• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back up guns?

jeeper1

The last Charter Arms revolver about 3 or 4 years ago I bought (the undercover southpaw) had sharp edges and wasn't reliable. I don't know if it was just that model but the cylinder didn't swing out enough to use a speed loader.

DevinWKuska

The last Charter Arms revolver about 3 or 4 years ago I bought (the undercover southpaw) had sharp edges and wasn't reliable. I don't know if it was just that model but the cylinder didn't swing out enough to use a speed loader.

Was it new when you purchased it? The revolver my wife purchased seemed smoothed out, maybe they fixed it after complaints? As far as the use of a speed loader... IMO once your resorting to your bug your in a last ditch type scenario. To me anyways reloading my BUG shouldnt be a concern. As once I am down to my BUG I would no longer be attempting to hold my ground, but rather using my BUG to help me flee.

Aknazer

I recently purchased a Taurus PT738 for my wife and it's pretty nice. I've been carrying it since she doesn't have her CWP, OC is illegal still in Oklahoma, and I can't CC my XDm-40 or XD9-SC (not sure if it's just my holster or simply because of how big they are combined with my current clothes and how skinny I am). My two complaints would be the low profile sights (especially the front sight as it isn't colored and can be hard to see) and that it is double action only. Those things don't bother me too much with a bug as I'm still relatively accurate with it (my accuracy with handguns in general needs to improve though) and I can get off all 6+1 shots that the gun carries fairly quickly.

Oh and when shooting it at the range I did notice that my index finger started to hurt after awhile from being banged around in the trigger guard due to the kick, but I would expect this from any gun of this size.

45acpForMe

When carrying a BUG what is most ideal from a tactical point of view? Do you carry the BUG so that you draw it with your dominant hand or non-dominant hand; concealed or openly? Why?

I OC on my right hip and I CC my BUG in my front left pocket. I figure if one of my hands is occupied (holding off an attacker or directing my child to safety) or injured I can use the other to draw "a" gun.

I used to think carrying a bug was a bit of overkill, but I have since had a change of heart.

I occasionally carry a taurus 85 ultralight in my left hand pocket in a galco pocket holster. I am right handed and open carry on the right hip, but I do practice with the weak hand and I find that when I conceal carry I am still using the taurus in my left pocket since I have come to feel comfortable with it there.

If you are carrying one gun openly I would strongly suggest carrying the bug for the weak hand. Just practice with whatever you are carrying.

+1

I used to CC my taurus PT145 in a Don Hume pocket holster in my left front pocket but now carry a Sig P220 Compact in that same pocket.

I wouldn't mind OC-ing two guns but don't want to mentally terrorize sheep. :) If the SHTF I may OC two but will definitely have a rifle/shotgun over the shoulder.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

When carrying a BUG what is most ideal from a tactical point of view? Do you carry the BUG so that you draw it with your dominant hand or non-dominant hand; concealed or openly? Why?

What about 4:00 position for your regular HG and appendix carry for the BUG?

I think the key is to carry it in the same place all the time. IMO, a HG can malfunction (gun or mag) and a BUG is like a reserve parachute. You don't want to be fishing around trying to find the handle in a high-chaos event.

Michigander

I suggest avoiding the .380 Seecamp, and for that matter any blowback .380. They simply hurt to shoot. Larry Seecamp puts band aids on his fingers to cushion them when he test fires the .380s. The .32's work well for what they are and they're manageable and accurate to 15 feet, though the trigger pull leaves something to be desired on all of them.

In .380, my suggestion is either the Kahr P380, or the Sig P238. Both have manageable recoil, and good reliability, plus the Kahr has an okay trigger pull, and the Sig's is quite good.

For 9mm, which is realistically the minimum you want, you should be looking for a gun which is plus P rated, and has the smallest dimensions possible, this way it can be both a backup, and your "I'm not carrying" gun. The Kahr PM9, and the newer less expensive version are the kings of pocket 9s. A cheaper alternative is the Kel Tec PF9. Not as nice, not full time plus P rated, the trigger pull is much worse, but the gun is still workable. These 9mm's are the bare minimum in power you should be looking for if carrying won't cause you to be fired, divorced or arrested.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I suggest avoiding the .380 Seecamp, and for that matter any blowback .380. They simply hurt to shoot. Larry Seecamp puts band aids on his fingers to cushion them when he test fires the .380s. The .32's work well for what they are and they're manageable and accurate to 15 feet, though the trigger pull leaves something to be desired on all of them.

In .380, my suggestion is either the Kahr P380, or the Sig P238. Both have manageable recoil, and good reliability, plus the Kahr has an okay trigger pull, and the Sig's is quite good.

For 9mm, which is realistically the minimum you want, you should be looking for a gun which is plus P rated, and has the smallest dimensions possible, this way it can be both a backup, and your "I'm not carrying" gun. The Kahr PM9, and the newer less expensive version are the kings of pocket 9s. A cheaper alternative is the Kel Tec PF9. Not as nice, not full time plus P rated, the trigger pull is much worse, but the gun is still workable. These 9mm's are the bare minimum in power you should be looking for if carrying won't cause you to be fired, divorced or arrested.

Yes my NAA Guardian 32acp is blowback operated and a pain to shoot. I couldn't imagine 380 (unless a very different design). The trigger pull is outrageous at 12-15lbs my oldest daughter can't even pull it AT ALL.

I second the Kahr P380 or Sig P238 as great guns. I have the Kahr and have talked to 3-4 people that have the Sig and love it. The Sig is like a mini 1911. :)

I also agree that (unless you can't for some reason) 9mm is the minimum you want (hence a recomendation for Karh PM9) and most people miss the fact that LEO use 9mm but most often are using +P rounds in it. I just read an article about testing between them and +P is a definite if you are going only with 9mm.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

What about 4:00 position for your regular HG and appendix carry for the BUG?

I think the key is to carry it in the same place all the time. IMO, a HG can malfunction (gun or mag) and a BUG is like a reserve parachute. You don't want to be fishing around trying to find the handle in a high-chaos event.

Whatever works for you is fine. I have a belly and IWB isn't that comfortable for me so I find pocket carry better.

+1 on carrying it in the same place all the time (after you figure out where you like carrying it best).

irish52084

I'm going to look at one of the charter arms revolvers and see how well they stack up to a used S&W or maybe one of the kahrs. I'm leaning toward a revolver, because I have had some less than stellar experiences with small autos and their reliability with a less than optimal grip. I will give the kahrs a thorough look and do some research on them. I've been hearing more and more positive things about them than I did several years ago.

I'm a CZ fan as well, so maybe the RAMI will be small enough for cargo pants pockets or maybe ankle carry. I have to admit the idea of ankle carry doesn't excite me, it seems to be a bit of a hassle to draw from when needed.

45acpForMe

If you are looking at revolvers you might check out the Ruger versions. Several people like them here and they are usually cheaper than S&W.

If you can try to shoot whatever revolver you are interested in before buying. A snubby can be less accurate and less fun to shoot than a full size revolver but to each his own. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with one friends snub nose but with a S&W from another friend I was fine at self defense distances.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Yes my NAA Guardian 32acp is blowback operated and a pain to shoot. I couldn't imagine 380 (unless a very different design). The trigger pull is outrageous at 12-15lbs my oldest daughter can't even pull it AT ALL.

I second the Kahr P380 or Sig P238 as great guns. I have the Kahr and have talked to 3-4 people that have the Sig and love it. The Sig is like a mini 1911. :)

I also agree that (unless you can't for some reason) 9mm is the minimum you want (hence a recomendation for Karh PM9) and most people miss the fact that LEO use 9mm but most often are using +P rounds in it. I just read an article about testing between them and +P is a definite if you are going only with 9mm.

I carry a Taurus TCP738 in an ankle holster whenever I can (work, law, etc.). It is blowback but I find it a real pleasure to shoot. My wife has a NAA .32ACP and that little gun is brutal to shoot. Painful. The trigger is super heavy and the hammer sits on a rubber bushing that surrounds the firing pin. I could see it going bang if dropped wrong and that just bothers me. In comparison, the Taurus has a smooth and accurate DA trigger with a very reasonable trigger pull weight and sits with the hammer in a half cocked condition consealed deep within the gun.

The TCP is slightly larger than most .380s but it's just as light and I have big hands so it fits better. I can even get two fingers on the grip!

I've read about .380ACP vs other rounds and while it isn't my .45 with a 230gr hollowpoint, it will be much better than being completely disarmed.

Michigander

Yes my NAA Guardian 32acp is blowback operated and a pain to shoot. I couldn't imagine 380 (unless a very different design). The trigger pull is outrageous at 12-15lbs my oldest daughter can't even pull it AT ALL..

I actually think the recoil in .32 is just fine, and much much nicer than a PPK in .380. I'd even call mine enjoyable to shoot. I've had a couple first time women shooters even fire mine and say it wasn't bad. The design in .380 is exactly the same, and this is why I don't suggest it. They beat up the web of your hand, and the muzzle flip is so bad that it makes fast follow up shots harder to do accurately, basically slowing your rate of fire down or destroying your accuracy.

Since both .32 and .380 suck, I believe it's better to take the easy one to shoot, and focus on shot placement. Which is actually easier than it sounds with the MPA and Seecamp, because they have no sights, and point shoot beautifully out to 10 or 15 feet, despite that awful trigger, at least if you practice at working it. If you go any smaller to a .22 or .25, you lose reliable penetration, and perhaps the ability to grip it sufficiently, as many state is the case with NAA minis.

45acpForMe

I actually think the recoil in .32 is just fine,.....

:eek:

While I agree, ANY gun is better than no gun, I prefer something in 45acp. :)

The NAA is great for concealment (deep cc) but it hurts to shoot. I nicknamed it the angry cricket! Other guns I blow through 50 rounds each range trip (some 100) but the NAA hurts so much that I am looking at the box hoping I made it to my goal of 25 rounds for that trip. Compared to the Kahr P380 the only category that it wins in is thinness and concealability. The Kahr is wider and bigger and has a better caliber, albeit less than preferred. I can shoot the kahr all day and not have an aching hand.

Nevada carrier

There is something to be said for using a snub nose revolver as a BUG. The reasoning is that if things are so bad that you have had to resort to a backup gun, there is a strong likelihood that you are or could be hand to hand with your assailant. If you press a semi-automatic handgun up against someone's body you may actually force the slide out of full battery and the gun wont function. This is not an issue with a revolver.

That being said, Carrying a revolver is not for me. I use a Taurus PT738 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with a spare magazine in my coin pocket.

Aknazer

I see so many people saying they pocket carry and it makes me wonder where you keep your cell phone/wallet. I always keep these items in my front pockets with a knife in the phone pocket, so there would be no way I could pocket carry unless my wife had either my phone or wallet in her purse.

Last edited:

Michigander

I see so many people saying they pocket carry and it makes me wonder where you keep your cell phone/wallet. I always keep these items in my front pockets with a knife in the phone pocket, so there would be no way I could pocket carry unless my wife had either my phone or wallet in her purse.

Umm, open carry of cell phones is 50 state legal. My phone fits next to my gun in any of my pockets. Also note that some people like to carry pocket guns behind their wallets to prevent printing. Lastly remember that you have 4-6 pockets, and only mentioned 3 items. If you have pants which can't fit these thing all at once, you probably need to go shopping.

Michigander

:eek:

While I agree, ANY gun is better than no gun, I prefer something in 45acp. :)

The NAA is great for concealment (deep cc) but it hurts to shoot. I nicknamed it the angry cricket! Other guns I blow through 50 rounds each range trip (some 100) but the NAA hurts so much that I am looking at the box hoping I made it to my goal of 25 rounds for that trip. Compared to the Kahr P380 the only category that it wins in is thinness and concealability. The Kahr is wider and bigger and has a better caliber, albeit less than preferred. I can shoot the kahr all day and not have an aching hand.

While I'd have thought that the NAA would shoot about the same as the MPA's and Seecamps, the only conclusion I can come to is that they don't. It's obvious you're no stranger to recoil, and folks that are strangers to recoil seem to be okay with my MPA. I suppose I'd really like to shoot a NAA .32 to see for myself.

By the way, I'm certainly not saying a .32 is at all good other than for deep concealment. I agree that 45 is a basic power minimum, except I'd actually say that 10mm is a more reasonable minimum.

Last edited:

j4l

What is your primary caliber? If possible, find something smaller in the same caliber.
If not,and u plan to go small. just go real small. You;d be surprised what a .25 or a .32 can do in a pinch. And you can be sure to have it in a pocket somewhere,no matter what you are wearing.