• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tips / suggestions for a newbie

condeist

Hello everyone! I am a proud new gun owner (Glock 23) and new to this board as well, and I am very interested in open carrying, although I have never done it. I was just wondering if any experienced open carriers have any tips, suggestions, or simply any valuable information I should know, before I open carry for the first time.

Dreamer

Welcome!

The best advice I can give is to watch this forum, and read some of the older threads--there is a LOT of great info on here...

Franklin Co. is the rural area NE of Raleigh--OC should be pretty well-accepted in your area, but since I don't have any personal experience OCing there, I can't speak directly to the attitudes of local Law Enforcement, or your Sheriff's department. Rural areas tend to be MUCH ore accepting about OC though, so if Franklin Co fits the general trends of the rest of the state, you probably won't get much attention OCing.

Buy an inexpensive digital voice recorder and carry it all the time. You can get an RCA unit at WalMart for under $35. Voice recorders can be a REAL asset if you do get hassled by some rogue LEO, and the knowledge that you are recording an interaction can go a long way to keep citizens AND LEOs polite, legal, and within the bounds of the law in their interactions.

You need to be VERY familiar with NC law if you're going to OC--we have some weird laws, and the list of "prohibited areas" where you can't carry is long and doesn't really make any sort of logical sense.

Go to the NC DOJ website, and download the "NC Gun Law" booklet. It is a PDF, and has a lot of the basic info you need to know spelled out in black and white. You can also download it from the "Grass Roots North Carolina" website, or view it as an HTML document:

http://www.grnc.org/firearms.htm

And ask a LOT of questions. We've got some very knowledgeable folks on this forum, and we're more than happy to point you int he right direction.

Good luck, and welcome.

Last edited:

condeist

Thanks Dreamer! I have downloaded the booklet and will read it over the coming days. But I have a question about recording the police. Some states have laws that say, well, that you cant do it. Are you familiar with NC laws pertaining to the recording of police? Have you or anyone you know had to record the police in relation to an open carrying experience?
http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/23/another-illinois-resident-char

Thanks again!

condeist

Also...

I forgot to mention that while I live in Franklin County, I live on the Wake Co. line, and I spend a substantial amount of time in Wake County, mainly Wake Forest and Raleigh. I'm assuming what you mean about rural v. urban counties is not that the law is different, but that police attitudes are different, no? How should being in Wake County alter my approach to open carrying, considering the laws are the same?

Thanks

elixin77

we live in a single party consent state when it comes to recording conversations. In other words, as soon as you hit the record button on your recorder, the one party consent is satisfied - it doesn't matter if there are 1823508935023 people around you - as long as one person consents to the recording, the other 99.9% are screwed.

As for carrying in Wake, you might get harassed a bit more, but I believe the Raleigh PD are pretty well aware of the law (I could be shooting words right out of my ass on this one though).

Just make sure you lurk for a few pages back, as many questions will be answered by then.

chiefjason

Know the laws, know the laws, know the case law, know where you can carry, know why you can carry.

Oh, and know the laws.

Welcome aboard.

Sc0tt

As for carrying in Wake, you might get harassed a bit more, but I believe the Raleigh PD are pretty well aware of the law (I could be shooting words right out of my ass on this one though).

I was in a gas station with 6 Raleigh Police officers (could of been a BLET class Im not sure), as well as 2 sheriffs and not a word was said to me. Most LEO's in Wake are pretty aware of the laws.

My advice. be prepared.
Dont just say "NC laws says" be able to quote statutes, as well as the names of cases the more educated you are the less willing someone harassing you is to cont when they realize you know what the hell your talking about.

If someone ask you why you carry know what your going to say in that instance before they question comes up.

Personally I avoid encounters with LE unless I start it. If a cop approaches me it usually goes something like this:
COP: Can I talk to you for a second?
ME: Why? Am I being detained or something?
COP: No, I just....
ME: Ok then officer you have a nice _____(insert verb) and stay safe

Get a voice recorder, and when ever you OC make sure you have it with you. Anytime someone approaches you about OC, no matter how friendly make sure you are recording. This esp goes for LE, managers, staff, ect, ect... (you never know when it will go from yeah I have a gun at home to ..... but you dont see me lugging it around like I want to be a bad ass, people can turn quick)

I carry that pamphlet with me at least one in my wallet and usually 2 in my car so I can educated people when necessary.

Lastly, If your going to OC make sure you do so properly, get some-kind of retention holster,

CarryHard

I was in a gas station with 6 Raleigh Police officers (could of been a BLET class Im not sure), as well as 2 sheriffs and not a word was said to me. Most LEO's in Wake are pretty aware of the laws.

My advice. be prepared.
Dont just say "NC laws says" be able to quote statutes, as well as the names of cases the more educated you are the less willing someone harassing you is to cont when they realize you know what the hell your talking about.

If someone ask you why you carry know what your going to say in that instance before they question comes up.

Personally I avoid encounters with LE unless I start it. If a cop approaches me it usually goes something like this:
COP: Can I talk to you for a second?
ME: Why? Am I being detained or something?
COP: No, I just....
ME: Ok then officer you have a nice _____(insert verb) and stay safe

Get a voice recorder, and when ever you OC make sure you have it with you. Anytime someone approaches you about OC, no matter how friendly make sure you are recording. This esp goes for LE, managers, staff, ect, ect... (you never know when it will go from yeah I have a gun at home to ..... but you dont see me lugging it around like I want to be a bad ass, people can turn quick)

I carry that pamphlet with me at least one in my wallet and usually 2 in my car so I can educated people when necessary.

Lastly, If your going to OC make sure you do so properly, get some-kind of retention holster,

These people are all telling you what to do from a political/LEO encounter situation

I would however suggest you take some thought about carrying a loaded gun with you

Heres my .02
Having a civil conversation with someone is a cake walk compared to dealing with a psycho on the street or someone who would rob you

This OC'er had his gun stolen while he was carrying it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY

Also another user had someone attempt to grab his gun inside a target store
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75201-Target-Encounter-Everett-Washington

Another OC'er had his gun taken from him (somehow) and he was killed with his own gun.
http://www.romingerlegal.com/northcarolina/HTML/000198-1.htm

I would suggest you know & practice what your going to do if someone trys to rob you or grab your gun

Also i suggest getting a REAL holster, level 3 retention.

Some might argue carrying a gun openly makes you a bigger target then not carrying one.

Last edited:

Smith45acp

My most useful advice, assuming you know how to handle a gun already, is to learn the laws of the land.

I have and continue to research firearm related laws. This has also led me to educate myself on the Constitution. There was a time in the not so distant past, when almost anyone who could read wanted to be an expert regarding our Constitution. It's not difficult and I recommend the effort. Lots of good books out there to supplement the original document.

Knowing the law inside and out will breed confidence, and the more confident you are the more prepared you will be if you are ever put on the spot by overzealous and undereducated LEO's or sheeple.

To look at a seasoned OC'er you'd think he had nothing more than a cell phone strapped to his belt. Smiling and confident, he goes about his business without glancing around nervously for reactions. That's the 'air' you need to establish for yourself and it will put others more at ease to boot.

Sc0tt

These people are all telling you what to do from a political/LEO encounter situation

How are we going to say "These" People and quote 1 person.

Heres some advice: Be careful there are some concealed carry instructors with problematic logic, bad advice, who openly say they dont OC, and are more than happy to give you all the downfalls of OC vs the GREAT CC instead.....

EDIT: Not point fingers though...

Last edited: