• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Representative Ross Hunter wants to take away YOUR right to self-defense!

Tawnos

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/2067.pdf

This bill strikes the entirety of 9A.16.110. This goes beyond bad politics as usual, it's unconscionable. Any of you living or with family in the 48th district should be contacting Ross Hunter: ross.hunter@leg.wa.gov - Tell him what you think about making self-defense a scarier legal position to be put in, and why you or your friends will not be voting for him. My email follows:

Subject: I'm disappointed in you - HB1016 & 2067
Body:
First, you vote “no” on HB1016 because you don’t understand the law. Your reasoning that you “have remaining concerns about these suppressors leaking into the general population. Stuff gets stolen, lost, or given away” makes no sense when the bill in question does not change the purchase or acquisition of these devices, it simply removes penalties for using them to reduce noise. Thankfully, that poor vote was overturned by your more sensible colleagues.

You then turn right back around and work to further weaken the legal rights of a person acting in self-defense. It is unconscionable to place the burden of defense on the assaulted party. Many avoid going to court already due to the perceived imbalance of prosecutorial power versus the right of the defendant, and you further engender this bias via HB2067. It’s clear you care little about the rights of the people in this state to effectively defend themselves per Article 1 Section 24 of our constitution, both in safety of practice and practicality of legal repercussions. As such, I will be urging friends and families to vote against you this next election, as you clearly do not serve the rights of the people of the 48th district.

Hammer

I really think an idjit like this should be impeached. Those in the 48th should put some effort into making this pea-brain know just how out of touch he is. He is also violating his oath of office, which should be cause for impeachment.

amlevin

Haven't we passed the deadline for all not "Revenue" bills to have been passed from committee and into the general session? If so, bills like this would be dead for the 2011 session.

As for the "48th District", what do you expect from someone representing Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Medina, Clyde Hill, Hunts Point, Yarrow Point and a little bit of Issaquah.

I certainly have no plans to move to any of those communities just to be able to vote against him and those who live there are brain dead when it comes to Self Defense. They all figure that's the job of the Police Department.

Machoduck

My letter to Olympia:

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

HB2067 would be bad legislation: It would remove the primary defense against corrupt* prosecutors now enjoyed by people who defend their lives legally. RCW 9A.16.110 serves as a deterrent to malicious prosecution. It is worse for the poor now and would be worse yet under HB2067. The lower one's income or property value, the less effective one's ability, in practical terms, to defend oneself in our legal system. Often, the quality of one's defense is based upon one's ability to hire good (read expensive) lawyers and investigators. There is no valid reason that the motto of the Washington court system should be, "Equal justice for all; at least those with lots of money." The ideal should be to correctly determine the guilt or innocence of the defendant, not to engage in attempts at perceived social justice through malicious prosecution. As you well know, this is a hypothetical ideal but we should not move even farther away from the ideal than we are now. HB2067 would move Washington in the wrong direction.

*At one time I thought that corruption was limited to the taking of monetary bribes, such as future jobs or actual cash. I now see corruption as having a much larger definition. Political aspirations and philosophies at odds with The Constitution are just two sources of non-monetary corruption.

Sincerely,

MachoDuck

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was notified about this today in my NRA daily email. I believe the Representitive (and I use that term loosly) is just trying to save a state buck. It is something they are ALL trying to do, and they seem to pick things that pi** us off. I believe it is a scare tactic demo's use to freak people into letting them spend more. The Bastiges!!
Yes I did send out about fifteen emails to the Legs in Olympia

Last edited:

jt59

Haven't we passed the deadline for all not "Revenue" bills to have been passed from committee and into the general session? If so, bills like this would be dead for the 2011 session.

As for the "48th District", what do you expect from someone representing Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Medina, Clyde Hill, Hunts Point, Yarrow Point and a little bit of Issaquah.

I certainly have no plans to move to any of those communities just to be able to vote against him and those who live there are brain dead when it comes to Self Defense. They all figure that's the job of the Police Department.

I would think that this is past the deadline as indicated in the cut off calendar dates below, but the committee (as a fiscal committee and trying to relate this to the budget somehow) may get some additional grace time: However, at a minimum this bill will automatically be on the docket for next session in 2012 as they get a two year hall pass.

It is important to continue to monitor our legislative process for this kind of sneak attack introduction of proposed legislation so late in the game.

WARNING: While it is uncommon, his intent may be to introduce this bill directly on the floor and move to a floor debate and vote....and circumvent the intent of the entire legislative process.

I suggest that as many gun friendly legislators be contacted (in the house) regarding this issue, as IMHO, the Representative sponsoring this bill will likely not give a fat rats A$$ what your postion and threat of vote may be in your correspondence.

Having as many/any show up for the public hearing would be important. You can be assured that he likely has a few followers lined up to testify in SUPPORT of this bill, otherwise he wouldn't have put it up for public comment.

2011 Session Cutoff Calendar

Below are the cutoff dates for the 2011 Regular Session.

January 10, 2011 First Day of Session

February 21, 2011 Last day to read in committee reports in house of origin, except House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.

February 25, 2011 Last day to read in committee reports from House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees in house of origin.

March 7, 2011 Last day to consider bills in house of origin (5 p.m.).

March 25, 2011 Last day to read in committee reports from opposite house, except House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.

April 1, 2011 Last day to read in opposite house committee reports from House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.

April 12, 2011* Last day to consider opposite house bills (5 p.m.) (except initiatives and alternatives to initiatives, budgets and matters necessary to implement budgets, differences between the houses, and matters incident to the interim and closing of the session).

April 24, 2011 Last day allowed for regular session under state constitution.

* After the 93rd day, only initiatives, alternatives to initiatives, budgets and matters necessary to implement budgets, messages pertaining to amendments, differences between the houses, and matters incident to the interim and closing of the session may be considered.

jt59

Broadcast this email to anyone that may want to testify

Apr 13 Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Ways & Means at 3:30 PM

I sent a PM to Mark Knapp, Atty regarding this.....and will send it to others. I'd encourage you to broadcast this in your personal network.

.....a piece of legislation that affects us all has been dropped into play:

Representative Ross Hunter, Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee -

HB - 2067

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2067&year=2011

NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. RCW 9A.16.110 (Defending against violent

6 crime--Reimbursement) and 1995 c 44 s 1, 1989 c 94 s 1, & 1977 ex.s. c

7 206 s 8 are each repealed.

Eliminates reimbursement for defense costs of persons acquitted on the basis of self-defense.

I know that this will be an important issue for you. If at all possible, I am letting folks know so that if available, you may make an effort to go and testify against this bill at the public hearing that he set up for tomorrow in Olympia at 3:30 pm

Thanks for your help on this in advance.

therealcombat

UPDATE:

got a super fast reply from Ed Orcutt

Ed Orcutt said:
HB 2067 looks like a pretty bad idea to take away reimbursements for defense costs when you are acquitted for self defense. Seems like if you were a victim to start with, you shouldn’t be held to pay to defend yourself when defending yourself was the whole reason for the incident in the first place. I will oppose the bill.

Ed

DevinWKuska

Too many phone calls and emails....

nice job all, but be eternally vigilant!

+1

Interestingly enough those areas are all "high-rent" areas. Filled with many who are not so concerned over the cost of a single hearing. Now if Mr. Hunter was over say... tacoma, lakewood, steilacoom, ect... I suspect his supporters would be few and far between.

jt59

Too many phone calls and emails....

nice job all, but be eternally vigilant!

I agree, I took off this afternoon and delivered a synopsis to Welcher's, Bull's Eye, Mary's and the Marksman...and also sent a personal message to all of the committee members...geez, what a list.

I'll put this bill on my watch list to monitor....

This may have been posted in the past but I came across this as a "master list" of ranges.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/shooting_ranges/ranges.php

jt59

This bill has been removed from the public meeting schedule for tomorrow. No explanation as to why.​

this does not mean that it is gone, it isn't. it has an official bill number and everything.

Like gogo says....we need to be vigilant.

I got the same response from Ed Horcutt and also this from Representative Alexander:

Thank you for your comments. HB 2067 has been pulled from the Ways & Means Calendar and will not be heard. -----Original Message-----From: XXX

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:35 PMTo: Alexander, Rep. GarySubject:

NC: Please do not vote this out of committee

HOUSE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE TO: Representative Gary Alexander FROM: jt59 (Non-Constituent)

Last edited:

Bucks Gun Shop

Called my representative today and was told in no uncertain terms that this will never come to pass... Course, I've been told that before!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: