• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco In lacey

MjrTeez

I often shop at Costco in Lacey as it is close to home. On two occasions I OC'd while shopping. Both times I was met by a floor manager a short time after I entered the store with them saying " Are you a police officer?" I replied no. "Are you active duty military?" I replied no. "Then we will have to ask you to leave the store as it is a Costco membership rule that you can not carry a gun in our store." My calm reply was this," I have read all the Costco membership rules and there is not one mention of carrying a firearm. If there is and I missed it, please go and get the printed rule and show it to me and I will gladly leave. Also if that is the case that no firearms are allowed why is there not a sign posted at the front door where you enter?" The floor manager says the same thing each time,"Go ahead and do your shopping I will get the rule and bring it to you." Which they never do.

Perhaps we should, we being all Costco members, make a shopping date for Costco in Lacey one Saturday.

5jeffro7

I often shop at Costco in Lacey as it is close to home. On two occasions I OC'd while shopping. Both times I was met by a floor manager a short time after I entered the store with them saying " Are you a police officer?" I replied no. "Are you active duty military?" I replied no. "Then we will have to ask you to leave the store as it is a Costco membership rule that you can not carry a gun in our store." My calm reply was this," I have read all the Costco membership rules and there is not one mention of carrying a firearm. If there is and I missed it, please go and get the printed rule and show it to me and I will gladly leave. Also if that is the case that no firearms are allowed why is there not a sign posted at the front door where you enter?" The floor manager says the same thing each time,"Go ahead and do your shopping I will get the rule and bring it to you." Which they never do.

Perhaps we should, we being all Costco members, make a shopping date for Costco in Lacey one Saturday.

I hope you're truly prepared to spend some time in a cell with "bubba". the first time you were asked to leave, that SHOULD have been your clue as to what the policy is...regardless of whether or not youi can find it, it has been repeatedly hashed out within this forun about Costco's weapons policy.

by returning a second tome, you did 2 things:
1) opened yourself up to a trespassing charge (and you've just readily admitted to having been informed of their policy previously)
2) by continuing to OC where yoiu've been informed that it was not allowed, shown that SOME OCers are "rebels" and out for nothing but attention, thus giving us all a bad name.

It has been stated as to what Costco's policy is, why push it & make yourself/us look bad...unless, of course, you're just looking for attention, whether it be bad or good

JM2CW

ETA: count me out on your "protest", I'll not put myself in a position where I KNOW what the business' policy is "no weapons".

Last edited:

amzbrady

Once you have been asked to leave, no matter what the gun policy or law is, you are on private property and by not leaving you can be tresspassed and you can be arrested. It does no good to only know part of the laws.

TechnoWeenie

He was requested to leave, then...

The floor manager says the same thing each time,"Go ahead and do your shopping I will get the rule and bring it to you."

.....the request was rescinded.

Costco is known to be anti-gun.

I carry there.... concealed.

Probably the ONLY place I conceal.

sudden valley gunner

+1 He wasn't refusing to leave anywhere in his post, he was able to talk and make a point with the manager. Kudos and keep doing what you are doing.

I too carry concealed there but their gun policy has some ambiguity to it from what has been posted. And the one time I OC there was no mention of it too me.

amzbrady

If thats truely what happened, I always get a little curious about stories from posters who just seem to have someone confront them within their first 20 posts. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

Trigger Dr

I am thinking a bit different from the rest of you. With the posts made and his screen name translated (Major Tease)
I seriously doubt his veracity. Troll????

DevinWKuska

Here is a letter you can find about anywhere on the internet RE: Costco post gun ban statement
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Investor Relations
Subject: RE: Banning guns

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
sabradley@costco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the link to their actual policy

https://costco.egain.net/system/sel...N=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&isSuggestedArticle=true

amlevin

So Show us the "Rule"

It seems like almost all responses from "Corporations" that don't want guns on their premises contain the following or similar phrase

It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions.

I am a Costco member and can't seem to find the provision in my "membership conditions" that prohibit my carrying a firearm. I also can't seem to find that part where "membership conditions" are subject to change at a moments notice to fit the whims and desires of "Management".

You'd think that a company like Costco, that stands so strongly behind this "no guns" policy would be able to show all us members where it is in their "Membership Conditions".

Has anyone here ever received a reply that actually contained a copy of the printed conditions or at least a link to a website source? Or are we all relying on what the "Corporate Mouthpieces" are saying? I have never seen a "No Firearms" sign at the door either.

PS: Employee Policy doesn't count.

BTW, the link just refers to essentially the same reply that was sent by e-mail. This was not included in my "Membership Conditions" when I joined.

The actual conditions outlined, other than purchase, return, or warranty information are:

General Policies
• Members are welcome to bring their children and up to
two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco
members may purchase items.
• Parents are responsible for their children and should not
leave them unattended.
• Members are responsible for their guests and other
family members.
• Costco reserves the right to inspect any container,
backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the
warehouse.
• To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the
merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise
will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
• Shirts and shoes are required.
• Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors

Still don't see a reference to firearms.

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/CostcoServicesDirectory.pdf

Last edited:

MjrTeez

An Actual Printed Rule

Here is a letter you can find about anywhere on the internet RE: Costco post gun ban statement

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
sabradley@costco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://costco.egain.net/system/sel...N=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&isSuggestedArticle=true

Had the floor manager at Costco showed me this I would have just left and come back w/o or concealed. But with them, in both instances, saying go ahead and do your shopping, that's what I did and then left.
But from now on I will either not carry there or only carry concealed. I read through every rule on the Costco membership section of their website and found no mention of this rule. But as I say, now that I have seen it in writing. It's their world.

Last edited:

amzbrady

I often shop at Costco in Lacey as it is close to home. On two occasions I OC'd while shopping. Both times I was met by a floor manager a short time after I entered the store with them saying " Are you a police officer?" I replied no. "Are you active duty military?" I replied no. "Then we will have to ask you to leave the store as it is a Costco membership rule that you can not carry a gun in our store."

Dear Mr. xxx,

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
sabradley@costco.com

Had the floor manager at Costco showed me this I would have just left and come back w/o or concealed. But with them, in both instances, saying go ahead and do your shopping, that's what I did and then left.
But from now on I will either not carry there or only carry concealed. I read through every rule on the Costco membership section of their website and found no mention of this rule. But as I say, now that I have seen it in writing. It's their world.

The floor manager should not have to show you squat, He asked you to leave the store. You are lucky he was not an assertive manager who knows how to do his job, or we would have been reading a post titled, "Arrested for tresspassing at Costo because I wasn't smart enough to listen"

Just Us

They let him shop twice. Until they finally say absolutely NO then.... Maybe that specific store will see there is no harm. Management hasn't been able to show him anything and let him shop. Instead of hounding him for it he maybe on a role. He has managed to do something that you guys haven't. But what do I know this is just my opinion.

Cougar125

When I was still stationed in WA, after my first encounter with a sheep at Wal-Mart, I started carrying an information pamphlet or 2 on me just for those instances. If they showed me a target rich environment policy, I'd hand them a pamphlet and leave.

MjrTeez...start carrying a couple pamphlets with you.

DevinWKuska

He was originally asked to leave, and then was granted permission to stay. I don't get how his is a trespassing issue.

Thats just it! Its not tresspassing at all. Some folks just lay down their rights and refuse to fight(especially OC/2A related). Had the manager again asked the OP to leave then it would have been tresspassing. By allowing the OP to continue shopping the manager surrendered for THAT incident any tresspassing issues. Regardless of whether or not that manager knows how to do is job, if he had called the police after telling the OP to leave... Well, I suspect suspect the OP wouldnt shop there anymore. However I would like to think any sound minded jury would say "Well why did you tell him to continue shopping if it was an issue, then turn around and say it was in need of LEO's (when he was of no reasonable threat)?" But then again I am not a lawyer so what do I know right?

Last edited:

deanf

However I would like to think any sound minded jury would say "Well why did you tell him to continue shopping if it was an issue, then turn around and say it was in need of LEO's (when he was of no reasonable threat)?"

Yeah sounds great in the vacuum of the Internet. People lie. People change their stories, things get mis-interpreted. The jury has to sort all that out, and sometimes they get it wrong.

sudden valley gunner

Yeah sounds great in the vacuum of the Internet. People lie. People change their stories, things get mis-interpreted. The jury has to sort all that out, and sometimes they get it wrong.

You can be sued for anything at anytime. Until we fix that....I will refuse to wonder around afraid of what a jury might do. Otherwise I would never leave the house.