Thread: SECU. Who's Brave Enough?

Question SECU. Who's Brave Enough?

So SECU (at least everyone I have ever been too) only have a "No conceled handguns allowed sign" Now I have heard many a people both at the meets and on the site saying you can OC in these places.

So....

Who Has?
    How did it go over?

Personally I disarm every time, because I know people in my town and no sooner than I walk in they will either
    A. Call the police, and I know Im not breaking any laws if they haven't asked me to leave or put it in my car but my luck w/ LEO's isn't on par w/ everyone else.
    B. Tell me to put it in my car or leave (so why not save the trip)

I have desperately wanted to try to OC in a SECU However Im a chicken, and if it goes bad I dont think Ill be able to post how it went till I can make bail.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

I live in Washington, and have accounts at the Greenville SECU on 1st Street. Every time I go into that branch, I OC. Probably done it a few dozen times since I opened my accounts there last fall. It's never been an issue...

I have not yet carried in the Washington branch, because it's rarely open when I'm at home, due to my schedule.

I have not yet carried in any of the other Greenville branches, or any other branches in ENC, simply because I haven't had the opportunity to do so, but if I'm in another town and need to go to the bank, I would not hesitate to OC at ANY branch of SECU, as long as they don't prohibit it.

And I know for a fact that "exilin77" OCs in the Greenville branch. He got hassled about it once, but was quick to quote statutes, and stayed calm and level-headed, and set the Greenville Sheriff's Department straight double-quick.

My first suggestion would be to have the Greenville Sherrif's Department on speed-dial, and give that number to your local LEOs if they try to mess with you. After "exilin77"s run-in, they researched it to see if he knew what he was talking about, and proved to themselves that what THEY thought was the law was WRONG, and "exilin77" was correct.

There is NO FEDERAL LAW prohibiting carry in a bank, credit union, or financial institution. Period.

Credit Unions and banks are PRIVATE PROPERTY, and therefore are under the same prohibitions as any other private business not otherwise restricted--meaning NONE--unless they post.

The only law regulating carry in banks/credit unions in NC is § 14‑415.11.(c), which prohibits CONCEALED carry in a financial institution. No mention is made of Open Carry, which means it is LEGAL (unless the building is posted against open carry or ANY carry specifically)

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-415.11.html

Any activity NOT prohibited is Legal. That's how the law works in the USA...

KNOW the Law.

Have CONFIDENCE in your knowledge and your Rights.

Be polite, level-headed, and be able to QUOTE statute numbers.

And have your recorder running...

Carry On...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 04-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I've done it in the Raleigh area and in the Sylva area several times without issue.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

My branch recently switched from the no weapons to no concealed weapons. I don't go in there much, but have kicked around the idea. Usually just go to the drive through if possible.

Anybody have any experience at BOA? I have my military account there otherwise I 'd go elsewhere. Stopped by Wilson to make a deposit at its only ATM, which wasn't taking deposits at the time. I was OCing of course. Thought about going inside, but chickened out. So many years of "one doesn't mess around in a bank" drilled into me as a societal norm. I didn't even check for signs.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Anybody have any experience at BOA? I have my military account there otherwise I 'd go elsewhere. Stopped by Wilson to make a deposit at its only ATM, which wasn't taking deposits at the time. I was OCing of course. Thought about going inside, but chickened out. So many years of "one doesn't mess around in a bank" drilled into me as a societal norm. I didn't even check for signs.
    I have OC'ed in BOA several times. As of now, no issues. I've even OC'ed into a BOA a few weeks after it was robbed. no issues.

I had (and still kinda do) the same mentality about banks. I've only been OCing in banks for about a month now. My heart still starts to beat faster when their greeter person approaches me to ask what I'm there for.

mattwestm
    The BoA branch I go to in Greenville isn't posted, but I've never OC'd in there

I OC at my local SECU branch quite frequently.

Last time I went in, I had to talk with one of the bankers who have an office, since I had something to take care of with my account. Me and the bank guy walk into his office, I close the door, and he sees I have my gun on me (while he's sitting down). So he mentions that he didn't know it was legal to carry in a bank. I told him I'd stake every last penny in my account that I could, then proceeded to tell him that there's no federal statute against carry in a bank, and that the only law on the books in NC is dealing with concealed carry, not OC. Then, I went on and told him that I'm (essentially) a free walking deterrent whenever I'm in the branch, he agreed, and we finished the business I had with him.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

I truely believe when places put up the "no concealed weapons " that they believe ALL types of carry are banned. Alot of people dont know any better. Its a good test though.

i OC in the secu in thomasville every other week i even OC while i got my taxes done and either no one noticed or they didnt mind

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    I truely believe when places put up the "no concealed weapons " that they believe ALL types of carry are banned. Alot of people dont know any better. Its a good test though.
    Even if you are right, which I don't think you are, banks in NC would be different IMO, since CC is banned by statute, and OC is not.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Since I work for a financial institution, this is one of those situations I will probably not explore. There are PLENTY of places for me to OC without giving my employer a reason to let me go.

Baby steps.....

OC'd into the BOA foyer to use their ATM (Wilson). No signs at all! Lot's of looks from folks of Mexican nationality.

With a military account I have to ask for a deposit slip as they are not out front, then I could see people, seeing me write on a piece of paper at the teller's counter, all while OCing. I know, I know, no big deal. Baby steps.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

i usually do go through the drive thru at the ncsecu and at most of the banks i deal with.
    last week, i had time if i was detained, so i went in. didn't have any problems. i did think i saw someone else leave before me carrying.
    went on to First Citizens and got there just as they were opening. one of the suits was opening the door. we said our greetings, but then i thought i detected a "look" as i came closer. he didn't say anything about it and i went on in and all the tellers knew me. he went on. i looked to see if a sign went up today but didn't see one
    just in case it was the town i was in, i went to the NCSECU in elkin. no one objected

I OC today in the brand new SECU in Randelman. A few funny looks from a teller and a customer but not a word said. I had my voice recorder rolling the entire time. I haven't been that nervous in a while.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice