• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two Suspects Charged With Armed Carjacking at MAPLEWOOD WAL-MART

lancers

I thought Maplewood was a safe town and we didn't need guns to protect ourselves?

Do you think they would have tried that with someone with a gun on their hip?

http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.com/articles/two-suspects-charged-with-armed-carjacking

Two suspects have been charged with an attempted armed carjacking in the Maplewood Walmart parking lot on March 27.

Devonte Morgan, 18 of St. Louis City, and an unnamed juvenile have been charged with first-degree robbery and armed criminal action; both are felonies.

Maplewood police say the two suspects held a man at gunpoint in the parking lot and they planned to steal his car. After the man resisted, the suspects hit him with the gun and ran away, said Lt. Mark Griffin of the Maplewood Police Department.

Maplewood police responded "almost immediately," Griffin said, resulting in a foot chase in the Walmart area. The suspects were arrested near Home Depot in Brentwood with the assistance of the Brentwood Police Department, Griffin said. The suspects' gun was stolen, he said.

Both suspects are being held in the St. Louis County Jail. Morgan is being held on a $50,000 bond and a hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. on April 11.

Morgan was previously charged with first-degree trespassing, a misdemeanor, in St. Louis on March 22. A hearing for that case is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Thursday.

Last edited:

MK

Do you think they would have tried that with someone with a gun on their hip?

Using the logic that most of us operate under, the answer would obviously be, no they wouldn't have tried that.

However, in flashing a gun while committing a forcible felony, these idiots had aleady decided that their lives were worth putting on the table in order to steal something that has insignificant value when compared to the lives they were gambling with. I wouldn't for a second assume that some dirtbag idiot would be deterred by the mere presence of a firearm though most rational people should be. People who put firearms in other people's faces in order to steal from them are irrational to begin with and don't give two hoots to care about their own lives being put in jeopardy by their actions.

It should be a deterrent. It might possibly be with some people, but don't count on it. There are some dangerously idiotic people in our midsts.

cash50

Maplewood is super safe!

MK- I think an openly carried firearm would have been a great deterrent. These guys may have had a weapon, but they obviously didn't want to fire it - see the part where they ran from the cops. Instead they just brandished it to scare some white person into giving up his car.

StevenSTL

I don't understand these thugs. They brandish a weapon then don't even use it. You just lost your credibility.

Too bad the victim wasn't armed.

kylemoul

I don't understand these thugs. They brandish a weapon then don't even use it. You just lost your credibility.

if that was my car...there would of been 2 bodies going to the freezer instead of 2 court dates

cshoff

I'd much sooner give up my vehicle than to have to shoot somebody. That said, when the gun entered the picture, I can't imagine not being in fear for my life and responding accordingly.

kylemoul

I'd much sooner give up my vehicle than to have to shoot somebody. That said, when the gun entered the picture, I can't imagine not being in fear for my life and responding accordingly.

maybe theyll think twice next time.

just another example why people should protect themselves

cash50

You don't understand that they just want to steal the car, and not murder someone? They didn't lose credibility they just didn't go any further than they had to to accomplish their goal(s).

MKEgal

cash50 said:
You don't understand that they just want to steal the car, and not murder someone?
They pointed a gun at another human being when that other person hadn't done anything to threaten them.

For me, that's plenty 'nuff evidence of intent to cause great bodily harm or death (required by most self-defense laws before the intended victim can use lethal force in response).
When guns have been pointed at me, I have been in fear for my life. (Once by civilian criminals, once by uniformed officers who were breaking the law, and I was about equally scared for my well-being.)

Besides, how many times have we heard about criminals who get compliant victims who give them what they want, then harm or kill the victims anyway?

Tony4310

They pointed a gun at another human being when that other person hadn't done anything to threaten them.

For me, that's plenty 'nuff evidence of intent to cause great bodily harm or death (required by most self-defense laws before the intended victim can use lethal force in response).
When guns have been pointed at me, I have been in fear for my life. (Once by civilian criminals, once by uniformed officers who were breaking the law, and I was about equally scared for my well-being.)

Besides, how many times have we heard about criminals who get compliant victims who give them what they want, then harm or kill the victims anyway?

Well said and I agree 100 percent.

xc9subcompact

The liberals who give the advice to be compliant and submit to whatever the crime is obviously haven't had it happen to them. In fact, the ones with the most money and power will be the first to tell you this. They don't mention they either have a gun or they have paid security.
What is the message sent? Go ahead and do it. It's like taking candy from a baby.
The message should be: Go ahead and try, a suprise awaits you!
An armed society is a polite society.

peterarthur

I would rather lose my car... but I would likely use my gun if I feared for my life. Remember, some scumbags will kill you for 50 bucks, even after they have your money. I see a gun, I will probably shoot thinking that they intend to shoot me regardless of how cooperative I am. The internet has thousands of examples of this kind of coldblooded killing. If you believe that cooperation will help you survive, you are naive. Many criminals already know if they will kill you before they commit the crime. Cooperation might buy you valuable seconds to respond though...