Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: URGENT!! HEARING WEDNESDAY ON HUNTER BILL attacking Self-Defense

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    URGENT!! HEARING WEDNESDAY ON HUNTER BILL attacking Self-Defense

    Rep. Hunter pushes 11th-hour anti-self-defense measure; Hearing Wednesday!


    A bill that would strip Washington citizens of a unique self-defense protection is being fast-tracked by its sponsor, anti-gun State Rep. Ross Hunter (D-48th District), who unveiled the measure on Saturday and has it scheduled for a hearing before the House Ways & Means Committee which he chairs on Wednesday at 3 p.m. in Olympia.


    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ring-wednesday

  2. #2
    Regular Member DevinWKuska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spanaway
    Posts
    300
    Holy strawberries! Hmm I will see if I can make it down and protest before the meeting, or atleast try to sneak in and protest!

    On a side note... Using Officer Birk as an example of the protection being removed is almost insulting. Officer birk killed mr walker in cold blood. Not one witness say they believe he defended himself
    Last edited by DevinWKuska; 04-12-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: reducing number of posts
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

  3. #3
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  4. #4
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    Holy strawberries! Hmm I will see if I can make it down and protest before the meeting, or atleast try to sneak in and protest!

    On a side note... Using Officer Birk as an example of the protection being removed is almost insulting. Officer birk killed mr walker in cold blood. Not one witness say they believe he defended himself
    Who's "Mr Walker"? I believe you were referring to John T. Williams.

    As for Ian Birk benefiting in any manner from the current law, he didn't. His shooting of John Williams was not ruled self defense by any jury after prosecution.

    In the Troy Meade case, the jury found that he wasn't acting in Self Defense so he didn't benefit from the law either.

    The proposed legislative action would not have made a difference in either of those cases.
    Last edited by amlevin; 04-12-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    871
    This bill has been removed from the public meeting schedule for tomorrow. No explanation as to why.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    In the Troy Meade case, the jury found that he wasn't acting in Self Defense so he didn't benefit from the law either.
    .
    He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  7. #7
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.
    What legal fee?

    The DA refused to prosecute.. What did I miss here? He was suspended, then fired.. There was a legal case somewhere?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lolo, MT
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.
    Why would the city pick up his $200,000+ legal fee if he was found to not be acting in self defense??? Do you have a link to this?

    Also, why would the city foot the bill if the law says it comes out of the STATE budget?
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

  9. #9
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.
    Check again. Everett's legal fees for the "Trigger Troy" case are at $500,000 with more to come. The costs are still rising because they haven't decided to fire him yet (or not).

    They tried to change the root cause of this kind of problem in Wisconsin by eliminating collective bargaining for public employees. Look what it's done for them. Near riots by union followers. Firing a bad cop is almost as difficult, and expensive, as firing a bad teacher.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  10. #10
    Regular Member DevinWKuska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spanaway
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.
    Mr Birk is a city worker/LEO you will be picking up the tab regardless. Mr Hunters bill will make it so if you shoot someone invading your home or robbing/murdering you, you will have to pay the legal costs, and damages. Good to know that your for victimizing the victim.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

  11. #11
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    Mr Birk is a city worker/LEO you will be picking up the tab regardless. Mr Hunters bill will make it so if you shoot someone invading your home or robbing/murdering you, you will have to pay the legal costs, and damages. Good to know that your for victimizing the victim.
    City or government workers that operate outside of the policies that govern their jobs could be held liable for their own legal expenses. That is unless the unions have negotiated (make that extorted) different terms.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Check again. Everett's legal fees for the "Trigger Troy" case are at $500,000 with more to come. The costs are still rising because they haven't decided to fire him yet (or not).

    They tried to change the root cause of this kind of problem in Wisconsin by eliminating collective bargaining for public employees. Look what it's done for them. Near riots by union followers. Firing a bad cop is almost as difficult, and expensive, as firing a bad teacher.
    Total costs yes. The last report I read said his actual legal defense fees were in the mid $200,000. Did I miss something other than that plus his salary, the cities legal expenses and settlement for the civil suit?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    What legal fee?

    The DA refused to prosecute.. What did I miss here? He was suspended, then fired.. There was a legal case somewhere?
    You are talking about Ian Birk, who quit before he was terminated. I am talking about Everett Officer Troy Meade.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by therealcombat View Post
    Why would the city pick up his $200,000+ legal fee if he was found to not be acting in self defense??? Do you have a link to this?

    Also, why would the city foot the bill if the law says it comes out of the STATE budget?
    http://heraldnet.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/706109880

    Meade's defense costing Everett taxpayers big money
    Taxpayers will pick up the $250,000 bill for defending an Everett police officer who was accused of murdering a drunken Stanwood man during a line-of-duty shooting a year ago today.
    Date: 06/10/10 | Local News
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  15. #15
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    This bill has been removed from the public meeting schedule for tomorrow. No explanation as to why.
    Maybe they are going to pull an Obama and just pass a bill through, against what "We the People want"
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  16. #16
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by amzbrady View Post
    Maybe they are going to pull an Obama and just pass a bill through, against what "We the People want"
    Unless is something like ....a sports stadium or something, I am sure they can't do that.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  17. #17
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    Total costs yes. The last report I read said his actual legal defense fees were in the mid $200,000. Did I miss something other than that plus his salary, the cities legal expenses and settlement for the civil suit?
    Check this out http://heraldnet.com/article/2011040...9999/-1/blog48

    The billings for the legal expenses associated with the "Trigger Troy" case are at over $458,000 and climbing. Scroll down in the chart supplied to about the last 1/4 of the list. This is only "legal expenses", not counting his salary and the cost of the settlement. There were several other billings with other firms that might also have been related but not included directly in the cost of this case.

    Makes one wonder what could have been saved if a week after the shooting all parties had a meeting. Fire the officer and give him some "get out of town money". Then settle with the family. Bound to have saved at least half a mil or so. Only losers would have been a couple of law firms. Poor babies.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    This bill has been removed from the public meeting schedule for tomorrow. No explanation as to why.
    I sent twentyfive emails yesterday to every politician I could locate. Of all I E'd, only two responded(they were not supporting the bill- Orcutt,Ed and Baily,Barbara) Maybe they got the idea we were unhappy with HB 2067
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 04-13-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling problem, sholdn't write when I'm angry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •