• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My son was stopped for speeding by NHP while open carrying

28kfps

My son was stopped for speeding by NHP while open carrying also had an AR-14 and ammo in the back seat of his truck. He was on his way to go shooting.
As the NHP walked up to the window, my son kept his hands on the steering wheel. Told why he was stopped and asked for driver license, registration, and insurance. My son tells him he has that stuff however, he is armed. The NHP gets a better look to see and says ok, is it loaded? My son says you do not want to pull the trigger. NHP says again ok. My son never removed his hands off the steering wheel tells the NHP you have my permission to disarm me. NHP said ok and did. Asked is the AR loaded? No, none in the chamber and it was obvious no mag inserted. The NHP step back some removed the chambered round from the hand gun and removed the magazine set it all up on the hood of the truck. He came back said you can take your hands off the wheel to show me your license. Assuming he ran the license the NHP officer came back to my son, handed him back the license and paper work. The NHP officer picked up the firearm re-chambered it and put the mag back in and set it back on the hood. He told my son he needed to slow down and asked him if he would wait until he left before retrieving his firearm off the hood of the truck.
My son said he was speeding thought for sure he was going to get a hefty ticket can only assume receiving the slow down warning instead of a ticket came from my sons up front communication.

Nevada carrier

Sounds to me like a case of, "I'm gonna be cool with you because you were cool with me." While you son shouldn't have to be disarmed to interact with an officer, he volunteered and I have to respect his choice to do so.

I had a similar interaction on US95 with a Boulder City officer. I informed him that I was armed, but I had all my paper work on the dash by the time he was at my window so I didn't need to go near my firearm to get it with the officer near. He gave me a ticket, but considerably reduced. I was going fast enough to be a serious offense but ended up with a non-moving violation that only cost $65. The officer told me it was because of professional conduct towards him that I received such consideration.

jfrey123

I've had good interactions with NHP as well, although I never offered to disarm and the officer never made an issue of it.

I'm glad it worked out for your son. I'm glad he was well aware of the rules and had his rifle empty.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I announced my concealed firearm to NHP, (never again) I had it pointed at me (swept) as well as the Starbucks drivethru at 6:30 am it was a basket case. I had hopes of them training after that, however the blue card issue and some other things that were the same came up in the lobby the other day.

The one difference that does exist is they have yet to charge me with a crime. so it could be possible that the intimidation is ment to replace probable cause. just a thought

zodtgr8

similar situation happened to me while driving up to CCSP to volunteer at AHC 2010. Though my guy wasn't nice enough to re-chamber my firearm afterwards.

NHP guy sees my OC'd firearm and asked me to slowly remove my weapon so he can run the serial. I comply and inform him that there is one in the chamber.
NHP guy does his thing, gives me my speeding ticket and hands over my firearm, asking me to not load it until he leaves.

stuckinchico

Snip....

NHP guy sees my OC'd firearm and asked me to slowly remove my weapon so he can run the serial. I comply and inform him that there is one in the chamber.
NHP guy does his thing, gives me my speeding ticket and hands over my firearm, asking me to not load it until he leaves.

Wooooh whats going on here. He cant run serial numbers without warrant. at least probable cause. Huge 4th amendment violation

Vegassteve

similar situation happened to me while driving up to CCSP to volunteer at AHC 2010. Though my guy wasn't nice enough to re-chamber my firearm afterwards.

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER reach for your firearm if a cop is around. EVEN if they ask you to. MAKE them get it. All it takes is ONE rogue cop to say you were going for it and then your dead. Eric Scott learned that the hard way.

You got VERY LUCKY.
Post this ******* badge number as well for us.

28kfps

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER reach for your firearm if a cop is around. EVEN if they ask you to. MAKE them get it. All it takes is ONE rogue cop to say you were going for it and then your dead. Eric Scott learned that the hard way.

You got VERY LUCKY.
Post this ******* badge number as well for us.

I am with you after Eric Scott’s issue. My hands are going to be as far away from my firearm as I can get them if confronted by a demanding LEO. I may look like a 240 pound big gut old man doing some goofy Richard Simmons reach for the sky jump dance exercise however it will be obvious to the LEO and anyone else I am not going for my gun.