• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quick answer needed....what % of MN residents have a CC permit?

AaronS

The background check wouldnt even have to be done...YOU WOULD konw if youre legal to carry...the LEOs/DNR people can look up at anytime to see if youve been convicted of a felony and are prohibited from posessing a firearm...so, just carry!

Now this idea will save us money for sure. I vote for it!

Captain Nemo

I think the percentages shown in 2004 are still pretty valid. The figure for Minnesota was .45%. Even if you increased that 10 fold to 4.5% it still would only be 250,000 out of a population of 5,000,000 people. That is part of the problem. Most politicians and certainly the anti's are of the opinion that people are going to flock enmasse to the local sheriff to purchase a carry permit. The figures speak otherwise. The cost of a permit system will be a permanent annual drain on the state budgt. There just won't be enough traffic to make it self-sustaining. After the initial surge annual growth diminishes rapidly. I suspect that is part of the reason some states have adopted constitutional carry. The cost of maintaining a shall issue permit system is too costly.

Just my opinion

oak1971

If you look at this link it shows the yearly concealed carry permits for MN.

http://www.madfi.org/permitcount.asp

There are now over 3x the number of permits as was in 2004

:banana: Good to know.

permitcountlogo.png

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

phred:

That is still only 67,500 permits out of a population of 5,000,000. 1.35%

Wisconsin's state population is about 5,500,000 or roughly the same.
After the initial surge I would expect the number of permit holders in Wisconsin to be near the same as Minnesota. When you think about it that is only 10% of the number of hunters that hit the woods each November for deer hunting.

Unfortunately it's hard to fight paranoia and myths. 67,500 people walking around thoughout a state with a population of 5,500,000 people is hardly going to make the streets run red with blood.

Even using your figures the figures will not sustain the program. It will just end up being another burden on the taxpayers and the state budget.

Last edited: