• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Brady Campaign is a radical splinter group!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
In another thread I commented how it was typical for someone in the Brady Campaign to be interviewed any time some major firearm event made the news, but other groups with larger and more right wing membership are rarely heard from. A poster here recently asked about some official counts of membership for the various pro freedom groups.

Well, I did a little checking, and it comes out approximately like this:

NRA: 4 million plus

CCRKBA: 650,000

Second Amendment Foundation: 350,000

GOA: 300,000+

Now for the Anti Freedom Group:

Brady Campaign: 50,500 (In one document they stated their 2004 membership was "about a half million")

For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there. The Media needs to keep this group going so they will have a willing shill to carry their anti-2nd Amendment bigotry to the masses. It would be great to see a debate on Fox News asking all these organizations their own take on why they fill the niches they do. If Brady and Helmke were asked to explain why they were so often blown up in the viewers' eyes as great heros of civilization, when they are really rather minor players in a radical fringe group, the answers would be very very dramatic and filled with many stories from their archives telling us how fortunate we are to have them.

TFred

In another thread I commented how it was typical for someone in the Brady Campaign to be interviewed any time some major firearm event made the news, but other groups with larger and more right wing membership are rarely heard from. A poster here recently asked about some official counts of membership for the various pro freedom groups.

Well, I did a little checking, and it comes out approximately like this:

NRA: 4 million plus

CCRKBA: 650,000

Second Amendment Foundation: 350,000

GOA: 300,000+

Now for the Anti Freedom Group:

Brady Campaign: 50,500 (In one document they stated their 2004 membership was "about a half million")

For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there. The Media needs to keep this group going so they will have a willing shill to carry their anti-2nd Amendment bigotry to the masses. It would be great to see a debate on Fox News asking all these organizations their own take on why they fill the niches they do. If Brady and Helmke were asked to explain why they were so often blown up in the viewers' eyes as great heros of civilization, when they are really rather minor players in a radical fringe group, the answers would be very very dramatic and filled with many stories from their archives telling us how fortunate we are to have them.
Thanks, I was at least one poster who was curious about these numbers.

Tell me this: How cool would it be if we could get VCDL membership higher than the Brady Bunch! And completely reachable, if you ask me!

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

For those who didn't already know, it gives us a strong indicator about how accurate all their other numbers are...

Multiply by 10, then publish!

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

For those who didn't already know, it gives us a strong indicator about how accurate all their other numbers are...

Multiply by 10, then publish!

When you think about it, 50,000 is nothing.... in a country with 310million+

Why are they making such a big push with so little members? :p

With all the anti gun people out there, you think they have more members.

Last edited:

sidestreet

Does the term...,

"House of cards" ring a bell?

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tell me this: How cool would it be if we could get VCDL membership higher than the Brady Bunch! And completely reachable, if you ask me!
TFred

I have every reason to believe that VCDL membership numbers dwarf the Brady Bunch within Virginia right now.

Does anybody have actual/confirmable number by states for them?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have every reason to believe that VCDL membership numbers dwarf the Brady Bunch within Virginia right now.

Does anybody have actual/confirmable number by states for them?

It's kind of hard to tell. Aren't the Brady's broken up into splinter cells in Va.?

USNA69

Brady Campaign Comes To The Big Screen

Well, it is the NARO Theater in Norfolk, so it is not that big a screen.

Excerpt from the Monday Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:

DOCUMENTARY ON GUN VIOLENCE TOUCHES ON TECH
Naro offers screening, Q&A with VT survivor
By Joanne Kimberlin
The Virginian-Pilot
Agree with him or not, Colin Goddard is hard to dismiss.

Tall. Chiseled. Well-spoken. And shot four times by a psychotic gunman at Virginia Tech.

Some survivors of the rampage focused on forgetting. Goddard decided to let April 16, 2007, determine his course. He became a voice for the 32 who died, and a poster boy for the push to tighten gun laws.

Read the full article here: http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIV...pageno=MzE.&entity=QXIwMzEwMw..&view=ZW50aXR5

This thought occurred to me while reading the article:
"It sure was a good thing that not one of the Virginia Tech students or faculty was armed. Somebody could have really been hurt."

wylde007

For all their bluster and BS, the Brady Bunch is nothing but a tiny and nearly irrelevant radical fringe group which would otherwise be completely ignored were it not for the Mainstream Media's desperate need to get their agenda out there.
The same could be said of the $outhern Poverty Law Center and race-baiters like Morris Dees and Mark Potok.

These worshipers of Lincoln and disciples of Goebbels are a blight on humanity and only further serve to perpetuate statist yankee lies in order to "preserve" a union which not only does not need to be preserved, but might actually fare batter if it wasn't.

All of the problems with this country can be traced back to one single man and one singular symptom - lust for power.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

DOCUMENTARY ON GUN VIOLENCE TOUCHES ON TECH --snipped--

Read the full article here: http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIV...pageno=MzE.&entity=QXIwMzEwMw..&view=ZW50aXR5

While the place and time are mentioned, the date is not. Is it by invitation only?

Best quote from the Va Pilot articles is:

"Goddard knows it’s impossible to stop all the bad guys from getting guns. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. To throw your hands up in the air and say there’s nothing we can do about it is ridiculous"

Yep, sure is ridiculous, but Goddard has repudiated any personal responsibility for his safety and would have us do likewise.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's an E-Pilot article. One would have to know the date of the article - I am guessing sometime over the weekend (Saturday, maybe?) and at the bottom it says 7 PM Wednesday.

I guess that's this Wednesday, and a visit to http://www.narocinema.com/ confirms.

From a good friend who apparently want to see if I can really cave in my skull from headbanging.

Oil up the keyboard keys and get ready to send in those responses. No fair writing them ahead of time and just waiting till the credits roll to hit the "SEND" key.

stay safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj: hbo gun special coming wednesday

FYI -
NPR had Barbara Kopple on yesterday, talking about GUN FIGHT, a special she's done on guns. From the interview, seems that although she has some pro-rights people on, she's convinced by the antis. The show itself, of course, will show one way or the other.
This HBO "documentary" premeires Wednesday at 9pm Eastern; it will also air on Saturday and on April 21, 25 and 29.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/11/3542856/hbo-visits-local-er-in-look-at.html#ixzz1JDnC7fSU

Sounds like it'll be worth watching and responding to -- we'll at least need to be able to respond intelligently to the issues they'll raise. Some links are below.

=============================================
HBO main link to this has trailer and synopsis, probably more. See it at:
< http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/index.html#/documentaries/gun-fight >
Commentary and background:
< http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/11/3542856/hbo-visits-local-er-in-look-at.html >
More links if you care: Google the following phrase:
hbo guns wednesday
=============================================

johnfenter

Minor typo in their article

Tall Chiseler. Well-spoken. And shot four times by a psychotic gunman at Virginia Tech.

There. Fixed it...

riverrat10k

Let's not get off topic here....

Whenever or wherever the group is quoted, go to the comments area and call them radicals. Add whatever derogatory you want as a prefix.
Play their game call them what they are. Radical leftists, radical anti=gunners, radicals, radicals, radicals!
Screw them. Change the meme.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
More like he became a paid employee of the Brady Campaign.

Fixed! "More like he became a paid employee of the anti human rights Brady Campaign"

or

"More like he became a paid employee of the Brady Campaign, which fights to ensure useful self-defense tools are as hard to come by as possible for regular Americans."

Let's tell it like it is. It's hard to choke down advocating measures and groups, which make it harder for regular folks to take care of themselves and that is exactly what they do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Has anybody seen the Brady Campaign's latest insult to common sense?
Scare tactics at the lowest most degrading form. Distract and cloud the question with hysteronics.
http://banassaultclips.com/

http://ad.thehill.com/www/images/assaultclip_banner_300x250.jpg

Also see if some of these behavior patterns fit the Brady Bunch:

When patients' thoughts produce anxiety or are unacceptable to them, they use repression to bar the unacceptable thoughts or impulses from consciousness.

Rationalization occurs when individuals explain their behaviors so that they appear to be acceptable to others.
http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Histrionic-personality-disorder.html

Last edited: