Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AB144 Passes Committee 4-2

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA

AB144 Passes Committee 4-2

I'm now confused - does this mean that it's banned?
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA
    Not yet has to be voted on by assembly then senate and then signed by the governor. There is still hope that we won't be forced to carry long guns.

The public safety committee just votes to see if the bill is worthy of being a "legitimate" bill to be voted on by the full legislature and congress. A sort of prescreening to make sure it fits the "public safety" requirements. And as most of the PS committee are hoplophbic party line democrats of course its given the stamp of approval to go to the house.

The next steps will include votes from the house and then the senate to see if it passes for the governors signature, but the bill may get ammended or altrered in the process, requiring revoting. With fewer Republicans in the state legislature this year, the likelihood of a sucessful stall or delaying tactic may not work this year (as it did last year), which means it will most likely go to JB's desk. The question then is can he be persuaded not to sign?
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

OK - I fully understand now. I'm not too familiar with how the whole "law-signing" process works. I didn't do so well in Gov't class in HS. Thanks for the heads-up Firmark! :-)
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

I wonder if anyone will deliberately open carry if this passes just to get it thrown out in court

A while back I put my name up for a test case, if we don't get shall issue from the lower courts or from SOCTUS, and if I am refused a CCW. I also want Alan Gura to handle my case. Who pays him to represent my case is still to be decided.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    A while back I put my name up for a test case, if we don't get shall issue from the lower courts or from SOCTUS, and if I am refused a CCW. I also want Alan Gura to handle my case. Who pays him to represent my case is still to be decided.
    I think you can find an attorney who will work for what ever the court awards on this. Me personally I wouldnt know what to do with the money( except by machine guns to play with ):P Some attorneys might take this just to get their name out to the firearm community.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinchico View Post
    I think you can find an attorney who will work for what ever the court awards on this. Me personally I wouldnt know what to do with the money( except by machine guns to play with ):P Some attorneys might take this just to get their name out to the firearm community.
    Where my freedom is concerned, I don't want just any attorney. I want the BEST!
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    Where my freedom is concerned, I don't want just any attorney. I want the BEST!
    Sadly, jurisprudence is only for those who can afford it, in this day and age.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

I wonder if anyone will deliberately open carry if this passes just to get it thrown out in court
    SO long as the bills' language doesnt change, if it passes, the day it goes into effect im sure every UOC'r in CA will immediately switch to shotgun/rifle carry.

Watch how fast the sheeple get scared then. Of course all those with AK's and AR builds will be slinging big black rifles around and that will get everybodys attention.

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    SO long as the bills' language doesnt change, if it passes, the day it goes into effect im sure every UOC'r in CA will immediately switch to shotgun/rifle carry.

Watch how fast the sheeple get scared then. Of course all those with AK's and AR builds will be slinging big black rifles around and that will get everybodys attention.
    What many are forgetting, is that the bill only prohibits unloaded firearms. So, in short- yes- there will still be open carry activity involving handguns.

The open carry of OLL or 'black rifles' is being strongly discouraged by the Calguns leadership- if this is heeded, there are other suitable arms to carry that will have as significant impact- such as shotguns, carbines, and other long guns. In my view, nothing will make a statement like a Mosin-Nagnt 91/30 with bayonet fixed- even unloaded, its a formidable weapon equivilent to a 6 foot spike. I also think that blades would also be suitable defensive weapons to protest with.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    What many are forgetting, is that the bill only prohibits unloaded firearms. So, in short- yes- there will still be open carry activity involving handguns.

The open carry of OLL or 'black rifles' is being strongly discouraged by the Calguns leadership- if this is heeded, there are other suitable arms to carry that will have as significant impact- such as shotguns, carbines, and other long guns. In my view, nothing will make a statement like a Mosin-Nagnt 91/30 with bayonet fixed- even unloaded, its a formidable weapon equivilent to a 6 foot spike. I also think that blades would also be suitable defensive weapons to protest with.
    The M91 will be even more formidable.

M1 with a fixed bayonet lmao Man im not missing CA at all but Since i do have property out there i still bombard representatives on behalf of p*ssed of residents

I've got my short-barreled M44, complete with scope and 10" bayonet ready to go!

After that I'm considering a Hi-Point 995.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

And I am sure that every single rifle that is carried and filmed by the media will be designated by them and the brady campaign as an "Assault Weapon" because it cant possible be anything else...

I mean we have "Assault Clips" now, coming soon to your neighborhood Assault bore cleaners, Assault holsters, Assualt t shirts, Assault shaving cream, and Assault salt...
    Last edited by Firemark; 04-13-2011 at 01:19 PM.

OMG here we go again ....

Quote Originally Posted by ccrews View Post
    Not yet has to be voted on by assembly then senate and then signed by the governor. There is still hope that we won't be forced to carry long guns.
    First Lori Soldana now this Portano dude...we go through this annually since the UOC movement started in Cali...there have been huge strides on getting this UOC to be accepted by the public in general...but again we are up against the politicians who are trying to "Empire build" themselves ...last year everyone in San Diego county was under the impression that if this UOC was actually banned then we were all going to be issued CCW permits by Christmas.....that never happened...and although I have a very high end AR15 and tactical shotguns available for imminent deployment I don't feel that this is the answer....I know there are plans afoot to go for LOC which is what the Police Departments are allowed...I would like to see it being an option whether to LOC or Concealed Carry loaded....then again pigs may fly !!! Can't see anything being done by NRA or GOA (tried looking for any info concerning this ) and a pitiful 830 signatures on a petition doesn't really add up to much. So UOC'ers where do we all go from here...you know that governor moonbeam will sign this into law as soon as it lands on his desk!!!! Carry on till its banned
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    First Lori Soldana now this Portano dude...we go through this annually since the UOC movement started in Cali...there have been huge strides on getting this UOC to be accepted by the public in general...but again we are up against the politicians who are trying to "Empire build" themselves ...last year everyone in San Diego county was under the impression that if this UOC was actually banned then we were all going to be issued CCW permits by Christmas.....that never happened...and although I have a very high end AR15 and tactical shotguns available for imminent deployment I don't feel that this is the answer....I know there are plans afoot to go for LOC which is what the Police Departments are allowed...I would like to see it being an option whether to LOC or Concealed Carry loaded....then again pigs may fly !!! Can't see anything being done by NRA or GOA (tried looking for any info concerning this ) and a pitiful 830 signatures on a petition doesn't really add up to much. So UOC'ers where do we all go from here...you know that governor moonbeam will sign this into law as soon as it lands on his desk!!!! Carry on till its banned
    Where do we all go from here ? I'm thinking Arizona, or Nevada, even Oregon, let Kali sink into the
    rogue criminal element its being tested for. Where by gangs and thugs rule, and not enough LEO's
    to protect the people.
    Then those who remain in Kali, and voted for the people they wanted in office will have just what they wanted.

Kaliofornia is a stacked deck ! Its sad Robin47

Could someone take the state to court for infringing on their rights by not allowing any form of firearm carry. Something along the lines of Heller or the Chicago cases.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 04-14-2011 at 08:18 PM.

I seem to recall that the price tag for the Heller case was in excess of 6 mill. The McDonald case has not yet been released, that I know of, but my guess would be very close to or past the Heller case.
    Last edited by Iopencarry; 04-14-2011 at 11:19 PM.

My take on this bill, as set forth in section 26388, makes it a crime to Openly Carry an Unloaded Handgun on Public Lands unless the person carrying that handgun is listed as the registered owner with the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 11106.

Handgun registration has only been required since 1991 and is only required on the sale/transfer of new handguns sold within California. Nothing in the law compelled owners of legally acquired handguns prior to this date (law) to register said handguns. However, if this bill passes, it will require all citizens of the State of California to either register said handguns, if unloaded open carried on public lands or risk arrest.

Based on the proposed bills definitions it would include those people simply removing there lawfully transported and unloaded handgun from its locked container, once on public lands (BLM) and carrying said unloaded weapon from their vehicle to a firing line.

Additionally, this bill will certainly be construed as Unconstitutionally Vague and in short order challenged in court costing the State (California tax payers) to defend such a poorly written law.

In conclusion AB 144 will inadvertently cause citizens, currently in possession of legally owned handguns, to become criminal’s by virtue of the date of purchase.

I would think our legislators, at this time, have more important issues at hand than making criminals of law-abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrews View Post
    what can we do to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    My take on this bill, as set forth in section 26388, makes it a crime to Openly Carry an Unloaded Handgun on Public Lands unless the person carrying that handgun is listed as the registered owner with the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 11106.
    26388 would read as follows:

26388. Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open
    carrying of an unloaded handgun on publicly owned land, if the
    possession and use of a handgun is specifically permitted by the
    managing agency of the land
    and the person carrying that handgun is
    listed as the registered owner of that handgun with the Department of
    Justice pursuant to Section 11106.
    Without "specific permission" by the "managing agency of the land", it is still a misdemeanor to UOC a registered handgun. It becomes a felony if the gun is unregistered (see 26350).

If this bill fails, I have a feeling there will be a big push by open carriers to be left alone. By this i mean more "protests" more public interaction. Just a shear step up in demanding that our rights get left alone and they dont try this again

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    And I am sure that every single rifle that is carried and filmed by the media will be designated by them and the brady campaign as an "Assault Weapon" because it cant possible be anything else...

I mean we have "Assault Clips" now, coming soon to your neighborhood Assault bore cleaners, Assault holsters, Assualt t shirts, Assault shaving cream, and Assault salt...
    They say that timing is everything. Maybe the proper timing of long gun open carry across the state should occur say a week or so BEFORE the vote to ban UOC of handguns. The media message is that our legislature is pushing gun rights advocates into a more "extreme" (offensive) postion by passing this bill.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast