• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

posted conspicuously?

Sc0tt

So I was in the waffle house in Hillsborogh (yeah I get around) paying for the meal I just ate when the customer behind me ask what I'm carrying. I looked back and told him, and a small conversation about gun rights insuded (A real friendly guy)
The manager walked over and asked me what he meant by "carrying". I twisted my hip around to show him my holstered hand-gun. He quickly changed his attitude to you have to leave that is not allowed in the store.
I apologized and told him I did not see a sign on the door and I did not know. The manager walks to the corner of the store and point to a small sign about 3x3 or 4x4 inches (not even near the door) and says yes it is posted.
I pointed out that If the sign was in the store how was I suppose to know until I got in the store and happened to walk by his business card sized sign.
He said it was also on the out side of the store. We walk out side and he goes all the way to the ass end of the store near the dumpster about as far away from the door as you can get and still be on the same side of the building and shows me a sign.

At this point I told him that I was sorry again, HOWEVER he might want to look at NC law which requires a sign banning handguns on the premises to be posted conspicuously and that neither one were. I informed him I was leaving and would be in touch with Waffle house corporate offices.

Now The question is: If a business has a gun busters sign that is clearly not visible or "posted conspicuously" is it legal?

Oh Shoot

....Now The question is: If a business has a gun busters sign that is clearly not visible or "posted conspicuously" is it legal?

Don't know about over there, but similar statutes here and they simply haven't been tested in court. We've not had anyone charged with "carrying past a sign" yet, that we can find, whether it strictly abided by the current posting statute or not, or the one before it, which didn't even allow gun buster sign as binding.

It's a misdemeanor here, and police have to witness a misdemeanor for the police to charge you. If you weren't still in the store if they were called, then the store manager would have to sign a complaint for you to be charged. I think this is pretty much universal misdemeanor procedure in the states, but couldn't say for sure.

Btw, Waffle House -- various folks have posted about them through the years, and seems it is totally up to each location since they are run totally by franchise. Whether there is a corporate "recommendation" who knows, but seems some post, maybe most of them dunno. But it's clear that there's no standard FOR the postings which you would suspect would not be the case if it were required by the home office.

- OS

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I think some businesses do this on purpose. It's almost like they don't want to offend anyone (carrier or not) by posting a gun buster sign in an obvious place. I think it's almost like placing your restaurant rating certificate on the ceiling so no one can see it. It's still technically visible, but people rarely look at the ceiling in a restaurant. I've noticed that restaurants in SC all have their rating as a sticker on the main entrance, so there must be a law there. Some states (I think even NC) have laws stating that the gun buster sign must be visible near each entrance. Most shopping malls are bad about only posting at one entrance, but no others. I've never been to a Waffle House here, but I should stop by the parking lot of one to see if it's posted.

elixin77

This is the second time i've heard of a waffle house being posted. Leads me to think that waffle house is either slowly changing their stance on guns, or theres a few managers that are going rogue.

Seems I might have to steal my gullet and get me some waffle house food this week, to make sure the one in g-ville isn't posted

Oh Shoot

This is the second time i've heard of a waffle house being posted. Leads me to think that waffle house is either slowly changing their stance on guns, or theres a few managers that are going rogue....

Been posted over here for years. Maybe most all of them. Few if any statute complaint, though.
Then again, I haven't been to one in several years, either, maybe they've swung the other way.

- OS

Last edited:

Sc0tt

Ive been by three now:

Hillsboroough:
Has a sign on the exterior at the far right end of the building (at a distance it could even be mistaken for a parking sign) and a very small sign just inside the door to the left of the register above the kitchen area on the wall (about the size of a business card)

Ranelman:
Has the same sign on the outside far right of the building (also no where near the door, however nothing is posted inside or on the door)

Asheboro:
Has the same sign on the outside far right of the building (also no where near the door, however nothing is posted inside or on the door)

[I have updated friend or foe]

The sign on the outside appears to be a sign from the chain, its yellow has the waffle house logo and is the same at all locations. Its something generic about no loitering, skateboards or firearms. I will get a picture soon.

Does anyone have a generic template that I can use to contact corporate about this?

Sc0tt

Customer Call Line:
1-877-9-WAFFLE

Waffle House Inc.
5986 Financial Drive
Norcross, GA. 30071
(770) 729-5700
Our hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST)

If you wish to be contacted by a Waffle House representative, please
include your name, address, phone number and e-mail.

From the waffle house site

sultan62

I've been to at least 5-6 in NC and SC, and none of them have ever been posted that I saw. Of course, given this story, I suppose it's possible that they were posted and I just didn't see it. I'll have to keep an eye out in the future.

Carry24/7

The one in Belmont, NC is posted with the little sign inside almost on the ceiling. I CC'd there several times before my partner pointed it out. Who's going to look up there for a sign. Never looked for one near the roof in the back so there might be one there too. I would think if anyone would support the 2 amendment WH would.

Ricky

As someone said before its been awhile since I've been but remember the sign inside very high almost touching the ceiling. At the time I CC so I just finished my meal and left. That was probably over a year ago.....

Sc0tt

We should be mass-mailing this to Wafflehouse.

"Link to story here"

You're welcome.

- "The open carry community"

LMAO That OC robbery prevention thread is pretty good. I like the ideas in it.

Dreamer

Seems I might have to steal my gullet and get me some waffle house food this week, to make sure the one in g-ville isn't posted

Let me know when you do, and I might tag along if my schedule allows. I've been craving some hash browns with "the works"...

The 2 WH's in Fayetteville near the Mall are both posted. They are both regular scenes of shoot-outs among the local thug-life.

Wonder why?...

Sc0tt

The 2 WH's in Fayetteville near the Mall are both posted. They are both regular scenes of shoot-outs among the local thug-life.

Wonder why?...

maybe they dont have it posted conspicuously and low life cant see the no guns sign

cricketdad

Let me know when you do, and I might tag along if my schedule allows. I've been craving some hash browns with "the works"...

Wonder why?...

I must be missing a lot. I have lived near these two places for the last 40+ years and don't remember any shoot outs. Just the one at Luiji's down the street a little bit.

Dreamer

The "posted conspicuously" law is not really enforced in NC, and is apparently open to VERY loose interpretation...

The Mall in Greenville has a big gray poster (about 20"x30") in the windows of all their entrances listing their "code of conduct". Way down at the bottom of the list, in tiny type (about 12 pt) is a sentence that says "no weapons of any kind allowed on Mall Property" or some such wording.

I'm a profesionall graphic designer. In my experience, and under my understanding of the word "conspicuous", the firearms clause on the posters at the Greenville Mall are the exact opposite of "conspicuous".

But that doesn't stop them for messing with you if you try to carry there...

BTW, the Greenville Mall is owned by a British Real Estate Management conglomerate. I guess that should not surprise anyone considering their firearms policy.

The only people who carry in the Greenville Mall are thugs and gangbangers--and that is JUST the way they want it to be, based on their corporate policy...

Needless to say, I have never spent a single dollar at that Mall, and avoid it like the plague.

Dreamer

I must be missing a lot. I have lived near these two places for the last 40+ years and don't remember any shoot outs. Just the one at Luiji's down the street a little bit.

When I lived in Fayetteville (from 2006-2008) I worked at the Sears in the Mall. Shootings at one of those two WHs were a near-weekly occurrence. The WH on the west side of Skibo had its windows shot out one night by some thug who walked in, saw a rival sitting in a booth, and opened fire (didn't hit any people, but broke a LOT of glass). That was in 2007, I think...

I drove by those WH's several nights a week on my way home from work. I worked the late shift, and was often leaving the store after 11pm on weekend nights, and there were ALWAYS police cars in the lots of both those WHs, and every week, I would see someone getting "proned" in the parking lots. The WHs in Fayette-nam used to be a have for thuglife, especially on weekend nights.

But they were usually pretty cool during the day. So unless you frequent Fayetteville WHs late at night (between 10pm and 3am) you might not be aware of how they are.

It's like when the clubs start to close, the WHs become Thug Magnets...

They may be different now though--I don't know. I havent lived in Fayette-ghanistan in about 3 years...

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I stopped by the parking lot of Waffle House on Greenville Blvd tonight and didn't see any postings. There was a sign on the door, but it wasn't firearms related. I won't be able to make lunch tomorrow, but let me know how it goes.