• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida carry urgent action requested!

Rich7553

FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT
URGENT ACTION NEEDED!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 12, 2011

SB 234 – Bogdanoff Committee Amendment a Prelude to Killing OC

Members and friends,

Late today, Sen. Ellyn Bogdanoff (R-Fort Lauderdale), introduced a committee amendment to SB 234. This bill meets the Judiciary Committee tomorrow at 1PM. Sen. Bogdanoff is a member of this committee, and early on in the bill’s life, expressed reservations about open carry. She is now carrying through with an attempt to kill open carry.

The amendment, although looking innocuous enough, makes inadvertent exposure exempt from the prohibition of open carry in §790.053 Florida Statutes. However, the issue of inadvertent exposure is moot if the open carry bill is passed. It is apparent that this is a prelude to a floor amendment that would remove the open carry provision entirely in favor of this amendment language.

We urgently request you IMMEDIATELY e-mail the committee members and demand that they do not adopt, and demand that Sen. Bogdanoff immediately withdraw this open carry unfriendly amendment as a slap in the face to the law-abiding concealed carriers. Apparently, we cannot be trusted to decide for ourselves where and when open carry is appropriate despite almost a quarter century of impeccable behavior under the concealed carry statute.

Feel free to use the e-mail helper below, and thank you again for your solid support. We’re almost there, and we just need a final push to get this bill to the Governor’s desk for his promised signature.

E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, copy, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:

bogdanoff.ellyn.web@flsenate.gov; flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov; joyner.arthenia.web@flsenate.gov; braynon.oscar.web@flsenate.gov; richter.garrett.web@flsenate.gov; simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov; thrasher.john.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT:

Withdraw/Reject SB 234 Amendment!

Dear Senators,

Sen. Ellyn Bogdanoff has proposed a committee amendment, inserting language that would amend §790.053 F.S. to exempt inadvertent exposure of a firearm by licensed concealed carriers while carrying concealed. This amendment must be withdrawn or rejected immediately, as it is clearly a prelude to removing the open carry provision of SB 234 in its entirety.

Neither the membership of Florida Carry, nor concealed carry license holders in general, will tolerate this attempt at destroying open carry. It is something that the license holders have not had the opportunity to do since 1987, and it is something they have earned through their faithful, law-abiding behavior for almost a quarter century.

As of March 31, 2011, over 1.95 million licenses have been issued by the Department of Agriculture, with only 168 being revoked for misuse of a firearm. Does that not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that license holders are responsible?

Senator Bogdanoff, you represent portions of Broward and Palm Beach counties. Those counties comprise 116,151 out of 801,219 active license holders in Florida, who will not forget this come election time.

Respectfully yours,
<your name>

77zach

I knew my denial would not make the truth go away. Alas, OC in Fl too good to be true.

There will be a follow up amendment to "delete everything" in lines such and such removing the OC language from the bill. Neocons. This is what you want, this is what you get. This is what you want......blah blah blah. Evers and Hammer will be amenable. This was their main goal anyhow.

Email sent regardless. I sent it to Evers too.

77zach

Why would she do this if she didn't have the votes to kill it? There is another anti-gun bigot on the committee who agrees with her, otherwise it would just be 4-3 instead of 5-2. No?

nigmalg

I sent it as well...

I can't believe they would do this after being "corrected" several times by the backlash.
What do they think is going to happen?

jammer

New amendent to sb234

THIS DOES STOP YOU FROM OPEN CARRY PERIOD! THE ONLY THING THIS AMENDMENT DOES FOR CCWFL HOLDERS IS AS THE AMENDMENT SAYS ALLOWS YOU TO AND I QUOTE: accidentally or inadvertently display the
15 firearm to the ordinary sight of another person so long as the
16 firearm is not displayed in a rude, angry, or threatening
17 manner. THIS MEANS THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO CONCEAL YOUR WEAPON, AS THE LAW STANDS NOW, YOU JUST WONT HAVE TO PAY THE $25.00 FINE ANYMORE. PRAY THAT THIS AMENDMENT IS VOTED OUT AND THE BILL PASSES AS IT HAS SO FAR.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Really, who didn't see this coming? They've had weeks to do this, and they spring it the night before... Typical.

Wanna bet the NRA is behind this and Hammer will be praising it tomorrow?

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It appears that this Amendment makes it illegal to carry a Cell Phone, PDA, Pager, Digital Camera, Voice Recorder, etc., unless you have a CWFL.

It also conflicts with the Hunting/Fishing/Camping provisions.

It does not appear to erase the bill tho.... It says that it is to be inserted before the next to last line of the current bill.

77zach

Really, who didn't see this coming? They've had weeks to do this, and they spring it the night before... Typical.

Wanna bet the NRA is behind this and Hammer will be praising it tomorrow?

Hammer specifically said in the CJ hearing that only addressing accidental exposure was unworkable. Who is to decide what is accidental and what is intentional?

I'm going to call bogdanoff's office this morning and just ask why she did this and express my concern that she is anti-second amendment.

Last edited: