• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Confusion in Charlotte

CarryHard

So I need to know the exact laws on this

Why do some places seem to charge different prices for a "class"?

Is the class mandatory or can you just go to the office downtown and pay 90$ and wait?

I've been trying to find information but none of my searches on Google lead to any concrete information so if anyone has the laws they could show me I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

cricketdad

So I need to know the exact laws on this

Why do some places seem to charge different prices for a "class"?

Is the class mandatory or can you just go to the office downtown and pay 90$ and wait?

I've been trying to find information but none of my searches on Google lead to any concrete information so if anyone has the laws they could show me I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

You have to take the class, its the law. They can charge what ever they want because the fee is not set. The classes are all the same. Take the cheapest one.

WTFOVER

I only charge $50 for the class. Not looking to get rich, just recoupe some of my costs. Some people charge as high as $100-$120 a class. :eek:

Carry24/7

If your in Gaston County you have to make an appointment with the sheriff to do the finger prints and paperwork. Unless it has changed. I went thinking I'll get it all done now and got there and had to make the appointment and come back.

M

mattwestm

I was under the impression that the state requires instructors to charge a certain price for the class. I think Dreamer wanted to offer the NC CHP course for really cheap, but there was some discrepancy about cost. (Dreamer, correct me if I am mistaken).

Most of the places around here charge anywhere from $85 to $105. That's the main reason I'm getting my non-res Florida permit. It'll save me a little bit of money and it's good for 7 years instead of 5. No 8 hour class either.

Last edited:

CarryHard

I was under the impression that the state requires instructors to charge a certain price for the class. I think Dreamer wanted to offer the NC CHP course for really cheap, but there was some discrepancy about cost. (Dreamer, correct me if I am mistaken).

Most of the places around here charge anywhere from $85 to $105. That's the main reason I'm getting my non-res Florida permit. It'll save me a little bit of money and it's good for 7 years instead of 5. No 8 hour class either.

How can i get a non-res Florida permit?

WTFOVER

Nope, the instructor sets the price for what they charge for the class.

FLEMTP

Clarification neeeded

I am a recent new NC resident from Florida. I need to clarify this. There is NO SUCH THING as a florida resident or non resident CWP. there is simply a florida CWP. They dont even put your address on the permit anymore. There is nothing on the permit denoted whether or not you're a resident of Florida or not.

with that said... the process is very simple. takes no more than 90 days, and as of recently, permits are getting sent out usually within a month. I would request a signature delivery confirmation, seeing as how you're sending personal information via the US Mail. If you're going to be in florida anytime soon, you can really speed up the process by submitting your application personally to a Division of Licensing office, they do livescan prints right there..and start your application processing right there. People who have been doing that are getting their permits in about a week. Yes, a week!

Hope this helps!

Dreamer

I'm still working on getting my certifications all lined up, so I'm not yet qualified to offer such "deep discount" courses. Hopefully by the end of summer I will have everything in order, and can start offering NC CHP classes for a substantial discount to college students.

All that said, there is no statute setting price for a NC CHP course. I have seen them offered for anywhere from $50-$120. I paid about $75 for mine.

If anyone out there is considering taking a NC course, I would suggest that after you get your Certificate (but before you submit it with your CHP application packet) that you scan it to your computer, or make a BUNCH of xerox copies and file them somewhere safe. Having some sort of certificate is required for many other state's permits, and having copies of your NC certificate on-hand makes it easier. For instance, a FL, VA, or PA permit require that you send them a copy of your training certificate, and/or a copy of your home-state permit.

I made a high-res scan and about a dozen copies of my NC CHP course cert, and have them in my safe, for just this situation.

WTFOVER

I'm still working on getting my certifications all lined up, so I'm not yet qualified to offer such "deep discount" courses. Hopefully by the end of summer I will have everything in order, and can start offering NC CHP classes for a substantial discount to college students.

This is what I do. If they are a student then I offer at a discounted rate.

If anyone out there is considering taking a NC course, I would suggest that after you get your Certificate (but before you submit it with your CHP application packet) that you scan it to your computer, or make a BUNCH of xerox copies and file them somewhere safe. Having some sort of certificate is required for many other state's permits, and having copies of your NC certificate on-hand makes it easier. For instance, a FL, VA, or PA permit require that you send them a copy of your training certificate, and/or a copy of your home-state permit.

I made a high-res scan and about a dozen copies of my NC CHP course cert, and have them in my safe, for just this situation.

Not sure about how your SO does it, but here they just make a copy of the certificate and send the original back home witht the applicants. But none the less good information here.

Dreamer

Both Pitt County and Beaufort County keep your original certificate. My CHP instructor told us this, and suggested we copy or scan it before turning in the application packet.

From reading the Statute, I was under the impression that keeping the original certificate was SOP in North Carolina...

Most other states tell you to KEEP the original for your records, and send in a copy with your app--like PA, VA, WV, and even MD...

Spearhead

1) Request a a fingerprint card and application from Florida
2) Take an NRA course (I took First Steps Pistol, but any will do)
3) Get a passport photo
4) Send forms and payment to Florida

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

A military DD-214 will also do for #2. Maryland State Police offers an on-line handgun safety course free of charge and it takes about 30 minutes to complete. After you finish the course and pass the test, you can print out the certificate. I checked with the handgun permit section and the lady told me if the course was given by the state police it was certified as a valid course. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/