:
    hbo guns wednesday
    =============================================

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    205

    Minor typo in their article

    Well, it is the NARO Theater in Norfolk, so it is not that big a screen.

    Excerpt from the Monday Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:


    Tall Chiseler. Well-spoken. And shot four times by a psychotic gunman at Virginia Tech.

    There. Fixed it...

  14. #14
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Let's not get off topic here....

    Whenever or wherever the group is quoted, go to the comments area and call them radicals. Add whatever derogatory you want as a prefix.
    Play their game call them what they are. Radical leftists, radical anti=gunners, radicals, radicals, radicals!
    Screw them. Change the meme.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    He became a voice for the 32 who died, and a poster boy for the push to tighten gun laws.
    More like he became a paid employee of the Brady Campaign.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    More like he became a paid employee of the Brady Campaign.
    Fixed! "More like he became a paid employee of the anti human rights Brady Campaign"

    or

    "More like he became a paid employee of the Brady Campaign, which fights to ensure useful self-defense tools are as hard to come by as possible for regular Americans."

    Let's tell it like it is. It's hard to choke down advocating measures and groups, which make it harder for regular folks to take care of themselves and that is exactly what they do.

  17. #17
    McX
    Guest
    i always thought the Brady bunch were Red Lectroids from the 8th dimension

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOv73w_3k0I

  18. #18
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Talking

    I propose the above post be taken out back and shot.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  19. #19
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I propose the above post be taken out back and shot.
    "Evil. Pure and simple from the 8th dimension!!"

    Epic lol
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Has anybody seen the Brady Campaign's latest insult to common sense?
    Scare tactics at the lowest most degrading form. Distract and cloud the question with hysteronics.
    http://banassaultclips.com/

    http://ad.thehill.com/www/images/ass...er_300x250.jpg


    Also see if some of these behavior patterns fit the Brady Bunch:

    When patients' thoughts produce anxiety or are unacceptable to them, they use repression to bar the unacceptable thoughts or impulses from consciousness.

    Rationalization occurs when individuals explain their behaviors so that they appear to be acceptable to others.
    http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv...-disorder.html


    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-13-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Has anybody seen the Brady Campaign's latest insult to common sense?
    Scare tactics at the lowest most degrading form. Distract and cloud the question with hysteronics.
    http://banassaultclips.com/
    Not only that, but they give absolutely no basis for limiting "clips" to only 10 rounds. All of the examples that they give are incidents with 30+ round magazines. At best, the evidence they provide would support a limit of 30 rounds, not 10.

    Granted, I don't own any handguns that routinely hold more than 10 rounds, but I do quite enjoy using my 75-round drum magazine on my AK.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    Not only that, but they give absolutely no basis for limiting "clips" to only 10 rounds. All of the examples that they give are incidents with 30+ round magazines. At best, the evidence they provide would support a limit of 30 rounds, not 10.
    I believe only only 6 states and D.C. limit the capacity of magazines. State Regulations exist in California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.

    Don't want the crime rates of those places!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I believe only only 6 states and D.C. limit the capacity of magazines. State Regulations exist in California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.

    Don't want the crime rates of those places!
    Ohio has a limit of 30 rounds for magazines, before the magazine is treated in the same way a Class III weapon item is by state law and thus needs a special permit for use and possession in certain cases.

    ORC 2923.11 Weapons control definitions.

    As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:

    (A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

    (B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.

    (2) When determining whether a firearm is capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant, the trier of fact may rely upon circumstantial evidence, including, but not limited to, the representations and actions of the individual exercising control over the firearm.

    (C) “Handgun” means any of the following:

    (1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

    (2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.

    (D) “Semi-automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a single cartridge and automatically chamber a succeeding cartridge ready to fire, with a single function of the trigger.

    (E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 04-13-2011 at 03:30 PM.

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Ohio has a limit of 30 rounds for magazines, before the magazine is treated in the same way a Class III weapon item is by state law and thus needs a special permit for use and possession in certain cases.

    ORC 2923.11 Weapons control definitions.

    As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:
    --snip--

    (E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
    It was a 31 round limit, but ORC 2923.11 was apparently repealed.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2323.10,+2323.11
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-13-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Has anybody seen the Brady Campaign's latest insult to common sense?
    Scare tactics at the lowest most degrading form. Distract and cloud the question with hysteronics.
    http://banassaultclips.com/

    http://ad.thehill.com/www/images/ass...er_300x250.jpg
    "They make everyone a Target."

    Well, then let's go shopping ... at Target!



    Aw, isn't it cute to be a Target?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •