• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Puyallup in Violation

jt59

Solution in the works

I recieved the following response to my email sent to Tom Marks the Puyallup Parks Director.

When any of you folks meet with the Mayor, you may want to craft your message as one of support to the good work and effort of her Parks Director and ask when we can expect to see the ordinance change hit the Council desk for adoption.

Dear john,

The following is a summary of a conversation with our office that occurred on 04/20/2011. Caller: john thomas.....Responder: tom mark

Topic: Ordinance: 9.20.50 Parks Conversation Notes:

Dear Mr. Thomas, Thank you for your inquiry regarding firearms in City Parks and I am pleased to hear that you and your family use our wonderful park system.

The City recognizes your right to openly carry firearms within the City and its Parks.

It is my understanding that the Puyallup Police Department has not nor would they arrest a person simply because they were openingly and peacefully carrying a firearm in a City Park.

We have removed the word firearms from our parks rules signs and I am working with the City's Legal Department to draft an ordinanace that will harmonize PMC 9.20.050 with state law and the right for persons to openly carry firearms.

Thank you again for your interest and feel free to contact me with any further questions or comments. My phone number is 253-841-5516.

Sincerely, Thomas Mark,

Parks And Recreation Director

....Carry on!

Last edited:

jt59

taking suggestions

If any of you would like to channel some suggestions or have a good example of a "parks" code that we could forward, it seems that they are listening. My feedback comment to Tom, was regarding the often cited limits on shooting or fireing in a park being illegal with no exception clause to self defense of self or others....which also has the real potential of sending a message to the local thuggary if they read the sign and would be a real step change from the "serial" misinformation GoGo refers that we see or is missed in these ordinance revisions...

Here is Mr. Marks response and offer to accept comment....I had asked him to notify me of progress (as in when drafts are being prepared, sent to someone or other for review, etc.)

"Yes I will keep you informed on the progress of the ordinance revision. I am also going to forward your comments to the legal department for their consideration. I am working with Steve Kirkelie, Senior Assistant Attorney on this and he mentioned to me that you should feel free to contact him if you wish at 435-3620. Once again thank you for the information".

So, the good news is that we have an open dialogue going, progress may be made, and it will likely take 3-6 months as it did in Pierce County Parks process.

You may also contact him directly @ : tommark@ci.puyallup.wa.us

no ranting at him please...he appears to be onside here to facilitate change.

jt59

I'm heading to FW at 10am Wednesday to meet whomever is there. I'm bringing my laptop. I hae a 20min video (JUST found it!) from when Ani and I went to the Puyallup City Hall in February to discuss their codes with them. It's not overly informative but it'll give some insight into how they are viewing things. It's a big file, 1 Gig. I don't know how to shrink it or anything or I'd have it on photobucket for others to see how it went.

I'll have my laptop for the rest of the trips this week. JT / Nick, do you have time to meet up, even if just for 20min between now and Monday to go over this by chance? Let me know.

Either Thursday or Friday after 12:00, Saturday I plan on the Gun show, but around 12:00 or so...

jbone

I'm heading to FW at 10am Wednesday to meet whomever is there.
I hope you won't be disappointed with “whomever”
I sorry Sir everyone is in conference until end of business hours. Sir, if you speak Spanish I can have you meet with our grounds keeper, if you like. :lol:

Bobarino

I've posted this in previous threads about Puyallup's ordinance but in case you didn't catch it, the city was made aware of their illegal ordinance in June of 2004. They basically poo-poo'ed me and laughed at me and never took any action. bottom of page 116 into 117. http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/files/library/6d9caef8a5f06d92.pdf It might be a good idea to print it off and show them that they have been ignoring it for the last 7 years.

jbone

I've posted this in previous threads about Puyallup's ordinance but in case you didn't catch it, the city was made aware of their illegal ordinance in June of 2004. They basically poo-poo'ed me and laughed at me and never took any action. bottom of page 116 into 117. http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/files/library/6d9caef8a5f06d92.pdf It might be a good idea to print it off and show them that they have been ignoring it for the last 7 years.

I think you should re-introduce yourself at the next public meeting. Re-kindle the flame under thier behinds and get it on the record again;that being thier disobeience to state law.

amlevin

It was probably easy for them to "poo-poo" at the time. Since then, the "big dog" Seattle, had their park ordnance/rule struck down, the AG has issued an opinion, and the SC has ruled not once, but twice, affirming more 2A rights.

Doubt they'd "poo-poo" much today. They probably are hoping that this whole question will go away.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'm heading to FW at 10am Wednesday to meet whomever is there. I'm bringing my laptop. I hae a 20min video (JUST found it!) from when Ani and I went to the Puyallup City Hall in February to discuss their codes with them. It's not overly informative but it'll give some insight into how they are viewing things. It's a big file, 1 Gig. I don't know how to shrink it or anything or I'd have it on photobucket for others to see how it went.

I'll have my laptop for the rest of the trips this week. JT / Nick, do you have time to meet up, even if just for 20min between now and Monday to go over this by chance? Let me know.

I do in the evening tonight or tomorrow night. Call or txt me.

jarhead1911A

I've been working directly with Puyallup on this. They are aware, but said it's "not the right time". They'll be more prone to listen now I think.

After Arizona, they're gun shy and reflect "This isn't the right time to change our gun legislation"

I'll be there

Good luck with Puyallup they seem to think that OC is illegal there and that they get to make there own rules... btw Goose i thought u were leaving?