• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Confusion in Charlotte

Dreamer

Maryland State Police offers an on-line handgun safety course free of charge and it takes about 30 minutes to complete. After you finish the course and pass the test, you can print out the certificate. I checked with the handgun permit section and the lady told me if the course was given by the state police it was certified as a valid course. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

So let me get this straight...

The MdSP has testified TWICE in the last 2 years before the MD General Assembly that they don't believe that "regular people" can be trusted to carry in MD, and ESPECIALLY people who have permits from other states. They have publically stated that it is the position of MSP that the permitting processed of EVERY OTHER STATE in the Union is so deficient, and that LEAs in EVERY OTHER STATE are so incompetent in their investigative techniques for performing background checks that there is no way they can be assured that CC permitees from other states meet "MD Standards", and that is why they are COMPLETELY against any sort of reciprocity.

But the MSP has an ON LINE "gun safety course" that people can use to obtain a FL permit?

Am I the only person who is sitting here holding my head, and screaming:

WTF, MD?

Dreamer

And to add insult to injury they include this little note of exemptions, per MD Code:

[FONT=arial,verdana,san-serif](h-1) Completion of certified firearms training course. - A person is not required to complete a certified firearms training course under subsection (h) (2) (ix) of this section and § 445 9b) (4) of this subheading if the person:
(1) has completed a certified firearms training course required under subsection (h) (2) (ix) of this section and § 445 (b) (4) of this subheading;
(2) Is a law enforcement officer of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State;
(3) Is a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Amed Forces of the United States or the National guard;
(4) Is a member of an organization that is required by federal law or regulations governing their specific business or activity to maintain handguns and applicable amunition; or
(5) Has been issued a permit to carry a handgun under § 36E of this article.
[/FONT]

And if you dig deeper into MD Code, you will find that to obtain a MD PTCH, there is NO REQUIREMENT for an educational course in the law, OR a range qualification requirement. The only real requirement in MD, is that you meet at least 2 of the 3 "WWW" qualifications--Wealthy, White, Well-connected.

MD gun policy absolutely defies rational thought...

moonie

I got lucky. Mine was free. Armed security doesn't have to take the class. It's covered in our training. :monkey

I was armed security many years ago before they had CHP in this state. What did you have to do to get your CHP since you hadn't taken the CHP class?

Carry24/7

I was armed security many years ago before they had CHP in this state. What did you have to do to get your CHP since you hadn't taken the CHP class?

The class that was taught for armed security goes more indepth then the CHP class. Armed security have to pass the state quilification with 80% or better. After the class I went to the sheriff's office and they gave me a paper my company filled out saying I was still in good standings with the company. I took that paper back and showed them my current armed security card and they did my fingerprints and I pay the money for the permit. Didn't have to pay for the class.