• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control laws WORK!!! Here is more proof

xmanhockey7

“You hear about this sort of thing happening at American schools and you think that’s a long way away,” said Rob Kuipers, 50, a project manager. “Now it’s happened here in the Netherlands.”

This is sad (incident and quote). The really sad part is in this country, I think, is the gun control advocates actually like it when shootings occur. After Giffords and others were shot in Arizona the Brady Campaign within hours were showing Jared Laughner's face using it as a scare tactic. It seems to me if they really cared about the victims families they would be spending more time and money on helping them get through the traumatic ordeal instead of pushing gun control legislation.

kubel

the "big machine gun" i wonder if they identified it yet. probably was an ak or ar or something similar... i doubt he was carrying a ma deuce.

Guaranteed it's a semi-auto black rifle of some sort. They should just step it up to calling it a fully automatic intercontinental ballistic missile while they are at it. Anytime the media reports a "machine gun", "assault rifle", "automatic", "AK47" or "glock", I'm highly skeptical and will assume it's a Ruger 10/22 until I hear otherwise.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Guaranteed it's a semi-auto black rifle of some sort. They should just step it up to calling it a fully automatic intercontinental ballistic missile while they are at it. Anytime the media reports a "machine gun", "assault rifle", "automatic", "AK47" or "glock", I'm highly skeptical and will assume it's a Ruger 10/22 until I hear otherwise.

Bingo! ... but not a Ruger 10/22. The person used a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 w/ 25-round detachable box magazine, a .45-caliber Colt pistol, and a .44-caliber Taurus revolver. The Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 is a .22 LR variation of the S&Wn M&P15. The person also apparently wore some sort of body armor.
------------------------------
Here is newspaper account with this information. I can read Dutch, but you may want to use google translate or other machine translation service.

http://www.rtl.nl/(/actueel/rtlnieu...nland/geen-volautomatisch-wapen-in-alphen.xml

About the SW M&P 15-22:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Bingo! ... but not a Ruger 10/22. The person used a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 w/ 25-round detachable box magazine, a .45-caliber Colt pistol, and a .44-caliber Taurus revolver. The Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 is a .22 LR variation of the S&Wn M&P15. The person also apparently wore some sort of body armor.
------------------------------
Here is newspaper account with this information. I can read Dutch, but you may want to use google translate or other machine translation service.

http://www.rtl.nl/(/actueel/rtlnieuws/binnenland/)/components/actueel/rtlnieuws/2011/04_april/13/binnenland/geen-volautomatisch-wapen-in-alphen.xml

About the SW M&P 15-22:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image
Tried to translate, Google Translate said no way Jose.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
So, it wasn't a "big bad machine gun" after all. Just a .22 caliber plinker. Oh no!! They're gonna be after my .22 next!! And it looks nothing like an assault rifle, but it has a magazine capacity over 10 rounds!!! Tubular. :)

Here is my translation... not exact but probably adequate. "Babelfish" was not too easy to understand:

NO FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPON USED IN ALPHEN AAN RIJN

On Saturday in Alphen aan den Rijn, 24-year-old Tristan Van der Vlis used a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun. This is according to the Dutch Police Agency (OM).

Bullet proof vest
The semi-automatic weapon that Van der Vlis used, a Smith & Wesson M & P15-22 is capable of firing 25 rounds in five seconds. Research by RTL Nieuws showed that he bought the weapon for 695 euros from his shooting club, VDW in Nieuwkoop. It is also clear that Van der Vlis wore a bulletproof vest.

Third weapon
The investigation into a third weapon is still ongoing. It is now known that the rifle used was neither an automatic nor a semi-auto converted to an automatic firearm. "This is proven by information from the scene and confirmed upon further examination by the Dutch Forensic Institute. A number of victims were shot with the semi-automatic rifle and others with the handgun."

Special team
A special team of the National Crime Squad will look into the psychology of the perpetrator. The team members were previously involved in the investigation of Karst T., the person responsible for the attack on the Queen that took place in Apeldoorn in 2009. The Police Authorities state that it is important to understand how from birth someone could do this.

Footage
The research team is now viewing footage from many surveillance cameras. They are also still interviewing witnesses in order to be able to accurately reconstruct the massacre.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Here is my translation... not exact but probably adequate. "Babelfish" was not too easy to understand:

NO FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPON USED IN ALPHEN AAN RIJN

On Saturday in Alphen aan den Rijn, 24-year-old Tristan Van der Vlis used a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun. This is according to the Dutch Police Agency (OM).

Bullet proof vest
The semi-automatic weapon that Van der Vlis used, a Smith & Wesson M & P15-22 is capable of firing 25 rounds in five seconds. Research by RTL Nieuws showed that he bought the weapon for 695 euros from his shooting club, VDW in Nieuwkoop. It is also clear that Van der Vlis wore a bulletproof vest.

Third weapon
The investigation into a third weapon is still ongoing. It is now known that the rifle used was neither an automatic nor a semi-auto converted to an automatic firearm. "This is proven by information from the scene and confirmed upon further examination by the Dutch Forensic Institute. A number of victims were shot with the semi-automatic rifle and others with the handgun."

Special team
A special team of the National Crime Squad will look into the psychology of the perpetrator. The team members were previously involved in the investigation of Karst T., the person responsible for the attack on the Queen that took place in Apeldoorn in 2009. The Police Authorities state that it is important to understand how from birth someone could do this.

Footage
The research team is now viewing footage from many surveillance cameras. They are also still interviewing witnesses in order to be able to accurately reconstruct the massacre.
Yeah, but are the Dutch anti-gun types gonna be calling for a ban on .22 caliber "assault weapons" now? You know Sarah Brady would. :)