• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you own an AK Pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigander

There are serious ballistic concerns with chopping a rifle barrel down that far, but I'm assuming you already know that.

The only piece of advice I can give you is to learn to shoot regular handguns better. If you suck that bad, I would venture to guess that you need instruction, or even just some reading material. There is no reason at all, none, why you can't be an expert with both your AK(s) and typical handguns. Consider all the other skills you have. Life is all about gaining them. It would be a sincere waste if you didn't take the time to learn both systems.

j4l

M-16/AR-15 is a laboratory weapon. I've owned, built, and repaired hundreds. Over the course of almost 2 decades. I clearly wouldn't know anything...

Guess how many AKs I've had to fix? Zero.

Experience with one thing does not make you qualified to talk about another. This kinda crap is specifically what I wanted to avoid in this thread, but it seems diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain will ensue no matter what.

I had a PLR-16, too. The only rational .223 pistol (IMNSHO), no stupid buffer tube. 5.56 NATO should be referred to as "pink tip."

Sure, an AR is good if you babysit it. Constant cleaning and maintenance. But is that what someone in the battlefield should be doing? Gas directly into the bolt carrier... A little bit of sand and it's all over, no, you'd never find sand or dirt in a place where people are shooting at each other... Aluminum? Really? The notion that wars take place in carefully regulated hermetically sealed environments is kinda silly: that is the only place an AR-15 performs. I sold mine. KTHNKSBAI. I <3 Saiga .308.

Spot-on!
And, to add to it, it's not just a matter of clean or not-that thing can be clean as a whistle-but breathe on it? Double-feed and/or jam next time you pull the trigger.
It goes to it's method of operation/design and tolerances far too high for a combat rifle in field conditions. Great rifle for match-shooting w/ the right ammo, and properly set-up-on a firing range. Can be accurate as hell when you need it to.
Combat though?
Ya, you may have gotten one to go through a whole mag or two in action without malfunctioning on a really really lucky day, but...even when you get it to actually go BANG, in action, you have to contend with some 50lb. Hadji or Skinny soaking up half a mag worth of ammo before going down..no thnx. Just like the .45 vs 9 issue, Ill take the big stick behind door #2 plz.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
There are serious ballistic concerns with chopping a rifle barrel down that far, but I'm assuming you already know that.

Mine is made from an AMD-65 kit. Barrel is only a couple inches shy. Can't make a legal non-SBR rifle out of it anyway. Not without permanently attaching that ridiculous muzzle break.... Which I'm not going to use, and definitely won't be painting orange....

The only piece of advice I can give you is to learn to shoot regular handguns better.

Yeah, I know... I just don't like em. I like things with locking breaches and a long sight radius. I just don't wanna take such a huge step down in every category. Handguns are a serious handicap. Such wimpy ammo. As I mentioned before, I do have a 1911...

I guess that pretty much covers what I opened the thread for. There really isn't anything bad a person can say about the AK Pistol other than how uncool it is to carry such a big, ugly, mean gun. All the cons seem to be speculated difficulty of use (which my experience has disproven) or elitist barking about how it'll ruin everything for the rest of us... Same argument was made about OC of any gun 8 years ago...

Politically and Socially, Handguns will be the controversy until something more controversial takes their place. The reality is actually dull, but the perception of the arrogant and the stupid is where things get interesting. Once someone takes the next step, the 'normal' guns aren't on the chopping block anymore. How close to the edge do you really want to stay? If that's as far as you go, then it's only one step from being stripped away, again.

Michigander

Mine is made from an AMD-65 kit. Barrel is only a couple inches shy. Can't make a legal non-SBR rifle out of it anyway. Not without permanently attaching that ridiculous muzzle break.... Which I'm not going to use, and definitely won't be painting orange....

Yeah, I know... I just don't like em. I like things with locking breaches and a long sight radius. I just don't wanna take such a huge step down in every category. Handguns are a serious handicap. Such wimpy ammo. As I mentioned before, I do have a 1911...

I guess that pretty much covers what I opened the thread for. There really isn't anything bad a person can say about the AK Pistol other than how uncool it is to carry such a big, ugly, mean gun. All the cons seem to be speculated difficulty of use (which my experience has disproven) .

Don't be so sure that your AK pistol is going to be a real powerhouse, unless you have some real wildcat load. Even the HP Russian ammo coming out of my SKS with 20 inch barrel is outperformed by max power 10mm from a Glock 20. At least up close, as proven to me by my wet phone book tests. I'd say as transferable power goes and where defeating armor/cover isn't a concern, with off the shelf ammo, I'd be about as confident in x39 from your gun as I'd be with 9mm plus P, 40 short and weak or .45 ACP. You might just have a little monster though if you make some wicked hand loads.

In terms of the majority of commercial ammo, x39 is not fast enough to get that real aggressive temporary cavity expansion like a .223, and it's not big enough for serious hydrostatic shock. It's an medium range intermediate caliber rifle round, and it shows shortcomings as a handgun round, because up close it is prone to going in one side and out the other, taking all that velocity and power with it. Which brings up the other concern, over penetration. Rifle bullets in some regions will go through multiple houses, and actually that goes for fast FMJ handgun bullets too. I wouldn't worry about some over penetration, but severe over penetration is something to try to avoid. This again is something which specialty ammo can address.

It is not an issue of speculation that an AK pistol is harder to use one handed, and more of a retention issue in close quarters. I's a fact, and it requires a different approach for defensive use.

One last note, up close, if your defensive strategy revolves heavily around sight radius, you are handicapping yourself right off the bat. From 6-10 or 15 feet, maybe more, you should be ignoring your sights for combat type shooting. For 0-6 feet, you should be hip firing. As handling goes, the 1911 is a world class gun for this type of instinctive distance, which make up the majority of defensive shooting. But even a pocket gun with no sights works well in this range too. In defensive shootings, sights are almost never used. Even in military CQB I've heard from few soldiers who have told me they remember seeing their sights with any up close shooting. Maybe I'm wrong, but taking your statements at face value, it sounds to me like you need new practice regimens.

Last edited:

Lord_Kalen

I guess that pretty much covers what I opened the thread for. There really isn't anything bad a person can say about the AK Pistol other than how uncool it is to carry such a big, ugly, mean gun. All the cons seem to be speculated difficulty of use (which my experience has disproven) or elitist barking about how it'll ruin everything for the rest of us... Same argument was made about OC of any gun 8 years ago...

Politically and Socially, Handguns will be the controversy until something more controversial takes their place. The reality is actually dull, but the perception of the arrogant and the stupid is where things get interesting. Once someone takes the next step, the 'normal' guns aren't on the chopping block anymore. How close to the edge do you really want to stay? If that's as far as you go, then it's only one step from being stripped away, again.

You could get a C-96 Mauser ... they actually carry very well ( lighter then it looks) and have a sight radius of about 11 inches , the breech locks , And you can even get a stock for them without the NFA BS.......... also they are elegant ,easy on the eye .... far more so in my opinion then most modern guns ... and much more so then an AK , the cartidge is notable weaker but its a gun much less likely to put you in a situation were your dealing with a threat that wears body armor .

They can clear a holster reasonably fast , point well , and give the user general impression that there actually designed to be a belt carried defensive sidearm ..

an AK or AR pistol is abit much even for my socially maladjusted self . though a PLR-16 with a 10 round mag and flapped leather holster I'd be interested in .... too bad its mainly plastic ... with a cocking handle poorly placed , and lacks an external hammer ... I would be interested in seeing what holster you've came up for the AK

j4l

"I would be interested in seeing what holster you've came up for the AK "

a homeade lash-up consisting of duct-tape, and paracord...

lol. Couldnt resist,Ixtow.;)

Mauser...not exactly common any more..interesting,and different idea though.,

slowfiveoh

Proof someone has not used modern variants (A2 forward) of the M16 to include the M4, is found when one denigrates them as "ineffective combat rifles".

Not only has the rifle saved my life more times than I can count, but it has done so reliably, and without fail, in hostile combat situations.

Those who denigrate the M16 are likely the same type of dirtbag soldier I saw picking his 16 up by the sling and scooping sand into an open mag well.

The M16 is in many ways superior to the AK47. Just as the AK is superior in close urban fighting.

However, the M16 is capable of effective fire from commonly encountered standoff ranges. Most notably, IED ambushes, or perimeter engagements that are common in urban environments.

If target presentation is brief, the ability to hit it the first time is paramount. The AK is not optimal for this.

If you have had 16's fail on you in your service role, then frankly you probably and most likely treated your weapon like crap, and fail to maintain it.

Some people who have been out for 20 years, and were still using A1s while they were in, may have carried on a completely false stereotype into modern society, and modern warfare.

j4l

"Proof someone has not used modern variants (A2 forward) of the M16 to include the M4, is found when one denigrates them as "ineffective combat rifles".

Here we go with the absolutes again.. Really? Care to re-consider that comment?

"Gannett’s Army Times magazine also obtained a copy of Project Manager Soldier’s Weapons Assessment Team’s July 31, 2003, report:

“The executive summary said that M16s and M4s “functioned reliably” in the combat zone as long as “soldiers conducted daily operator maintenance and applied a light coat of lubricant.” “

Soldiers had their own comments, however, which were also included in the report and relayed in the magazine article:

3rd ID soldier: “I know it fires very well and accurate [when] clean. But sometimes it needs to fire dirty well too.”

25th Infantry Division soldier: “The M4 Weapon in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan was quick to malfunction when a little sand got in the weapon. Trying to keep it clean, sand free was impossible while on patrols or firefights.”

82nd Airborne Division soldier: “The M4 is overall an excellent weapon, however the flaw of its sensitivity to dirt and powder residue needs to be corrected. True to fact, cleaning will help. Daily assigned tasks, and nonregular hours in tactical situations do not always warrant the necessary time required for effective cleaning.”

75th Ranger Regiment member, SOCOM: “Even with the dust cover closed and magazine in the well, sand gets all inside; on and around the bolt. It still fires, but after a while the sand works its way all through the gun and jams start.”

The 507th Maintenance Company, ambushed outside Nasariyah in 2003 during the opening days of the ground invasion of Iraq, might concur with all of the above. The post-incident report released by the US Army had this to say:

“Dusty, desert conditions do require vigilance in weapons maintenance… However, it is imperative to remember that at the time of the attack, the 507th had spent more than two days on the move, with little rest and time to conduct vehicle repair and recovery operations.”

Even without those extenuating circumstances, however, there have been problems. A December 2006 survey, conducted on behalf of the Army by CNA Corp., conducted over 2,600 interviews with Soldiers returning from combat duty. The M4 received a number of strong requests from M-16 users, who liked its smaller profile. Among M4 users, however, 19% of said they experienced stoppages in combat – and almost 20% of those said they were “unable to engage the target with that weapon during a significant portion of or the entire firefight after performing immediate or remedial action to clear the stoppage.” The report adds that “Those who attached accessories to their weapon were more likely to experience stoppages, regardless of how the accessories were attached [including via official means like rail mounts].” Since “accessories” can include items like night sights, flashlights, etc., their use is not expected to go away any time soon.

US Army Ranger Capt. Nate Self, whose M4 jammed into uselessness during a 2002 firefight after their MH-47 Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan’s Shah-i-kot Mountains, offers another case. He won a Silver Star that day – with another soldier’s gun – and his comments in the Army Times article appear to agree that there is a problem with the current M4 design and specifications.
ORD_M4_Carbine_SOPMOD.jpg
M4 SOPMOD
(click to view full)

SOCOM appears to agree as well. While US Special Operations Command is moving ahead on their own SCAR rifle program with FN Herstal, they’re also significant users of the M4 Carbine’s SOPMOD version. By the time Capt. Self was fighting of al-Qaeda/Taliban enemies in Afghanistan with a broken weapon, Dellta Force had already turned to Heckler & Koch for a fix that would preserve the M4 but remove its problems. One of which is heat build-up and gas from its operating mechanism that dries out some lubricants, and helps open the way for sand damage.

In response, H&K replaced Colt’s “gas-tube” system with a short-stroke piston system that eliminates carbon blow-back into the chamber, and also reduces the heat problem created by the super-hot gases used to cycle the M4. Other changes were made to the magazine, barrel, etc. The final product was an M4 with a new upper receiver and magazine, plus H&K’s 4-rail system of standard “Picatinny Rails” on the top, bottom, and both sides for easy addition of anything a Special Operator might require.
ORD_HK416_Labeled.jpg
HK416, labeled
(click to view full)

In exhaustive tests with the help of Delta Force, the upgraded weapon was subjected to mud and dust without maintenance, and fired day after day. Despite this treatment, the rifle showed problems in only 1 of 15,000 rounds – fully 3 times the reliability shown by the M4 in US Army studies. The H&K 416 was declared ready in 2004.

A rifle with everything they loved about the M4, and the fire-no-matter-what toughness of the Kalashnikov, was exactly what the Deltas ordered. SOCOM bought the first 500 weapons right off the assembly line, and its units have been using the weapon in combat ever since. Other Western Special Forces units who liked the M4 Carbine have also purchased HK416s, though H&K declines to name specific countries. US Major Chaz Bowser, who has played a leading role in SOSOCM’s SCAR rifle design program:"

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

slowfiveoh

"Proof someone has not used modern variants (A2 forward) of the M16 to include the M4, is found when one denigrates them as "ineffective combat rifles".

Here we go with the absolutes again.. Really? Care to re-consider that comment?

You have no idea how deep you are digging your own grave with the following commentary. :)

"Gannett’s Army Times magazine also obtained a copy of Project Manager Soldier’s Weapons Assessment Team’s July 31, 2003, report:

“The executive summary said that M16s and M4s “functioned reliably” in the combat zone as long as “soldiers conducted daily operator maintenance and applied a light coat of lubricant.” “

Yup.

Soldiers had their own comments, however, which were also included in the report and relayed in the magazine article:

3rd ID soldier: “I know it fires very well and accurate [when] clean. But sometimes it needs to fire dirty well too.”

Then he would be upset if he had a weapon that always fired but was useless on the perimeter.

Oh by the way, and this is an ironclad fact scrub, I went in with 3rd ID, March 20th, 2003. ;)

25th Infantry Division soldier: “The M4 Weapon in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan was quick to malfunction when a little sand got in the weapon. Trying to keep it clean, sand free was impossible while on patrols or firefights.”

Again you miss the point of my commentary entirely.

The AK has its strengths as does the M16.

For the ability to intervene at any acceptable or normalized range, particularly in Iraq where counter-insurgency operations occur from rooftops at distances of 200m-300m, the AR is flat out the superior choice.

Within neighborhood patrols the AK is great so long as you are within ~100m. It offers fantastic penetration and acceptable accuracy.

I have also however seen "pepper marks" from the well known close up effects of the 5.56 as well. It is my opinion and experience that the 7.62x39 is a superior round up close, but is severely overstated as such in comparison to the 5.56.

The only weak areas the 5.56 really has is in the area of intervening with vehicles. Not much of a car stopper.

82nd Airborne Division soldier: “The M4 is overall an excellent weapon, however the flaw of its sensitivity to dirt and powder residue needs to be corrected. True to fact, cleaning will help. Daily assigned tasks, and nonregular hours in tactical situations do not always warrant the necessary time required for effective cleaning.”

We can keep this up for weeks pal.

As many citations you have for Army mags denigrating the M16 in pursuit of more defense funding, I have soldiers who served with me in the same operation who swear by the rifle.

75th Ranger Regiment member, SOCOM: “Even with the dust cover closed and magazine in the well, sand gets all inside; on and around the bolt. It still fires, but after a while the sand works its way all through the gun and jams start.”

Cleaning takes less than 5 minutes, and no modern conflict has lasted without the ability to do this minor task at some point.

Small price to pay for the type of effects seen in Fallujah by Marines wielding M16A2's, of which, they were investigated for possible "assassinations" because of the sheer quantity of headshots.

When asked why there were so many headshots, the reply was that the insurgents often presented only their heads at their firing positions, popping them up and down to engage approaching Marine patrols.

This is a situation where the AK would have been, by comparison, a catastrophe.

The 507th Maintenance Company, ambushed outside Nasariyah in 2003 during the opening days of the ground invasion of Iraq, might concur with all of the above. The post-incident report released by the US Army had this to say:

“Dusty, desert conditions do require vigilance in weapons maintenance… However, it is imperative to remember that at the time of the attack, the 507th had spent more than two days on the move, with little rest and time to conduct vehicle repair and recovery operations.”

Oh boy here is where your **** hits the fan.

My unit was directly involved with the securing, and extraction of the 507th out of An-Nasiriyah.

We pulled up to the outside berm on the west end of the city in preparation to assist with extraction when two Apache gunships flew over us and silenced the madness. We moved in to help extract the convoy, and our wrecker was escorted to their chewed ass convoy.

When we got there **** was bad, but nothing was so glaringly memorable as seeing half the units racks full of M16's, with the armorers lock still on it.

We later learned that they weren't "expecting any resistance" (Wtf did they think it was a trip to Disneyland?), and the unit had not maintained their arms since leaving Bliss.

That was what really happened, and before you even try to bump your gums otherwise, I was in fact, F***ing there.

Even without those extenuating circumstances, however, there have been problems. A December 2006 survey, conducted on behalf of the Army by CNA Corp., conducted over 2,600 interviews with Soldiers returning from combat duty. The M4 received a number of strong requests from M-16 users, who liked its smaller profile. Among M4 users, however, 19% of said they experienced stoppages in combat – and almost 20% of those said they were “unable to engage the target with that weapon during a significant portion of or the entire firefight after performing immediate or remedial action to clear the stoppage.” The report adds that “Those who attached accessories to their weapon were more likely to experience stoppages, regardless of how the accessories were attached [including via official means like rail mounts].” Since “accessories” can include items like night sights, flashlights, etc., their use is not expected to go away any time soon.

US Army Ranger Capt. Nate Self, whose M4 jammed into uselessness during a 2002 firefight after their MH-47 Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan’s Shah-i-kot Mountains, offers another case. He won a Silver Star that day – with another soldier’s gun – and his comments in the Army Times article appear to agree that there is a problem with the current M4 design and specifications.
ORD_M4_Carbine_SOPMOD.jpg
M4 SOPMOD
(click to view full)

This assault on the direct impingement system is hilarious.

SOCOM appears to agree as well. While US Special Operations Command is moving ahead on their own SCAR rifle program with FN Herstal, they’re also significant users of the M4 Carbine’s SOPMOD version. By the time Capt. Self was fighting of al-Qaeda/Taliban enemies in Afghanistan with a broken weapon, Dellta Force had already turned to Heckler & Koch for a fix that would preserve the M4 but remove its problems. One of which is heat build-up and gas from its operating mechanism that dries out some lubricants, and helps open the way for sand damage.

In response, H&K replaced Colt’s “gas-tube” system with a short-stroke piston system that eliminates carbon blow-back into the chamber, and also reduces the heat problem created by the super-hot gases used to cycle the M4. Other changes were made to the magazine, barrel, etc. The final product was an M4 with a new upper receiver and magazine, plus H&K’s 4-rail system of standard “Picatinny Rails” on the top, bottom, and both sides for easy addition of anything a Special Operator might require.
ORD_HK416_Labeled.jpg
HK416, labeled
(click to view full)

In exhaustive tests with the help of Delta Force, the upgraded weapon was subjected to mud and dust without maintenance, and fired day after day. Despite this treatment, the rifle showed problems in only 1 of 15,000 rounds – fully 3 times the reliability shown by the M4 in US Army studies. The H&K 416 was declared ready in 2004.

A rifle with everything they loved about the M4, and the fire-no-matter-what toughness of the Kalashnikov, was exactly what the Deltas ordered. SOCOM bought the first 500 weapons right off the assembly line, and its units have been using the weapon in combat ever since. Other Western Special Forces units who liked the M4 Carbine have also purchased HK416s, though H&K declines to name specific countries. US Major Chaz Bowser, who has played a leading role in SOSOCM’s SCAR rifle design program:"

"I've only been in the military for 21 years, all of it in the light infantry, so I might not have enough experience for some of our more eloquent arm chair quarterbacks on here... on that note I do not remember at any time an M16 and later the M4 jamming or melting during my career...I have trained in the Arctic, Central American jungles, the desert and of course woodland and urban. I am currently working on my 3rd tour here in lovely Iraq......

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2010/07/theres-no-reliability-problem-with-the-m4m16.html#ixzz1NqvqcXdu
Kit Up!

"You didn’t mention the critical advantages of the M-16 and M-4 – they are lightweight and extremeley accurate. I fought in the invasion of Iraq with the Third Battallion, Fifth Marines, and I can tell you firsthand that after we crossed the Euphrates, we were ambushed nearly every day, often by superior numbers. The main reason we consistenltly stomped our attackers was simple – we hit what we were aiming at and they didn’t. The forces opposing us (Republican Guard, Saddam Fedayeen, and foreign mercerenaries and terrorists) were generally brave, tactically sound, and well armed, they just couldn’t deliver killing shots even in a perfectly executed ambush. Part of the difference in ability was training, but part of it was the inherent inaccuracy of the AK-47. Even the Russians switched over to a round sized similar to .223 long ago with the AK-74. .223 weapons, and especially the M-16 and M-4, are simply much easier to fire accurately in the heat of combat due to their light weight, low recoil, and ease of use. Tweaking the round and rifle itself may be a good idea, I’ll leave that to the experts, but I highly doubt that any move away from .223 would be advisable."
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/how-reliable-is-the-m-16-rifle/

"The M4 increased in usage during the Iraq/Afghanistan war since it is easier and more effectively utilized in close quarters combat, like clearing houses, due to its more compact size. There are more reliable weapons available, like the HK416, but is it really needed? Both the M16 and M4 are accurate past 500 yards, which is uncommon to have targets past this range in current wars. A major contributor to the weapons accuracy is the use of the 5.56mm tumbler rounds.
To be honest, the majority of weapons failure I saw in theatre were due to neglect. The weapon does require constant cleaning, and if it is not maintained it will jam. As the M16/M4 are used in such large numbers, its faults are more evident than with other weapons. Anyone can review alternatives in limited ranges and numbers, but if you replaced all the M16/M4s, what would their replacements fault be? There is no perfect weapon, and the primary problems of the M16/M4 are easily solved with proper maintenance.
The article cited described the weapons failing due to overheating, which will happen to any weapon after prolonged use (expecially if fired on burst or automatic). The use of gas-piston operated weapons help this particular issue. Extensive testing needs to be done as more parts means more parts that can fail."

I can do this for days, and days.

In fact, it is odd to me that you specify the very engagements I was involved in as some sort of basis for your argument, when in reality, I was there, and my 16 saved my ass and that of my buddies far more than anyone ever reported a problem.

In fact, I was Battalion Trainer on the MK19 Mod3, and Battery Trainer on the M16/M4, and M203 systems.

Almost every failure i have ever seen was by some dirtbag soldier who might even be good behind the trigger and fresh under fire, but has the hygiene habits of a dung beetle.

Last edited:

j4l

You have no idea how deep you are digging your own grave with the following commentary. :)

Yup.

Then he would be upset if he had a weapon that always fired but was useless on the perimeter.

Oh by the way, and this is an ironclad fact scrub, I went in with 3rd ID, March 20th, 2003. ;)

Again you miss the point of my commentary entirely.

The AK has its strengths as does the M16.

For the ability to intervene at any acceptable or normalized range, particularly in Iraq where counter-insurgency operations occur from rooftops at distances of 200m-300m, the AR is flat out the superior choice.

Within neighborhood patrols the AK is great so long as you are within ~100m. It offers fantastic penetration and acceptable accuracy.

I have also however seen "pepper marks" from the well known close up effects of the 5.56 as well. It is my opinion and experience that the 7.62x39 is a superior round up close, but is severely overstated as such in comparison to the 5.56.

The only weak areas the 5.56 really has is in the area of intervening with vehicles. Not much of a car stopper.

We can keep this up for weeks pal.

As many citations you have for Army mags denigrating the M16 in pursuit of more defense funding, I have soldiers who served with me in the same operation who swear by the rifle.

Cleaning takes less than 5 minutes, and no modern conflict has lasted without the ability to do this minor task at some point.

Small price to pay for the type of effects seen in Fallujah by Marines wielding M16A2's, of which, they were investigated for possible "assassinations" because of the sheer quantity of headshots.

When asked why there were so many headshots, the reply was that the insurgents often presented only their heads at their firing positions, popping them up and down to engage approaching Marine patrols.

This is a situation where the AK would have been, by comparison, a catastrophe.

Oh boy here is where your **** hits the fan.

My unit was directly involved with the securing, and extraction of the 507th out of An-Nasiriyah.

We pulled up to the outside berm on the west end of the city in preparation to assist with extraction when two Apache gunships flew over us and silenced the madness. We moved in to help extract the convoy, and our wrecker was escorted to their chewed ass convoy.

When we got there **** was bad, but nothing was so glaringly memorable as seeing half the units racks full of M16's, with the armorers lock still on it.

We later learned that they weren't "expecting any resistance" (Wtf did they think it was a trip to Disneyland?), and the unit had not maintained their arms since leaving Bliss.

That was what really happened, and before you even try to bump your gums otherwise, I was in fact, F***ing there.

This assault on the direct impingement system is hilarious.

ORD_HK416_Labeled.jpg
HK416, labeled
(click to view full)

"I've only been in the military for 21 years, all of it in the light infantry, so I might not have enough experience for some of our more eloquent arm chair quarterbacks on here... on that note I do not remember at any time an M16 and later the M4 jamming or melting during my career...I have trained in the Arctic, Central American jungles, the desert and of course woodland and urban. I am currently working on my 3rd tour here in lovely Iraq......

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2010/07/theres-no-reliability-problem-with-the-m4m16.html#ixzz1NqvqcXdu
Kit Up!

"You didn’t mention the critical advantages of the M-16 and M-4 – they are lightweight and extremeley accurate. I fought in the invasion of Iraq with the Third Battallion, Fifth Marines, and I can tell you firsthand that after we crossed the Euphrates, we were ambushed nearly every day, often by superior numbers. The main reason we consistenltly stomped our attackers was simple – we hit what we were aiming at and they didn’t. The forces opposing us (Republican Guard, Saddam Fedayeen, and foreign mercerenaries and terrorists) were generally brave, tactically sound, and well armed, they just couldn’t deliver killing shots even in a perfectly executed ambush. Part of the difference in ability was training, but part of it was the inherent inaccuracy of the AK-47. Even the Russians switched over to a round sized similar to .223 long ago with the AK-74. .223 weapons, and especially the M-16 and M-4, are simply much easier to fire accurately in the heat of combat due to their light weight, low recoil, and ease of use. Tweaking the round and rifle itself may be a good idea, I’ll leave that to the experts, but I highly doubt that any move away from .223 would be advisable."
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/how-reliable-is-the-m-16-rifle/

"The M4 increased in usage during the Iraq/Afghanistan war since it is easier and more effectively utilized in close quarters combat, like clearing houses, due to its more compact size. There are more reliable weapons available, like the HK416, but is it really needed? Both the M16 and M4 are accurate past 500 yards, which is uncommon to have targets past this range in current wars. A major contributor to the weapons accuracy is the use of the 5.56mm tumbler rounds.
To be honest, the majority of weapons failure I saw in theatre were due to neglect. The weapon does require constant cleaning, and if it is not maintained it will jam. As the M16/M4 are used in such large numbers, its faults are more evident than with other weapons. Anyone can review alternatives in limited ranges and numbers, but if you replaced all the M16/M4s, what would their replacements fault be? There is no perfect weapon, and the primary problems of the M16/M4 are easily solved with proper maintenance.
The article cited described the weapons failing due to overheating, which will happen to any weapon after prolonged use (expecially if fired on burst or automatic). The use of gas-piston operated weapons help this particular issue. Extensive testing needs to be done as more parts means more parts that can fail."

I can do this for days, and days.

In fact, it is odd to me that you specify the very engagements I was involved in as some sort of basis for your argument, when in reality, I was there, and my 16 saved my ass and that of my buddies far more than anyone ever reported a problem.

In fact, I was Battalion Trainer on the MK19 Mod3, and Battery Trainer on the M16/M4, and M203 systems.

Almost every failure i have ever seen was by some dirtbag soldier who might even be good behind the trigger and fresh under fire, but has the hygiene habits of a dung beetle.
[/QUOTE]

Im sure your own experiences (as well as an unusual luxury of plenty of time to polish the rifle during a firefight) have been good one for you. And in your particular application. But Iraq is not the only environment or situation in which troops are stuck using the Jam-a-Matic.
There are plenty of other troops with plenty of their own experiences with that system who would beg to differ.
Especially the -now deceased-folks at Wanat, for one.
The Dept. of the Army, the Dept. of Defense, and the U.S. Army Combat Studies Institute beg to differ...

Page 168 and onwards, if reading is too much of a task.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipubs/Wanat.pdf

slowfiveoh

Im sure your own experiences (as well as an unusual luxury of plenty of time to polish the rifle during a firefight) have been good one for you. And in your particular application. But Iraq is not the only environment or situation in which troops are stuck using the Jam-a-Matic.
There are plenty of other troops with plenty of their own experiences with that system who would beg to differ.
Especially the -now deceased-folks at Wanat, for one.
The Dept. of the Army, the Dept. of Defense, and the U.S. Army Combat Studies Institute beg to differ...

Page 168 and onwards, if reading is too much of a task.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipubs/Wanat.pdf

Lessons to be learned here:

"During the engagement, some of the platoon’s weapons failed. A superficial examination of these failures may lead to the conclusion that the root causes were either inherent to the weapons’ design or lay in poor maintenance by the operators. However, a more systematic analysis of weapons usage shows that almost all of the weapons that failed did so after firing a high volume of rounds in a short period. While about a fifth of the weapons failed sometime during the action, all but one of these cases occurred after the weapons were fired at a high rate for a number of minutes. The one exception was a SAW from the engineer squad that initially failed to fire but after a routine barrel change was back in action. Several other SAWs also jammed but their operators were able to put them back into working order. There is no conclusive evidence that the weapons’ failures led to any of the casualties at COP Kahler."

You need to read that repeatedly until you understand the difference between an Infantrymans rifle, and a suppressive fire weapon.

Every infantryman wants the golden goose to lay its golden eggs for them.

They want a rifle that has little recoil so that consistent target acquisition is possible.
Oh but they want it in the biggest round possible.
They want the platform to be accurate.
Oh but they want the firearm to be floppy and overgassed so it is assured to work in muddy environments.

Every soldier ever has wanted the ability to suppress, yet still be light enough in composition to easily carry, along with smaller portions of ammunition for mobility.

The M16 can do that in spades with concentrated and coordinated fire teams doing what they are supposed to be doing, and what they have trained to do.

There is no contingency plan for yanking the bang button til the barrel turns red on an individual weapon platform not meant for a suppression role. That is not in the configuration of the M16. That is why the 249 and 240B exist.

Yes you can get some form of suppression out of the AK47, but then again, you won't have the ability to hit a head sized silhouette through windows @ over 200m with the alacrity and ease that the M16 does.

Technology is getting better and we may in fact be on the verge of the next generation firearm, which at one point was to be the XM8. There is a whole field of contenders now.

What is disgusting is the lack of appreciation for where the M16 has taken us through all of our modern conflicts, and in comparison to the AK, has proven itself superior in several ways.

The truth about the reliability of this platform is nowhere near egregious as you and other storytellers want to make it out to be. The firearm is reliable as hell, provided you do for 5 minutes of your day, what you were repeatedly trained to do in the first place.

Clean your weapon and stop being a dirty d***.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
We're losing track of the real point of this thread... An ar-15 full of dirt, being made of aluminum, rapidly looses it's precision, accuracy, and reliability. Why not just sacrifice a little of that from the get go, and maintain that remaining degree of accuracy? the AK-47 persists for a reason. Those who ahve to PAY FOR the maintenance of their own firearms know that you buy and AK and that's pretty much it. An AR-15, if it ever sees combat, will end up costing far more than it's original price in upkeep, and possibly your life. It is a novel concept, but genius still lies in simplicity. A Swiss Pocket Watch does not belong on a battlefield. Period. I've dealt with hundreds of both, and the user's thereof. When my life is on the line, AK. Many a soldier has had that final thought while fighting with a jammed and gauled aluminum receiver...

That said... This is about AK Pistols. Compared and contrasted with more conventional handguns, the only positives I can identify relate to style and social popularity. Uncool is my middle name, so I care not for that matter.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

We're losing track of the real point of this thread... An ar-15 full of dirt, being made of aluminum, rapidly looses it's precision, accuracy, and reliability.

An AK47, being loosely manufactured by design, is inherently less accurate than some of the most floppiest AR's with thousands of rounds through them.

Why not just sacrifice a little of that from the get go, and maintain that remaining degree of accuracy?

Because, as you should know from dealing with so many of them, loose tolerances and barrel flex, coupled with a round that has the ballistics of a pig, leads to missed shots @ ~100m and beyond.

Particularly under duress.

the AK-47 persists for a reason.

It was mass produced by the Soviet bloc and its cheap manufacturing process and design handed off to other impoverished communist countries as a matter of affordability.

It never had anything to do with having a single bit of merit as an accurate platform.

The Soviet concept of war differed from the American in that they simply wanted to put an assault rifle in the hands of conscripts that wasn't necessarily accurate, but could be utilized with a minimal amount of training, to do nothing more than put vast quantities of lead downrange without so much precision as other professional armies.

It literally is a gun designed for idiots. This concept is continually vomited up by every AK proponent that has ever been conversed with regarding the topic.

The truth of the matter is that the AR is a superior design in almost every way.

-It is accurate to ranges the AK is flat out ineffective at.
-The hand controls and operation of the weapons functions are far superior for battlefield use.
-The platforms scalability is extremely superior to the AK.

Those who ahve to PAY FOR the maintenance of their own firearms know that you buy and AK and that's pretty much it.

So they're "dirty d**ks" and "sofa warriors" who revel in their laziness?

By the way, I have seen MANY AK's jam.

An AR-15, if it ever sees combat, will end up costing far more than it's original price in upkeep, and possibly your life. It is a novel concept, but genius still lies in simplicity.

An AK-47, if ever seen in combat, will end-up costing far more than it's cheap price tag when pitted against a squad with AR15's. It will likely end up costing your life.

Did you ever wonder why the Russians took a dump on the AK47 and switched to the 74?

There's a lot to be figured out there.

A Swiss Pocket Watch does not belong on a battlefield. Period.

A "Swiss Pocketwatch"? Are you kidding?

Here is a fact for you:

In Fallujah, were both sides to be armed with AK47's, you would be, as a point of fact, taking away the advantage held by Marines in this conflict in the superior accuracy and scalability of the M16 platform.

You would be forcing them to close to deadlier ranges just to make their firearm effective.

The "Swiss Pocketwatch" you are referring to was the very reason that the Marines were so combat effective in Fallujah.

When is the last time you heard of a unit being investigated for an overwhelming abundance of headshots by the common rifleman in modern combat?

Let me make that answer simple for you.

Never before.

Having an AK in this fight would have been a terrible disadvantage for 1MEF.

~56" of ballistic drop and poor lateral ballistics out of the floppy-barreled AK47 would have made shot placement tragically poor, and cost Marines their lives, were they forced to use them.

This is a point in modern combat that highlights the effectiveness of the Stoner platform, that no dyed in the wool AK humper can seem to concede.

I've dealt with hundreds of both, and the user's thereof. When my life is on the line, AK.

Don't let me catch you @ 200m+. I will hit you.

Your shot placement even with a nice Trijicon on that AK? Not nearly as dependable.

Don't miss.

Many a soldier has had that final thought while fighting with a jammed and gauled aluminum receiver...

Many a Fedayeen/Republican Guard/Al-Queda/Taliban has had their final thoughts whilst fighting retarded muzzle climb, barrel flex, fumbling with ineffecient controls/hinged mag-well, or their AK's true worst enemy.

Terrible inaccuracy.

Who do you think has had a higher deathtoll in modern combat ixtow?

Our trained rifleman of varying branches are superior warfighters at any effective combat range because of the M16.

The loss of life has become so prevalent to our enemy, because of our weapons platforms, that they choose to engage us in guerrilla warfare or with IED's to eliminate direct confrontation.

Our ability to engage perimeter threats or ambushes would fall significantly if we did not have the M16, but instead, the AK47.

When accuracy matters.
When hitting a briefly presented target @ 150+ meters the size of a cantaloupe is the difference between life and death.
When fidgeting, tremoring, shaking, or other signs of combat duress augment any built in inaccuracies in a weapon platform.

In any of these situations, you need an M16.

If you are going to stick only the weapon up over the edge of a windowsill and spray it.
If you want to bury your weapons so the local UN patrols don't find it in your house, only to dig it up later.
If you make a habit of setting the rear sight aperture to "300" because you think it "turns up the weapons power level".
If you want to die a horrible death when faced with an M16 wielding rifleman.
If your key point of focus is whether or not the firearm will shoot when you are praising Allah and pulling the bang lever so that he may hear your cries.

In any of these situations, you need an AK-47.

That said... This is about AK Pistols. Compared and contrasted with more conventional handguns, the only positives I can identify relate to style and social popularity. Uncool is my middle name, so I care not for that matter.

I believe the AK and AR pistols to be superior to other handguns as well.

The round choice, and nominal distance used in self defense engagements makes them worthwhile. Particularly, for home invasion stuff.

I think choice of ammo is important here, solely so you can get the optimal kinetic transfer to drop the threat to your life.

Those polymers should actually work pretty well, in my opinion.

j4l

An AK47, being loosely manufactured by design, is inherently less accurate than some of the most floppiest AR's with thousands of rounds through them.

Because, as you should know from dealing with so many of them, loose tolerances and barrel flex, coupled with a round that has the ballistics of a pig, leads to missed shots @ ~100m and beyond.

Particularly under duress.

It was mass produced by the Soviet bloc and its cheap manufacturing process and design handed off to other impoverished communist countries as a matter of affordability.

It never had anything to do with having a single bit of merit as an accurate platform.

The Soviet concept of war differed from the American in that they simply wanted to put an assault rifle in the hands of conscripts that wasn't necessarily accurate, but could be utilized with a minimal amount of training, to do nothing more than put vast quantities of lead downrange without so much precision as other professional armies.

It literally is a gun designed for idiots. This concept is continually vomited up by every AK proponent that has ever been conversed with regarding the topic.

The truth of the matter is that the AR is a superior design in almost every way.

-It is accurate to ranges the AK is flat out ineffective at.
-The hand controls and operation of the weapons functions are far superior for battlefield use.
-The platforms scalability is extremely superior to the AK.

So they're "dirty d**ks" and "sofa warriors" who revel in their laziness?

By the way, I have seen MANY AK's jam.

An AK-47, if ever seen in combat, will end-up costing far more than it's cheap price tag when pitted against a squad with AR15's. It will likely end up costing your life.

Did you ever wonder why the Russians took a dump on the AK47 and switched to the 74?

There's a lot to be figured out there.

A "Swiss Pocketwatch"? Are you kidding?

Here is a fact for you:

In Fallujah, were both sides to be armed with AK47's, you would be, as a point of fact, taking away the advantage held by Marines in this conflict in the superior accuracy and scalability of the M16 platform.

You would be forcing them to close to deadlier ranges just to make their firearm effective.

The "Swiss Pocketwatch" you are referring to was the very reason that the Marines were so combat effective in Fallujah.

When is the last time you heard of a unit being investigated for an overwhelming abundance of headshots by the common rifleman in modern combat?

Let me make that answer simple for you.

Never before.

Having an AK in this fight would have been a terrible disadvantage for 1MEF.

~56" of ballistic drop and poor lateral ballistics out of the floppy-barreled AK47 would have made shot placement tragically poor, and cost Marines their lives, were they forced to use them.

This is a point in modern combat that highlights the effectiveness of the Stoner platform, that no dyed in the wool AK humper can seem to concede.

Don't let me catch you @ 200m+. I will hit you.

Your shot placement even with a nice Trijicon on that AK? Not nearly as dependable.

Don't miss.

Many a Fedayeen/Republican Guard/Al-Queda/Taliban has had their final thoughts whilst fighting retarded muzzle climb, barrel flex, fumbling with ineffecient controls/hinged mag-well, or their AK's true worst enemy.

Terrible inaccuracy.

Who do you think has had a higher deathtoll in modern combat ixtow?

Our trained rifleman of varying branches are superior warfighters at any effective combat range because of the M16.

The loss of life has become so prevalent to our enemy, because of our weapons platforms, that they choose to engage us in guerrilla warfare or with IED's to eliminate direct confrontation.

Our ability to engage perimeter threats or ambushes would fall significantly if we did not have the M16, but instead, the AK47.

When accuracy matters.
When hitting a briefly presented target @ 150+ meters the size of a cantaloupe is the difference between life and death.
When fidgeting, tremoring, shaking, or other signs of combat duress augment any built in inaccuracies in a weapon platform.

In any of these situations, you need an M16.

If you are going to stick only the weapon up over the edge of a windowsill and spray it.
If you want to bury your weapons so the local UN patrols don't find it in your house, only to dig it up later.
If you make a habit of setting the rear sight aperture to "300" because you think it "turns up the weapons power level".
If you want to die a horrible death when faced with an M16 wielding rifleman.
If your key point of focus is whether or not the firearm will shoot when you are praising Allah and pulling the bang lever so that he may hear your cries.

In any of these situations, you need an AK-47.

I believe the AK and AR pistols to be superior to other handguns as well.

The round choice, and nominal distance used in self defense engagements makes them worthwhile. Particularly, for home invasion stuff.

I think choice of ammo is important here, solely so you can get the optimal kinetic transfer to drop the threat to your life.

Those polymers should actually work pretty well, in my opinion.

Absolutes again. Always. - THIS always works better than that. THIS is always more effective than that.. You truly need to get over yourself.

"

Particularly under duress."

-^Maybe in your hands..

"Many a Fedayeen/Republican Guard/Al-Queda/Taliban has had their final thoughts whilst fighting retarded muzzle climb, barrel flex, fumbling with ineffecient controls/hinged mag-well, or their AK's true worst enemy.

Terrible inaccuracy. "

^^and this from the fobbit that claims to have "been there". Err, sport. Last anyone bothered to check, the Hadjis could give a rat's backside about accuracy. They lean more towards the spray and pray line of thought-and , if one of their rounds happens to hit you-its "God's Will" if it misses, its "God's Will" .

Puuhleeez- trying to compare the combat effectiveness of them vs. us based on what rifle they use? In their case, it doesnt even factor in. They'd conduct their ops the same with with the M4, the 416, the AK or a Musket, if it could fire fast enough..

Just...quit before you sink even more.

j4l

AAAAND...

"Did you ever wonder why the Russians took a dump on the AK47 and switched to the 74?

There's a lot to be figured out there. "

ummm. genius, they changed the calibre/cartridge...the basic platform remained the same minus some issues with stocks/flash-hider..

:banghead:
:banghead:

"

The truth of the matter is that the AR is a superior design in almost every way"

umm.. they issued you an AR, no? what's that tell us about the AR platform?
But ,really- let's be real. How much more sophisticated, and less "idiot" is the AR vs. the AK?
Let's see... they both have... a charging handle, a fire-select/safety lever, are magazine-fed...and have a magazine release...hmm exactly where is the manual of arms for the effective operation of the AR series any less idiotic than the AK? (other than cleaning/assembly- something your going to HAVE to do every time you so much as look at your AR)

Status
Not open for further replies.