• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City Parks

stuckinchico

In tunnel hill Ga i stumbled across a park that has a no firearms sign. It is my understanding that this is actually illegal for the city to post this Am i missing something as to how they still have this up ?

Kingfish

It is unlawful for a local government to have an ordnance against lawful carry in parks. It is not unlawful for them to have an unenforced no-guns sign. From what I have found Tunnel Hill does not have an ordinance prohibiting carry. They might have at one time or whoever is in charge of the signs just does not like guns. If you are a frequent visitor or resident of the area you may want to contact them to have them take down or coverup the useless sign(s).

aadvark

stuckinchico:

In Accordance with Georgia Code 16-11-173, Tunnel Hill can not have an Ordinance that is more Restrictive than State Law.

Georgia Law 16-11-126(g), Authorizes Firearms in State Parks under the Authority of The Department, and under Georgia Law, as Citied above, Cities and Counties have to Allow Firearms in Local Parks, as well.

Furthermore, I Reference the Following Sources: http://www.georgiacarry.org/

aadvark

Last edited:

aadvark

stuckinchico:

This Ordinance by Tunnel Hill is InValid.

Under Georgia Code, Tunnel Hill is Preempted.

Georgia Code 16-11-173 Preempts and Precludes Local Governments from having Local Ordinances that are more Restrictive than State Law.

aadvark

stuckinchico

Issue resolved

I went in on Monday and talked to the City administrator. He told me he knew the law and that he didnt know the sign was there. I drove by today and all the signs were down. That was the easiest 2nd amendment thing that i have ever encountered