Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Illinois Supreme Court allows nonresidents to transport guns

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    38

    Illinois Supreme Court allows nonresidents to transport guns

    SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

    The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

    Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

    Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

    The case is People v. Holmes.

    Online: http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...nt_supreme.asp

    http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.a... Supreme Court

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    We are already protected under federal law: 18 USCS 926A.

    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-firearms.html

    I had ISP threaten to put me in jail when I got stopped by them since I did not have a FOID card. I told them I was protected under the federal transportation law and that it was impossible for me to get a FOID card since I was not a IL resident. It even says on their web page you don't need one if you aren't an IL resident.

    http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  3. #3
    McX
    Guest
    after reading the title of the thread, the only thing that came to mind was a quote from ol Dirty Harry i heard once in a move of his: That's mighty white of them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    I wonder if that will have any bearing of bill HB0265 which is pending in the Illinois Asembly.

    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...84&LegID=54935

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    38
    I thought that this line was interesting. Does it mean i can have a loaded gun in the arm rest when i pass through?


    It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    There's at least one other thread going about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachanga22
    Does it mean i can have a loaded gun in the arm rest when i pass through?
    NO!
    It means that if you're passing through the state, the Federal law still protects you whether or not you have a priviledge permit from your home state.

    If you do have a PP, you can go about IL like any other resident who has a FOID card.
    That is, you can carry it unloaded & encased, but you're not restricted to driving through - you can stop somewhere, see a movie, etc.

    Note that the Supremes in this case agreed that it had not been proven by prosecutors that the IN resident had a loaded gun. (The police claim he did.)
    Also that they made note of the errors of the lower courts in not following the law w/ regards to 'foreign' carry permits.

    I think the ILSC missed a golden opportunity here.
    They should have said that the 2A applies to every citizen, in every state & territory, so any restriction on that right was invalid. (Or at least that the gov't must prove an overwhelming interest in prohibiting a particular person from keeping or bearing arms.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Close Call

    The ILSC saved this guy's bacon with some creative (although justified) statutory analysis. Please don't say that FOPA did it/would have done it because he was not carrying in compliance with FOPA. I know people like to wave FOPA like a talisman. Anytime they cross a state boundary, an invisible FOPA suit shields them from local and state law enforcement. Not so, as the unfortunate Mr. Revell found out in New Joisy. Otherwise, he would be spending his $3,000,000 award. If you're from Wisconsin, you do not have a FOID nor a state license (I believe "resident" is specified in the statute). Whatcha gonna do then, Montgomery?

    As to our Dirty Harry fan, think before you say stupid things. You embarrass yourself and everybody associated with OCDO. Your quote had absolutely nothing to do with the case so why that would be the first thing you think of is probably better not being specified. Perhaps you'd care to do a little editing?

  8. #8
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks for posting that. I have had my "legal read" for the day and do actually follow the logic used by the ILSC. They were almost saying that the lower courts were pretty stupid (or political) in their treatment of the defendant.

    Despite my Utah resident "permission slip", I will be going through IL on my next visit to WI with my unloaded firearms in a locked case just to be double sure.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  9. #9
    Regular Member skorittnig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Neenah, WI
    Posts
    89
    why would anyone go to Illinois anyway??? If I had to, I wouldn't spend a dime.
    skorittnig

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    why would anyone go to Illinois anyway??? If I had to, I wouldn't spend a dime.
    To get to Vermont??
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

    The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

    "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    The Same Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    why would anyone go to Illinois anyway??? If I had to, I wouldn't spend a dime.
    Chicago became such a large and important city. Many lines of transport traverse or meet in the state. If you want to drive from Indiana to Wisconsin, there is no practical alternative to a dash across Chicagoland.

  12. #12
    Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mauston wi
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    Chicago became such a large and important city. Many lines of transport traverse or meet in the state. If you want to drive from Indiana to Wisconsin, there is no practical alternative to a dash across Chicagoland.
    there is alway the scenic route north thru michigan and take the ferry over which is a nice ride
    or
    the really scenic route north thru mich cross the mackinaw bridge across the UP and south thru wi which has awsome veiws
    SCOTT

    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

    "When seconds count police are minutes away"

    "Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

    http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    True, but

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    there is alway the scenic route north thru michigan and take the ferry over which is a nice ride
    or
    the really scenic route north thru mich cross the mackinaw bridge across the UP and south thru wi which has awsome veiws
    I don't consider those routes practical. Fun yes, practical no. By the way the bridge, the straits, the island - just about everything but the city is MackinaC (pronounced -aW).

  14. #14
    Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mauston wi
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    I don't consider those routes practical. Fun yes, practical no. By the way the bridge, the straits, the island - just about everything but the city is MackinaC (pronounced -aW).
    i was making fun of all the tourist i came across while i lived in michigan who pronounced it mackinac
    SCOTT

    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

    "When seconds count police are minutes away"

    "Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

    http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

  15. #15
    McX
    Guest
    Oliver, put your clothes back on, your scaring the fish.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    No because

    Quote Originally Posted by pachanga22 View Post
    I thought that this line was interesting. Does it mean i can have a loaded gun in the arm rest when i pass through?


    It also ruled the armrest served as a case.
    according to the decision this would be "unlawful use of a weapon" as opposed to "aggravated unlawful use of a weapon" Because the weapon was in a case (the armrest), the first count of AUUW fell. Because the Indiana permit was a substitute for the FOID, the second count of AUUW fell. The state's backup was that even if AUUW (loaded AND encased AND immediately accesible OR no FOID) wasn't sustainable, UUW was because it required less to prove (just loaded AND uncased OR immediately accessible is sufficient). However the court said because the weapon was found to be not uncased and neither the loaded condition of the weapon nor the accessibility issue were legally determined (because the way the two counts were brought together, the jury could have convicted just on the FOID issue - which was thrown out) there was no basis for conviction on a UUW charge. If the gun was loaded or accessible, Mr. Holmes lucked out by the overreaching and incompetence of the prosecution. I wouldn't rely on them being stupid twice.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Yep, I've heard the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    there is alway the scenic route north thru michigan and take the ferry over which is a nice ride
    or
    the really scenic route north thru mich cross the mackinaw bridge across the UP and south thru wi which has awsome veiws
    Even though I live far from Michigan, I learned proper pronunciation on my first visit. Even for salt-sainty-marie. What I don't understand is why people who live in neighboring states get it wrong. People in Evansville, IN don't say lewis-ville, KY (except as a jab) but I can understand a British tourist doing so. Of course Brits like to visit ball-tee-more, mary-land where the inhabitants say ballmer, merlin. People in Beloit, WI don't say "I'm going to Rockford, Illi-noise" or do they? Sometimes you do need a cheat sheet. New-Ark, DE isn't that far from New-urk, NJ. Somehow I doubt that any out-of-towner will think to say Kay-row, IL instead of Kigh-row. Ever been to oh-axe-uh-ka, Mexico? Take your niece on a nice trip to Nice? Sloob-ice, Poland? War-chester, MA? Buh-tawn Rog-oo-ee, LA? In NYC, SOHO is "south of how-sten" - Say how-sten in Texas and you'll get beat up.

  18. #18
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    according to the decision this would be "unlawful use of a weapon" as opposed to "aggravated unlawful use of a weapon" Because the weapon was in a case (the armrest), the first count of AUUW fell. Because the Indiana permit was a substitute for the FOID, the second count of AUUW fell. The state's backup was that even if AUUW (loaded AND encased AND immediately accesible OR no FOID) wasn't sustainable, UUW was because it required less to prove (just loaded AND uncased OR immediately accessible is sufficient). However the court said because the weapon was found to be not uncased and neither the loaded condition of the weapon nor the accessibility issue were legally determined (because the way the two counts were brought together, the jury could have convicted just on the FOID issue - which was thrown out) there was no basis for conviction on a UUW charge. If the gun was loaded or accessible, Mr. Holmes lucked out by the overreaching and incompetence of the prosecution. I wouldn't rely on them being stupid twice.
    I would agree with the above. If the state would have pursued just misdemeanor UUW and stuck to testimony/evidence of finding the gun "loaded", it would have likely ended in conviction. The defendant did admit the firearm was there so PC or RAS protections were muted considerably.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •