• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco In lacey

sudden valley gunner

Of course.

Nevertheless, a risk-benefit analysis must be made. Some analyses will be more conservative than others.

True. And I can not insist others to take the same position/actions I would. Not condemning someones free will and actions they take for themselves is a necessity in a path of freedom. (As long as it is not harming others or infringing on their freedom of course)

I would hope thought that they would support what is right.

Last edited:

hermannr

I have been thinking about this letter posted that was written by this "executive assistant" (secretary) sbradley@costco.com.

When I was in business, (I am retired) if my secretary wished to promulgate some rule or anouncement for me, it would be in the For XXXX, title; by executive secretary yyyy.

Nowhere in this letter does this gal state she is acting in behalf of the employer, she only trys to put some authority behind her email by stating she is the executive assistant.

I think this gal just wrote something up for her anti-gun friends to post on the web. In no way would something like this email hold up as policy.

There is nothing in the official posted Costco membership rules that addresses firearms at all, one way or another. Costco does reserve the right to refuse anyone, but I have only seen that used with people not having a card.

Take a look at this discussion and what I would call a proper Costco response: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107572

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This may help explain...

This story is from a Costco in Las Vegas in which a West Point graduate and CCW holder was shot by police. I can't remember all of the details, but I believe it is rumored that he was OC and the police were called. The police claim that he pointed his weapon at them, but others disputed that.

STORY

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
More to the story...

LINK
They said Scott walked out of the entrance with the crowd.

They described an officer shouting at Scott, then a quick succession of gunshots.

The witnesses differed in their recollection of what one of the officers said.

Amesbury heard, “I told you to stop. Stop.”

Two witnesses interviewed Sunday heard, “Drop it.”

A fourth witness, interviewed Saturday, heard, “Get down,” “Put it down,” or “Get out of the way.”

A second anonymous witness said Sunday he saw Scott pull up his shirt and turn toward the shouting officer. Then he saw the man get shot, drop to his knees and fall face-first in front of the entrance.

“There wasn’t even time for someone to react,” the second witness said. “The guy didn’t pull a gun. There was no gun in his hand, there was no gun on the ground.”

The second witness said he was interviewed by homicide detectives and gave them the same account.

The first anonymous witness also didn’t see Scott make a threat.

“I certainly did not see the guy do anything with a gun that would threaten anybody,” the first witness said Sunday. “It appeared to me that if he had guns on him, that they were literally in his pocket or in his waist.”

The first witness also was interviewed by homicide detectives about the shooting.

hermannr

When in Las Vegas, don't listen to that TV station.

This just seconds my opinion..stay away from cities, the cops in cities are just too trigger happy.

sudden valley gunner

Other news reports have described this individuals actions leading up to the police being called as rather bizarre. There was more to this than just an OC'er being shot by police in a Costco. His behavior and actions when confronted by Police led to the shooting.

So why did the cops lie about it? Or is that just habit? :lol:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Can't answer that, I do wonder why the entire story isn't reported on all media outlets. Only some.

Generally this phenomenon is because it doesn't fit the socio norms, in this instance that citizens that have firearms are not crazies or criminals. That may not be the case in this instance, but it would be a great story for a true investigative journalist.

tombrewster421

I have been thinking about this letter posted that was written by this "executive assistant" (secretary) sbradley@costco.com.

When I was in business, (I am retired) if my secretary wished to promulgate some rule or anouncement for me, it would be in the For XXXX, title; by executive secretary yyyy.

Nowhere in this letter does this gal state she is acting in behalf of the employer, she only trys to put some authority behind her email by stating she is the executive assistant.

I think this gal just wrote something up for her anti-gun friends to post on the web. In no way would something like this email hold up as policy.

There is nothing in the official posted Costco membership rules that addresses firearms at all, one way or another. Costco does reserve the right to refuse anyone, but I have only seen that used with people not having a card.

Take a look at this discussion and what I would call a proper Costco response: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107572

I completely agree that this letter is not in any way a company policy. If it were you'd be able to find it on their terms of membership. This was merely a persons attempt to implement their own agenda by answering a question that someone asked. It is not backed up by any sort of cite to paperwork or authority. I think there should be many more people doing exactly what the OP did. Maybe then it will get cleared up one way or the other.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
nuff said....

Clothes_dont_make_a_man.jpg

tombrewster421

The only piece of evidence to support the assumption the Costco doesn't allow carry is an email response to a question that the responder has no authority to make such decisions. Absolutely nothing can be found in writing of an actual policy that affects members. I just had my first experience with a manager asking me to leave the gun in the car. It was the Lacey location. The other THREE locations I go to haven't said a word. It's the individual managers that have a problem and are trying to enforce their own policy. Most of the problem managers are getting their misguided information from the employee handbook which restricts EMPLOYEES from carrying while at work. Absolutely NO ONE has got a definitive answer from corporate and they have not implemented any policy in any writing regarding membership rules. I asked the manager to provide me with something in writing and he said he would try to find it online. When he FAILED, he gave me the number to corporate so I could call them. I'll post back after I call. Hopefully they will actually make a clear policy that anyone can find one way or the other.

hermannr

I have pointed this out before, I am am sure I will point this out again,,,that email was signed by a secretary...I do not give a single stinking D#$ what some secretary writes or thinks, even if she is the CEO's secretary....

UNLESS it is signed in the form: Xxxx Yyyyy CEO with xy/ab under the official signature.

You got an email from a secretary, in her own name. It is not something that was signed off by an official officer of the Corporation.

A secretary's opinion can not/does not reflect Corporate policy, and she cannot set Corporate policy. To be official, the letter from this secretary has to be signed by the officer of the company, and/or with chapter and verse of the corporate policy book, to be worth the bandwidth it used up to get to you.

If it was official, the order would be reversed. The officers would have signed, and the secretary would be a set of initials under the signatures...The gal didn't even have the guts to put "for" her bosses name, so you know it is/was her own personal opinion.

Any time you Email a corporation, look carefully who "signed" The reply. Secretaries cannot set policy.

amlevin

Go to Costco's website. The Member Rules are posted there. Just print a copy and carry. When challenged by the Manager, hand him a copy and have him show you where firearms are prohibited. There are rules on how many guests, and who is allowed to purchase, you have to wear a shirt and shoes, but no f$#NG rules about guns.

Once again
9. General Policies
• Members are welcome to bring their children and up to
two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco
members may purchase items.
• Parents are responsible for their children and should
not leave them unattended.
• Members are responsible for their guests and other
family members.
• Costco reserves the right to inspect any container,
backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the
warehouse.
• To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the
merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise
will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
• Shirts and shoes are required.
• Liquor and Tobacco sales cannot be made to minors

It's on page 27 of their Member Benefits brochure

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/CostcoStory04.pdf

If it's not in the "Rule Book" it can't very well be a rule, can it?

deanf

If it's not in the "Rule Book" it can't very well be a rule, can it?

The manager can make up rules on the spot, at his sole discretion, with or without prior notice, and you must obey them, or face being ejected.

You are in their warehouse by license. License which can be revoked at any time. Whether a Costco manager has the internal authority to make a no guns rule is none of our business, and certainly won't be of any concern to a police officer or criminal court.

Why must people strut and bluster after being told the rules?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
While there are many stores that do allow lawful carry of weapons, MANAGERS still have the authority to have you removed contrary to corporate policy.