• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT!! HEARING WEDNESDAY ON HUNTER BILL attacking Self-Defense

Dave Workman

Rep. Hunter pushes 11th-hour anti-self-defense measure; Hearing Wednesday!

A bill that would strip Washington citizens of a unique self-defense protection is being fast-tracked by its sponsor, anti-gun State Rep. Ross Hunter (D-48th District), who unveiled the measure on Saturday and has it scheduled for a hearing before the House Ways & Means Committee – which he chairs – on Wednesday at 3 p.m. in Olympia.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...r-anti-self-defense-measure-hearing-wednesday

DevinWKuska

Holy strawberries! Hmm I will see if I can make it down and protest before the meeting, or atleast try to sneak in and protest!

On a side note... Using Officer Birk as an example of the protection being removed is almost insulting. Officer birk killed mr walker in cold blood. Not one witness say they believe he defended himself

Last edited:

amlevin

Holy strawberries! Hmm I will see if I can make it down and protest before the meeting, or atleast try to sneak in and protest!

On a side note... Using Officer Birk as an example of the protection being removed is almost insulting. Officer birk killed mr walker in cold blood. Not one witness say they believe he defended himself

Who's "Mr Walker"? I believe you were referring to John T. Williams.

As for Ian Birk benefiting in any manner from the current law, he didn't. His shooting of John Williams was not ruled self defense by any jury after prosecution.

In the Troy Meade case, the jury found that he wasn't acting in Self Defense so he didn't benefit from the law either.

The proposed legislative action would not have made a difference in either of those cases.

Last edited:

joeroket

In the Troy Meade case, the jury found that he wasn't acting in Self Defense so he didn't benefit from the law either.

He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.

VW_Factor

He didn't benefit but I, as a tax payer, suffered. The city picked up his $200,000+ legal fee. There is something Mr. Hunter can change that I will not be opposed to.

What legal fee?

The DA refused to prosecute.. What did I miss here? He was suspended, then fired.. There was a legal case somewhere?

therealcombat

Why would the city pick up his $200,000+ legal fee if he was found to not be acting in self defense??? Do you have a link to this?

Also, why would the city foot the bill if the law says it comes out of the STATE budget?

amlevin

Check again. Everett's legal fees for the "Trigger Troy" case are at $500,000 with more to come. The costs are still rising because they haven't decided to fire him yet (or not).

They tried to change the root cause of this kind of problem in Wisconsin by eliminating collective bargaining for public employees. Look what it's done for them. Near riots by union followers. Firing a bad cop is almost as difficult, and expensive, as firing a bad teacher.

DevinWKuska

Mr Birk is a city worker/LEO you will be picking up the tab regardless. Mr Hunters bill will make it so if you shoot someone invading your home or robbing/murdering you, you will have to pay the legal costs, and damages. Good to know that your for victimizing the victim.:cuss:

amlevin

Mr Birk is a city worker/LEO you will be picking up the tab regardless. Mr Hunters bill will make it so if you shoot someone invading your home or robbing/murdering you, you will have to pay the legal costs, and damages. Good to know that your for victimizing the victim.:cuss:

City or government workers that operate outside of the policies that govern their jobs could be held liable for their own legal expenses. That is unless the unions have negotiated (make that extorted) different terms.

joeroket

Check again. Everett's legal fees for the "Trigger Troy" case are at $500,000 with more to come. The costs are still rising because they haven't decided to fire him yet (or not).

They tried to change the root cause of this kind of problem in Wisconsin by eliminating collective bargaining for public employees. Look what it's done for them. Near riots by union followers. Firing a bad cop is almost as difficult, and expensive, as firing a bad teacher.

Total costs yes. The last report I read said his actual legal defense fees were in the mid $200,000. Did I miss something other than that plus his salary, the cities legal expenses and settlement for the civil suit?

joeroket

Why would the city pick up his $200,000+ legal fee if he was found to not be acting in self defense??? Do you have a link to this?

Also, why would the city foot the bill if the law says it comes out of the STATE budget?

http://heraldnet.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/706109880

Meade's defense costing Everett taxpayers big money
Taxpayers will pick up the $250,000 bill for defending an Everett police officer who was accused of murdering a drunken Stanwood man during a line-of-duty shooting a year ago today.
Date: 06/10/10 | Local News

amlevin

Total costs yes. The last report I read said his actual legal defense fees were in the mid $200,000. Did I miss something other than that plus his salary, the cities legal expenses and settlement for the civil suit?

Check this out http://heraldnet.com/article/20110407/BLOG48/704109999/-1/blog48

The billings for the legal expenses associated with the "Trigger Troy" case are at over $458,000 and climbing. Scroll down in the chart supplied to about the last 1/4 of the list. This is only "legal expenses", not counting his salary and the cost of the settlement. There were several other billings with other firms that might also have been related but not included directly in the cost of this case.

Makes one wonder what could have been saved if a week after the shooting all parties had a meeting. Fire the officer and give him some "get out of town money". Then settle with the family. Bound to have saved at least half a mil or so. Only losers would have been a couple of law firms. Poor babies.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This bill has been removed from the public meeting schedule for tomorrow. No explanation as to why.

I sent twentyfive emails yesterday to every politician I could locate. Of all I E'd, only two responded(they were not supporting the bill- Orcutt,Ed and Baily,Barbara) Maybe they got the idea we were unhappy with HB 2067

Last edited: