• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adventures in culinary arts for the rest of us

Nevada carrier

So, In trying to eat healthy and also eat great food on a budget, I tuned my own home into a fine dining restaurant. Today's culinary experience included a 6 oz grilled choice fillet mignon with asparagus spears and garlic toast.

Now I know what you're thinking, this is easy. One thing that sets a fine cut of meat cooked at home apart from one you get in a fine dining establishment is the details. One classic accompaniment with a great fillet would be a great Bordelaise.

First, what is a Bordelaise? simply, it's a red wine & shallot reduction sauce; it is not a gravy. Now, this recipe may not be a true Bordelaise, but it has the essential flavors needed to serve as one.

what you need;

medium sauce pan
medium fine mesh strainer
gravy boat (optional, makes serving easier)
four shallot onions
2 cups veil stock. (get from a butcher shop)
one cup red wine (not cooking wine, use something you would drink, but don't spend more than $10)
one tsp butter
Pinch of salt

In the sauce pan, caramelize the shallots along with a tsp of butter and the pinch of salt.
Once shallots are golden brown and translucent, add one cup red wine and reduce until thick.
Add 2 cups veil stock and 2 tblsp watter. bring to a boil and reduce until 50% has evaporated
Strain the liquid into your gravy boat or dish and serve over your nicely cooked beef.

Adding this sauce to a great choice or prime fillet of beef tenderloin will turn it from great to epic win! This is a good foundation to experiment with if you want to add your own personal touch. I like to reduce the wine with a sprig of tarragon before adding the stock, but what you do is entirely up to you!

Last edited: