• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA AG affirms legality of carrying for self defense in church

paramedic70002

ocholsteroc

I am still lost on church/school gun bans, does sunday school count as a "school" and thus no guns allowed in church/grounds? I know churches that meet at high schools, that is a SCHOOL. But does a church that runs no school programs, no Preschool/K/1~6 grade... Just on sunday morning they have childerns sunday school ages 1~18 years old, does that COUNT as a school? :confused::confused:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am still lost on church/school gun bans, does sunday school count as a "school" and thus no guns allowed in church/grounds? I know churches that meet at high schools, that is a SCHOOL. But does a church that runs no school programs, no Preschool/K/1~6 grade... Just on sunday morning they have childerns sunday school ages 1~18 years old, does that COUNT as a school? :confused::confused:

The school ban is on grades K-12 only. Preschool is NOT considered a "school" unless it is accredited by the Va, Dept. of Education as a Kindergarten. You can tell without looking for paperwork just by asking if the care providers have/maintain a valid teaching certificate, or get paid more than near-minimum wages, or have daily planning periods where they are not responsible for watching/teaching the kids, or ... well, you get the idea.

Same for Sunday School - in order to qualify for the school ban the facility needs to provide 180 days worth of instruction at approx. 5.5 hours per "day" and cover all of the material in the SOL (Standards of Learning). So unless your Sunday School is covering Algebra 1, English & American Lit, and PE for the older teens I doubt it is a "school" within the meaning of the school ban.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

The school ban is on grades K-12 only. Preschool is NOT considered a "school" unless it is accredited by the Va, Dept. of Education as a Kindergarten. You can tell without looking for paperwork just by asking if the care providers have/maintain a valid teaching certificate, or get paid more than near-minimum wages, or have daily planning periods where they are not responsible for watching/teaching the kids, or ... well, you get the idea.

Same for Sunday School - in order to qualify for the school ban the facility needs to provide 180 days worth of instruction at approx. 5.5 hours per "day" and cover all of the material in the SOL (Standards of Learning). So unless your Sunday School is covering Algebra 1, English & American Lit, and PE for the older teens I doubt it is a "school" within the meaning of the school ban.

stay safe.

That is the answers I was looking for!

Thanks for your input

Last edited:

Dreamer

However, the example you give of a church meeting in a high school DOES count as "being on school property". The GFSZ laws do not stipulate whether or not the school is in session, or during what hours or days the ban is in effect--it's ALWAYS in effect on property and in buildings that are used as a K-12 school...

Last edited: