• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need answer for stupid question.

Rick H

My wife and myself lived in Michigan. She bought a Hand gun. The gun is registered in Michigan.
We moved to Florida and she wants to give me the gun because she no longer wants to hunt deer and has no use for it. Florida has NO registration law
The questions at hand is this:
Can my wife give me her hand gun after we both moved to another state and the weapon is registered in Michigan or any place else for that fact without having to go through a licensed dealer?
We now reside in Florida and have been for going on 11 years now.

OldCurlyWolf

To the best of my knowledge, in a state such as Florida, all that is necessary would be for her to give the rifle to you and say: It's yours.

You may want to check with a local FFL to make sure there are no weird Florida laws to deal with.

All of this is assuming you are both living in Florida.:lol:

Rick H

To the best of my knowledge, in a state such as Florida, all that is necessary would be for her to give the rifle to you and say: It's yours.

You may want to check with a local FFL to make sure there are no weird Florida laws to deal with.

All of this is assuming you are both living in Florida.:lol:

Thanks but the question still remain that I want to carry it in Michigan when I go visit there. Will the hand gun still be construed as her gun, because you must be the registered owner of said gun or have a Michigan license to posses another person gun there. Do you think that a purchase/gift reciept would hold up as ownership and if not what would I have to do?

NG19

You should be able to take the handgun and use it as yours even if you are visiting another state. The laws might be different but in MO if you do not have a gun and are using another persons gun, then there is no crime being committed. If stopped and asked if it is yours then you would have to state that it is not and who it belongs to. You might have to call that person and have them say that it is there's and they are letting you use it.

Badger Johnson

I asked this question and the reality is that the registration or purchase application or the person paying for the gun is really not relevant when buying the gun for a family member or even a friend.

What they don't want you to do is buy a gun for a person who is not legally allowed to have one (such as a DA crime, or felon). My girlfriend actually has purchased all my HGs (only thing she likes better than buying guns for herself is buying them for me).

So, don't sweat it - as long as she doesn't break up with you and declare the HG stolen, lol.

hermannr

In fact, as you no longer live in MI, you might check to see if your resident MI CPL is still valid at all. MI says Non-Redident permits are NOT honored.

Second, as you now live in FL, it may be time to get an FL res permit, after which time the transfer from your wife to you comes under FL law, and you could care less what MI thinks.

tittiger

OC in Missouri - shirt covering part of gun

Have there been any court rulings on how much of a holstered gun has to show for it
still to be considered OC?

Many holsters obscure the action - so what's the difference if my shirt ( I never tuck it in)
covers the action and even part of the holster?

I find this whole this whole thing infuriating in the "Land of the Free" but it must be asked.

Thanks!
Joe in Missouri

tyc

Have there been any court rulings on how much of a holstered gun has to show ... to be considered OC?

Many holsters obscure the action - so what's the difference if my shirt ( I never tuck it in)
covers the action and even part of the holster?

I find this whole this whole thing infuriating in the "Land of the Free" but it must be asked.

Thanks!
Joe in Missouri

Has there been one or more rulings regarding what constitutes Open Carry vs. concealed? I've not bothered to look that one up, yet but the odds are yes, there is what is known as "settled case law" in that regard. Use you computer and begin searching on your own. It may take you a while but odds are you may well find one or more such cases; Federal and state.

That its a holster, your shirt or for that matter, a loin cloth, either the gun is concealed or it is not and it is those with evil intentions who are running around with concealed (as opposed to Open Carry) firearms or the like that give me cause for concern. To my way of thinking, those engaged in "Open Carry" pose as much, if not a greater recognizable threat to the criminal, as an armed, uniformed cop and that suites me fine.

That you find such questions "infuriating" is understandable but consider the "spirit" of the times. People these days are indeed afraid of the criminal element. There are too many of them and when caught and convicted, they're not being punished harshly enough, time-wise and other wise.

tyc